Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
How are people on MacRumors so "meh" about the Watch? I'm betting on *much* more hype and marketing before the actual release/pre-order, so I'll also wager that all the "meh"s we're seeing now will flip soon enough.
People are supposed to be flipping out with excitement until next Valentine's Day or later? Calm down...

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
My unsolicited opinion - the Apple Watch will be a technological and design marvel, that will not sell well at that price point, because (1) it doesn't solve any current needs, and (2) Apple has been unsuccessful in creating a new need.

princered

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
Excited

I for one, am pretty excited about the new :apple:Watch. Mainly for the fitness tracking. I used to have a Fitbit and loved that thing. But I also still wore another watch just for the stop watch feature and having alternate times. Having one watch with everything I need on there will be great. The additional "geeky" stuff like checking notification, maps, siri, and even music will all be just an added bonus. I'm sure for all of you who will wait for the next gen :apple:Watch have your reasons (as I've been waiting to purchase my first iMac bc i'm waiting on retina display). The only killer for me would be if the battery life sucks on this thing. I normally have long work days a watch is no good if you can't wear it at all times (unless sleeping or showering)

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
So far the device appears to be in the "toy" category. Apple needs the early adopters to buy what is essentialy a customer beta program.

The 2nd or 3rd iteration may evolve onto something useful and hopefully "stand alone" without the need for an iPhone.

As a community, we need the pioneers for the benefit of future users.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
How are people on MacRumors so "meh" about the Watch? I'm betting on *much* more hype and marketing before the actual release/pre-order, so I'll also wager that all the "meh"s we're seeing now will flip soon enough.

Meh, because it's an expensive, clunky device that adds a heart rate monitor, but little else that I don't already have access to daily (apple pay, if you don't have a iPhone 6/6+). I'm so accustomed to carrying my iPhone with me at all times, I can't come up with many reasons to I want to manage the charging regiment for yet another device. The haptic feedback for navigation and notifications is pretty cool, but not at $350+.

I'm not ruling out getting one, though. I'm a technology magpie. I'm just not feeling the "killer app" for it yet.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
See the words that don't go together.

Mass Production - Which we know Apple does well.

Gold Expensive Designer Business Leaders and high flyers special items.

I still don't see why those is their own private jets want to show off a $350 watch and then say, yeah I know it's exactly the same as the one you have, but my one has a thin gold case round the outside.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So far the device appears to be in the "toy" category. Apple needs the early adopters to buy what is essentialy a customer beta program.

The 2nd or 3rd iteration may evolve onto something useful and hopefully "stand alone" without the need for an iPhone.

As a community, we need the pioneers for the benefit of future users.

Maybe on future editions we'll be able to send our blood pressure and blood O2 content in addition to the heartbeat. :D

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

I still don't see why those is their own private jets want to show off a $350 watch and then say, yeah I know it's exactly the same as the one you have, but my one has a thin gold case round the outside.

because gold it's what makes it more valuable. A ring can be made of plastic, or gold. Try to give your wife a plastic ring for Christmas... :eek:;)

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I love all the 'meh' comments. This thing is going to sell out so fast. Most of you will end up buying one. I'm on the fence but leaning toward getting one. We'll see.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

Designer - Yes

Watchmaker - No

nep3d

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014

I am being cautious about this one right now, but looking at that interface, I am nowhere near sold on it right now. The amount of info packed on that screen is nowhere near the clean interface I expect. Having sensors to track my physical activity is very nice and could be a big thing as a runner, though I already have a nike+ gps watch, as I imagine many other active people do (or equivalent of course). Healthkit makes the jump seem like it could be worthwhile as my cals are already being tracked there, but, and it's a big but, they have to clean up that interface big time. Multiple screens to get at finer grains of info like we see on other ios devices would go a long way here.

Have to see on the final of course, right now...I am concerned.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I a meh sayer and wont be buying it. I see nothing special about it. Im not a fitness nut. If i want to receive messages or calls ill look at my phone. I will eventually have to take it out anyway. Im not going to fudge with a 1 inch screen to write a text. seriously im not that lazy that I cant take my phone out of my pocket and look at it.

Im glad people are excited for it. good for apple. I will not "flip" and buy one of these. its useless to me.

ccavaliere

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Start Hiring

(which involve increasing its worker head count to 4 million)

Is that all? I wonder how big that factory building is to fit 4 million people. Break room must be one of a kind

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
So wait....4 million people are hired to produce Apple devices!!?

I wonder if that figure is a typo. The largest employer in the world is the U.S. Department of Defense -- at 3 million and change. The logistics of managing 4 million employees would be quite the undertaking.

And with 23 million + people living in Taiwan, that figure would mean 17 percent of the country works for Quanta.

:rolleyes:

Olivier Giround

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014

Yes. Because *much* more hype and marketing will convince everyone that this product is necessary.

:rolleyes:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So, the person spending $2000 on a Gold Apple Watch to show off at a party is NOT the same market as a person spending $2000 on a Swiss Watch to show off at a party? Yeah, right.

No, one is at most designer market, the other is watchmaker market.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Ehh... As it stands right now, the Apple Watch is really not that appealing to me. I hope that from here to when it is released there's something else to it that makes me want to have it.

I'm so glad to know this. thank you.

----------

Meh... all that talk about Switzerland being 'in deep ****', they got nothing to worry about...

what talk? you're referring to unsourced rumors, not talk or direct quotes. rumors.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
So, the person spending $2000 on a Gold Apple Watch to show off at a party is NOT the same market as a person spending $2000 on a Swiss Watch to show off at a party? Yeah, right.

A person who spent only $2000 on a Swiss watch wouldn't be showing it off at a party, they'd be hiding their head in shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.