Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Hello, I'm going to buy Mac laptop but can't decide which one is better. I'm thinking about 13 inch 2013 MBA i5/8gb ram/256gb ssd or MBP Retina i5/8gb ram/128gb ssd. Which one you would advice?
I'm student, aren't playing any games, mostly email, surf the net, office. Also will need windows 7 on mac.
Also considering of buying samsung m3 usb3 hdd 1TB with any mac.
It is hard to decide because MBA is fresh with new processor, better battery life and 100 euro cheaper but MBP Retina has gorgeus display and maybe more performance?
And any news about upcoming 2013 MBP Retina because if it is coming soon i would lose some money buying 2012 MBP.
Sorry if i have posted to wrong forum.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The MBA, less ports and non retina screen but has an all day battery and good performance.

The rMBP has more ports and a better screen.

I like the MBA at this point but who knows when the haswell MBPs come out if that will change my mind.

I'd say 6 of one half a dozen of another.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
They are definitely being refreshed soon. Unless you're in graphics designing, the 2013 air is the best laptop ever built, in my opinion.

It can even hold it's own with video editing/music editing - for an entry level laptop by Apple, that's an astonishing feat. Intel created a wonder with Haswell.

If you can wait, then wait before deciding. If you can't wait, it comes down to personal preference. I always advise people to get the latest tech available. But while I have never owned a Retina Macbook, I've had the Retina iPad for a year now and you CANT compare the viewing pleasure. Retina display is beautiful.

Everytime I use my iPad briefly, and switch back to my Air - I notice the difference immediately. and it's significant. But understandably, that screen would have cost the Air about 2-3 hours of battery life perhaps, and wouldn't have allowed Apple to sell it at this ridiculous price of $999 for base 11"

Who would have EVER thought that an Apple laptop would drop below 1000bucks. 5 years ago, when the Air was first released, it cost 1000bucks just to upgrade from HDD to 64GB SSD. Insane.

I think Apple made the right decision. They have made the Air more affordable than ever, and with the students discounts - young people get the 13"base for less than a thousand bucks as well.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Go Air all the way. Do you really need a retina screen for email/web/schoolwork?

Plus, since you'll be getting the larger SSD, you'll have no storage limit concerns when you install widows 7.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Thank you very much guys for advices :) Yeh i'm going for MBA, fresh hardware is fresh. Also at the moment i have only iPad mini and iPhone 5 and can't wait for new rMBP because studying period is coming soon :)
And yes, MBA became more affordable with superb hardware :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.