Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A new May desktop for my MBP

Attachments

• may_02.gif
    may_02.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 165

Corran Horn

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
May Desktop

Welp, Friday I drove up to Cinci and came home a very happy man. Finally got my first mac, and here's the first desktop on it!

attachment.php

eldino

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Italy
This morning (8th may 2007) I casually plugged all my external hard drives to my iBook for a while, and I decided to do a little screenshot..

From the top to the bottom:
1) "iPooh HD": the internal hard drive (40GB) of my iBook;
2) "Recipiente": this is a 5MB read/write .dmg image where I save some temp stuff (mostly some .webloc to visit when I connect to the web..); it mounts automagically at startup thanks to a little applescript and keep my desktop clean;
3) LaCie Porsche Design 40GB USB 2.0 (inside: Western Digital 2.5' HD 4200 RPM);
4) MacPower Pleiades FW400 + USB 2.0 (inside Seagate HD 500GB);
5) CoolerMaster X-Craft Black USB 2.0 (inside Hitachi HD 250 GB).

All the icons are made by me except the iPooh HD one, that comes from the web..
Enjoy :)

ps. please notice the great fantasy I have into naming my hds eh eh eh :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
clevin,

I'm super confused. So you're running Feisty Fawn as your OS in that screengrab? The Firefox-win and FSviewer icons are really screwing me up. :) The "Dock" originally had me scratching my head, but I finally figured that one out.

BlackDan

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2004
Belgium
a bit OT

@clevin: I'm curious: why did you choose to run Linux on your mac? Not that I mind, I run it myself in parallels (testing only), but I'm just wondering why you would do away with OSX?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
clevin,

I'm super confused. So you're running Feisty Fawn as your OS in that screengrab? The Firefox-win and FSviewer icons are really screwing me up. :) The "Dock" originally had me scratching my head, but I finally figured that one out.

yes, its Feisty Fawn :) , i have both firefox-linux and firefox-windows (installed and runs through wine). Just because I like the theme of netscape 9, which is only available for windows and mac versions of firefox, no linux version :(

FSviewer is a file manager from windowmaker (a linux desktop environment, which looks like OpenStep alot), since its very similar as the finder in OSX, so I give it that icon.

sorry not intended to confuse ppl, its just too few clue on a screenshot, im sure you won't have any problem ID it if I have any window open on the desktop.:D
why did you choose to run Linux on your mac? Not that I mind, I run it myself in parallels (testing only), but I'm just wondering why you would do away with OSX?

I did not run linux on my MB, which does not have enough space for another OS, this is my Acer laptop, My MB is waiting for repair due to two hardware problems.

I do, however, use linux more frequently in recent days, I like to try new things, and tried linux many times before, mostly ended up giving them up, but this time, Ubuntu 7.04 is unbelievably solid, at least so far, and I really enjoy the flexibility of linux and its 3D UI. Right now, My linux machine (which also has vista on it, lol) meets all my need, (ripping DVD is especially easy :D )

Im not going away from my MB (and mini), I guess I will just be triple OS user until someday in the future I really feel one of them is much better than other two. right now, OSX and Linux are very close to each other in my situation.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Curious....did you have to do some hacking to get Ubuntu to recognise Airport and Battery and overall how does it run?. Also are you running this on Parallels or dual booting via Bootcamp???

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Curious....did you have to do some hacking to get Ubuntu to recognise Airport and Battery and overall how does it run?. Also are you running this on Parallels or dual booting via Bootcamp???

read the detail above, I did not run ubuntu on my MB. AFAIK, Ubuntu will support wireless of rev A MB out of box, but will have trouble with C2D MB's wireless card, u will need to manually install driver for it (possibly through ndiswrapper)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I decided to make a really abstract background this month, so after about half an hour in photoshop here's what I came up with. I think it's pretty cool.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
read the detail above, I did not run ubuntu on my MB. AFAIK, Ubuntu will support wireless of rev A MB out of box, but will have trouble with C2D MB's wireless card, u will need to manually install driver for it (possibly through ndiswrapper)

Thanx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.