Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Its exactly the experience I have in my department: there are simply less issues with Mac users. Almost all support tickets come from the Windows crowd.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
So according to you the 130 000 Apple devices deployed to IBMs 400 000 employees have all gone to previous Apple fans? Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that IBM had that many Apple fans. I wonder if all large, PC-oriented companies are hiding closeted Apple fans?

Or you could be wrong and the Apple experience really is better. Hmmm....

That's 130K iOS and Macs devices altogether. You can be sure the vast majority of those are iPhones. Obviously, he was referring to just the Macs going to previous Apple fans.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I don't think that's it at all. Based on what I see at my company, Mac users don't expect much from Help Desk drones, so they are more likely to try to fix things themselves.

Possibly, but it is just easier to figure things out on Macs.

My father is 86 plus and started using computers with a PC about 6-8 years ago. He needed help all the time.
Since I switched him to a Mac I have to help very little.

All the while he was complaining that the MAC wasn't like his PC. People do not like change)

Sometimes he likes an older version of an app better, say iMovie (because that's what he learned and remembers) and he unfortunately updates everything, clicks on everything and just wants the window pop ups to go away.
("They bother me") Despite that behavior he hasn't caught any malware yet.

Once I taught him that instead of calling me to google the problem I have to help even less.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I was at this presentation and I just want to make an observation. Every article I read on this glosses over the fact that Previn said 24 techs was not enough. It's not a

step one buy macs/casper
step two ?????
step three fire all our support staff and profit

I fear a bunch of corporate grognards are going to read some sensationalistic articles and say BRILLIANT FIRE ALL THE HELP DESK!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I heard Microsoft, Intel and some Windows OEMs are doing a huge ad campaign this fall focusing on what a PC can do. Apparently the marketing chiefs were having a conference call with Wall Street investors today to talk about it. Really, in 2015 you need an ad campaign to remind people what computers can do?

Reactions: page404

SYSADM123

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
While this may eventually help Apple long term they have a ways to go to make any inroads in the corporate environment. While there have been many revisions to their OS, they still can't fully integrate into Active Directory which is painful to manage in a mixed environment.

On the mobile side, what they make their users go through to upgrade their iPhone is just plain torture. Android has them beat for simplicity there. Just login with your gmail or outlook account and all of your apps, etc pull from google drive or one drive and your data comes along with it.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
This is what has me torn about the iMacs. I enjoy the mac WAY more than I enjoy my PC, and I've no doubt got some grey hairs from some PC problems this year.

But man, they just don't have a sweet spot for a 3d artist in their product lineup.

Frankly, it's what they should do.

If Microsoft don't wish to suffer the fate of Blackberry, they need to shut down their hardware and concentrate on services. Tough words, but the truth hurts.

I suspect you are right, which is a shame. Because MS makes great hardware now.

Reactions: page404

Oh-es-Ten

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
London
Switched to Mac OS X in 2005, never looked back - apart from today when all I had to do was to update the DNS server entry on Windows 8.x machine at the office and nearly punched the screen trying to find where to do it. So very frustrating and non-intuive to use...

Windows - right click Start Menu (to avoid Metro start screen), Control Panel, Network Connections, Properties, scroll to find (hidden) TCP/IPv4 settings, Properties, DNS.

On the Mac, System Preferences, Network, Advanced, DNS.

I am not anti-Windows, I just forgot how much of a mess modern Windows is - with two different interfaces smashed on top of each other..

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
This mirrors what we had at UT Southwestern Medical Center. The PC group had 21 employees; the Mac group had 3. Despite having a near 50/50 distribution of Macs and PCs, we Mac support personnel frequently helped the PC group because we didn't have any trouble tickets.

rbwca

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
This news does not surprise me. I recall a report in the mid 1990s that documented that the overall life-cycle cost for operating a Mac in a corporate environment was approximately 30% cheaper than a PC over a 5 year period. The report included the costs for workstation and network configuration, help desk support, software and hardware. I just wish I still had a copy of that report since it would be interesting to compare with today's environment.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Switched to Mac OS X in 2005, never looked back - apart from today when all I had to do was to update the DNS server entry on Windows 8.x machine at the office and nearly punched the screen trying to find where to do it. So very frustrating and non-intuive to use...

Windows - right click Start Menu (to avoid Metro start screen), Control Panel, Network Connections, Properties, scroll to find (hidden) TCP/IPv4 settings, Properties, DNS.

On the Mac, System Preferences, Network, Advanced, DNS.

I am not anti-Windows, I just forgot how much of a mess modern Windows is - with two different interfaces smashed on top of each other..

I hear you, but windows tcp settings have always been there, since xp at least. muscle memory for me at this point

Reactions: jedifaka

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
This to me has been the defining difference between Windows PCs and Macs. I spent twenty years building and selling PCs, and my wife was introduced to them in the late 80s. Generally I would build a new PC for myself every year and the "cast-off" would go to my wife (and hers to the kids), after reformatting and setting up. This continued on for a very long time -- my wife is now a very capable PC user. However, there were always problems here and there. Perfectly normal, from what I was used to. Sometimes fairly stressful Sunday mornings were spent trying to fix an issue she had.

Since I bought a rMBP in 2012 and (soon after) bought her a Macbook Air, she hasn't needed me to solve a problem once. This reduction from occasional (but serious) problem to none is the biggest difference I've noticed in moving to Mac/OSX. The report from IBM is entirely obvious to a regular Mac user, but is likely to be unbelievable to many PC IT departments.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Well, I do computer support for a company with roughly 90 full-time employees. We're split roughly 50/50 between Macs and Windows PCs. (Each new hire gets to choose which one they'd prefer to use, except in a few cases where they're given a Windows machine because of the software they're required to use.)

I'd say we do get about as many trouble tickets put in from the Mac users as from the Windows users, but the vast majority of tickets from the Mac users have to do with email issues using Microsoft Outlook with our hosted Exchange mail server. (A good chunk of those problems could have been avoided if Microsoft would have provided a more robust client with Office 2011. We're seeing that Outlook 2016 on the Macs has a much more solid back-end database it stores email in, since it really uses a MySQL type database. It doesn't spontaneously self-destruct a mailbox just because there are too many messages, calendar entries, etc. in it.)

This mirrors what we had at UT Southwestern Medical Center. The PC group had 21 employees; the Mac group had 3. Despite having a near 50/50 distribution of Macs and PCs, we Mac support personnel frequently helped the PC group because we didn't have any trouble tickets.

Reactions: BillGates1969

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
It's always been known that Windows support costs more than MacOS support. The issue was that the Mac premium used to be pretty large.

These days the premium isn't as large, but it's still there. From a business point of view the premium is now marginal.

PC users still don't believe it, but luckily their beliefs don't matter as much anymore.

Reactions: aarond12

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Having in the last 2 years moved us from 500 Windows machines to a 200 Mac and 300 iPad setup we have seen the same thing , we are not getting anywhere near as many support requests. User just seem to get on with stuff now , and ironically the few times we do have a problem its usually Microsoft office .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.