Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!

For Black Friday, Textnow and Mail Notifier is on sale.

Mail Notifier is 50% off (from $3.99 to $1.99) and
Textnow is 80% off (from $4.99 to $0.99)

Hurry up before the price returns to normal!

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I was thrilled to have purchased Mail Notifier from the "Black Friday" sale but I wish I hadn't. I read up all about this app before you guys switched to subscription so today I was bummed out to have found out it turned subscription-based a week ago...damn.

Should have updated myself on this thread before hitting purchase.

yayicecream

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
I was thrilled to have purchased Mail Notifier from to the "Black Friday" sale but I wish I hadn't. I read up all about this app before you guys switched to subscription so today I was bummed out to have found out it turned subscription-based a week ago...damn.

Should have updated myself on this thread before hitting purchase.

Thanks for mentioning this. I was just about to purchase the app myself, but stopped when I read your post. I couldn't find the subscription costs in this thread, and the app page in the iTunes store makes no mention of them either (and only a passing mention of the need for a subcription) but I found them on the company's website.

$3.99 for the first year
$3.99 for each additional year
$5.99 for each additional 2 years
$9.99 for lifetime subscription

More than I'm willing to spend. I'll pass.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
I too am disappointed that it is now subscription based. I bought it, but won't buy another subscription when my year is up. I only wish I would have found out that Google now officially supports push Gmail before I bought this app.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/push-gmail-for-iphone-and-windows.html

yea derek is complete bs with this stuff, like for example they now make another app messagenow and leaves his other apps to rot even thought there are already a gazillion messgenow clones and it absolutely helps no one. customers cheated and get screwed over.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Our move to subscription is not a "money grabbing" move, but a move to provide a reliable service to our users for the long term.

Maintaining a server to provide this service is a recurring cost and it isn't free for us. We rather charge a subscription now than having to pull the app from the App Store later when the new sales don't cover the server costs. (for example, what happened to MobileChat?)

$1.99 for a whole year of reliable push email is excellent value (and it says clearly in the App description - we aren't trying to deceive anyone). People spend more money than that on a cup of coffee a day.

Also, we are giving our existing users and apps a lot of attention. To say we are letting them "rot" is absolutely untrue. Mail Notifier 2.0 was released recently with a ton of new features our users suggested and more are coming later. If you seen the latest screenshots of TextNow in our blog, you definitely would not think we are letting our existing users and apps "rot".

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
DeLoMan and yalag,

Do you guys thinks that the infrastructure (servers, space, etc.) and manpower required to make a product like Mail Notifier function properly and improve over time don't cost anything?

As Derek said, $1.99 for a whole year of reliable push email is excellent value. How much do you think it should cost? Free? How could they stay in business at that price??

S-

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
DeLoMan and yalag,

Do you guys thinks that the infrastructure (servers, space, etc.) and manpower required to make a product like Mail Notifier function properly and improve over time don't cost anything?

As Derek said, $1.99 for a whole year of reliable push email is excellent value. How much do you think it should cost? Free? How could they stay in business at that price??

S-
I don't speak for them, but I do think that it is slightly sneaky for them to say a subscription is required yet not really explain how much it will cost ON THE iTUNES PAGE. No one wants to surf outside of iTunes half of the time and no one will just to see the pricing. Put it on the damn product page. Do I think it's money grubbing? No, I think it's necessary but do it with some sort of decency and don't try to hide it or not draw attention to it. Less reviews and more info on the subscription fees.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-27 at 5.17.08 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-27 at 5.17.08 PM.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 82

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't speak for them, but I do think that it is slightly sneaky for them to say a subscription is required yet not really explain how much it will cost ON THE iTUNES PAGE. No one wants to surf outside of iTunes half of the time and no one will just to see the pricing. Put it on the damn product page. Do I think it's money grubbing? No, I think it's necessary but do it with some sort of decency and don't try to hide it or not draw attention to it. Less reviews and more info on the subscription fees.

We would put the prices on the iTunes page if it was allowed, but Apple does not let us. They will reject our app every single time if we reference any prices in the app description. This is rule understandable since the product is available in several different currencies and someone in Europe may not want to see the prices in Dollars.

