Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Granted, the iTV probably won't be a DVR, but I'm mostly looking forward to having a jukebox for my DVDs ripped to H264/AAC, and then later on ditching cable altogether (or going with a "basic channels" package) and getting my specialized shows from the iTunes Store (Battlestar Galactica, etc).

Amen, but don't forget bittorrent as a source.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
iTunes will happily play anything quicktime will. Drag a quicktime movie into iTunes, you can play it. Doesn't have to be a downloaded iTunes purchased movie at all. I don't know what the iTV will/won't do exactly, but front row can play anything quicktime can too, can't it?

I just dragged a HD trailer (1080) in, and iTunes played it fullscreen... so I wouldn't worry.

Even if iTV does play anything that Quicktime can play, most of my video files won't play in Quicktime (mostly TV shows). If they make iTunes to work with VLC, that would ROCK because VLC plays anything whereas Quicktime does not play a lot of things.

xenotaku

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
Even if iTV does play anything that Quicktime can play, most of my video files won't play in Quicktime (mostly TV shows). If they make iTunes to work with VLC, that would ROCK because VLC plays anything whereas Quicktime does not play a lot of things.

Yeh...VLC owns Quicktime. And again...iTV with no DVR feature is a waste of money. Buy a damn cable and just plug your ipod into your tv!

coreaudio

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2007

I'm hoping they'll get smart, I've been looking for a set top player for my vids as well... if it plays divx then itv will be first on my shopping list this year.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
No, please, no! Web TV died for a reason. No one wants to combine television and computing.

-Clive

Haha. Fair.

I still think that things have changed though since WebTV. TVs themselves are fundamentally different than they were back then. The intended audience for this will have HD TVs capable of actually displaying web content reasonably. The web has also changed, with more multimedia content and a lot more legitimate entertainment.

I've had my Mini attached to my 50 inch HDTV for almost a year now, and while I don't use it day in and day out, it's great when I just want to check the weather or show someone something from you tube etc...

Just my perspective. I don't think it would take that much more work to allow it to view a mac desktop though, but it would make the product more complex to use than a pure media streaming box.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005

That's a fair point, but there are lots of very easy solutions for converting non-Quicktime files to Quicktime files.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Haha. Fair.

I still think that things have changed though since WebTV. TVs themselves are fundamentally different than they were back then. The intended audience for this will have HD TVs capable of actually displaying web content reasonably. The web has also changed, with more multimedia content and a lot more legitimate entertainment.

I've had my Mini attached to my 50 inch HDTV for almost a year now, and while I don't use it day in and day out, it's great when I just want to check the weather or show someone something from you tube etc...

Just my perspective. I don't think it would take that much more work to allow it to view a mac desktop though, but it would make the product more complex to use than a pure media streaming box.

Much as this is a "cool" idea, you have to think of iTV beyond the mac. In other words, iTV will *also* be for Windows users, and frankly I *can't* see remote desktop for Windows as a feature of iTV.

w00master

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
thats what I have been saying all along! Why the hell do I want something that streams only low quality crap from iTunes to my HDtv?

AHH... But, maybe it won't be low quality after all. maybe itunes will have hd stuff available. Think for a sec. If they introduces a widescreen ipod, they would be smart to at least, make it an option for a higher resolution widescreen video on itunes. U agree?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This needs a DVD Player built in. Though our SkyTV subscription runs out in a few months and seeing it's nothing but crap these days I think an iTV will make a nice replacement.

Wii, iTV and the DVD recorder under the TV would be a lovely little setup.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I think it would be great to be able to use iTV as a remote Mac desktop as well, so one could use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to be able to use it for web browsing and other simple computer type stuff. I can see the argument that it would cannibalize mac sales, but if you were to make that a mac only feature, it's one more reason for people to buy a mac- You effectively get another computer for your living room for $299

PS- Anyone know what the intended use is for the USB port?

Not sure if the USB port is there for this reason alone but I do know ALL new cable/satellite boxes are required to have USB or firewire or ethernet ports on them according to new FCC regulations.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
PS- Anyone know what the intended use is for the USB port?

Probably USB pendrives so you can display photos or connect a card reader to it to do the same......or a keyboard etc etc

The possibilities are endless.......how about a USB external drive with some movies and pictures on....

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This needs a DVD Player built in. Though our SkyTV subscription runs out in a few months and seeing it's nothing but crap these days I think an iTV will make a nice replacement.

Wii, iTV and the DVD recorder under the TV would be a lovely little setup.

You had me until the DVD recorder. What do you need a DVD recorder for? Just curious here. My cunning plan (far from ideal I'm sure) is to replace my cable set top box with something like an Elgato device at the computer and use my computer for all recording - that way the media sits on the computer and can be beamed to my television on demand, and the television is only tethered to a mains power source.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
i might be wrong but i think he already has a DVD recorder?

This is why he states the 'iTV' as a seperate device to the DVD Recorder in his post

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I'm hoping they'll get smart, I've been looking for a set top player for my vids as well... if it plays divx then itv will be first on my shopping list this year.

Agreed on the divx part. If iTV plays only formats that quicktime can, I won't buy it. Let's hope that the platform powering the iTV is open enough for homebrew and hacks.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
at first the UK site still had the macbook splash page, then changed to the 2007 banner for about a day, and has now changed back to the usual macbook splash image.

Apple UK has to sort it out and be consistent with the US site more often. It is not updated with stories, articles, etc enough. I'm sick and tired of the Macbook advertising on there, getting a little long in the tooth. Why can't we run the I'm a Mac adverts on these sites, it would work great as it has in the US! But no action whatsoever. A campaign like that is desperately needed in the EU, but I fear that Vista will take the honors there, and a lot of the previous adds may not be as relevant anymore...... I hope I am wrong...

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
k2k koos.....

we had the 'get a mac' adverts on the UK site when they were released on the US site!

The only difference between the UK and US site is that the UK keeps the different features up for less time than the US one

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
sorry, but that is the worst doctored image, i have ever seen. you are an amateur.

Bad photoshopping? It's real, it's the latest innovation having an escalator inside a lift (elevator). They're in all the shopping malls here in the UK.

i can attest to that. I was in London two weeks ago and took the lift escalators in two different locations. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.