However, in the description, it clearly says the download includes 1 year of service.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
We would put the prices on the iTunes page if it was allowed, but Apple does not let us. They will reject our app every single time if we reference any prices in the app description. This is rule understandable since the product is available in several different currencies and someone in Europe may not want to see the prices in Dollars.

However, in the description, it clearly says the download includes 1 year of service.

It says it but I think the point of the posters is that it's not as easily spotted as say your reviews and such. I would put asterisks around it or something. People by nature skim. It will cost you to be in this position again where people don't understand. As for not being able to put pricing in there, that is stupid (on Apple's part). Currency differences or not, it is stupid but well understood. I would simply put "due to Apple's restrictions we can only provide pricing on our website". At least let them know. Had I seen this I would not have quickly jumped to the other side.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
It says it but I think the point of the posters is that it's not as easily spotted as say your reviews and such. I would put asterisks around it or something. People by nature skim. It will cost you to be in this position again where people don't understand. As for not being able to put pricing in there, that is stupid (on Apple's part). Currency differences or not, it is stupid but well understood. I would simply put "due to Apple's restrictions we can only provide pricing on our website". At least let them know. Had I seen this I would not have quickly jumped to the other side.
Thanks for the suggestions, Jessica. We will definitely make changes so that it is harder to miss that note and easier to understand what the application comes with.

We are not in the business of deceiving anyone. We just want to provide a reliable service to all of our users for the long term.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh I know, or I assume. Think of it this way. Gmail offered push over a month ago and homeboy up top said just today that had he known today before he purchased your app that Gmail pushed now (free) they would have not bought your app. Sometimes you're not dealing with people who really research and read about the products they're buying. It's sad but clearly true.

Making it easier on them is silly but necessary and will save you these headaches.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I can answer this one....

Yes. I purchased Mail Notifier last night and it's working fine with my comcast.net account.

Ok I bought it and it's not working quite properly. When I click my email on my computer, new emails show up. However, nothing is being pushed.

However, on the flip side if I test this program by sending myself an email, it is pushed properly. What could be causing this odd behavior? Thanks.

jon8

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Ok I bought it and it's not working quite properly. When I click my email on my computer, new emails show up. However, nothing is being pushed.

However, on the flip side if I test this program by sending myself an email, it is pushed properly. What could be causing this odd behavior? Thanks.

Is it possible that when your desktop client checks your pop account, it removes the emails from the server? You can verify if that's the case if you have some sort of web portal you can access your account on the server directly. If that's the problem, the desktop client should probably have an option to keep messages on the server.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I got mail notifier before the last update so i dont have to worry bout the sub fees but i did purchase Textnow i had Textfree and your program is hands down way better than text free. I am wondering are you planning on making a MMS program?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Hi Derek, Mail Notifier has not been working for the past couple of hours for me. I'm not getting any mail pushes.

What can I do to help you resolve this?

Humbug25

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Badge trouble

Downloaded this app last night and am very pleased with the results etc as I just wanted something to notify me of any hotmail messages straight away.

The only problem I'm having is that the badge on the app is not updating after I've read the emails? For instance, I got 2 emails this morning which I was notified about, so I went into the mail app, updated it, read and replied to the emails but the badge is still saying I have 2 unread emails.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Humbug25

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Downloaded this app last night and am very pleased with the results etc as I just wanted something to notify me of any hotmail messages straight away.

The only problem I'm having is that the badge on the app is not updating after I've read the emails? For instance, I got 2 emails this morning which I was notified about, so I went into the mail app, updated it, read and replied to the emails but the badge is still saying I have 2 unread emails.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
me again! My app has actually updated itself now but only after I've deleted or read my emails on the actual hotmail website.is there any way of getting around this?

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
me again! My app has actually updated itself now but only after I've deleted or read my emails on the actual hotmail website.is there any way of getting around this?

Unfortunately, there is no way around that right now as Hotmail doesn't mark their emails read when they are downloaded via POP.

However, if you read the emails from their mobile web client, it does mark it as read and update the badge.

MarloweVH

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Paris, France
Is there currently a problem with the server?

I'm not receiving notifications any longer, and I tried to "verify" my account and I receive the message "Connection Failed: The application failed to verify the account. Please ensure that you have data connectivity."

My iPhone connection to the internet (3G or wifi) is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.