Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssb333

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Hi,

I tried using the guide (the sticky at the top) to re-install OSX on my MBA 64Gb to save space, but I don't have the option to take off a lot of the stuff I don't need.

For example, I don't see an option to not install Garageband, or the Printer Divers. Anyone else have this problem with the new MBAs? I get the option to not install Additional languages, but that only saves me 1.22GB.

Can someone tell me how I can uncheck some of the of the other stuff that the guide shows here:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Complete_Steps_to_Perform_a_Clean_OS_X_Reinstall_on_Your_MacBook_Air

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Cos the new install stick has different options

if you compare it with a SL retail disc theres less you can uncheck BUT the size of the mandatory files you have to install remains the same, mainly because theres no longer a gig plus of printer related stuff by the looks of it

likewise you dont need to unselect iLife components because none are installed during the OS installation

I went with clean custom install no additional languages no additional fonts no X11 and no roseta.

Afterwards once booted into OSX I added iMovie and iWeb from the iLife suite, via the seperate installer on the stick, then deleted the 4 gig hibernation file

As shipped I had around 47 gig free of 60.067 gig, after above I had 55 Gig free

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I always format/reinstall the OS as soon as I get a new computer. For one thing, I want to have say in what components to install. I mean, I don't own any epson or HP printers so why install the drivers.

It makes even more sense for the MBA since space is limited.

arwyn80

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
I did the same as snorkelman. I did a clean install, and when it was finished I noticed none of the iLife programs were installed. I thought I had done something wrong, and when I put the USB stick back into the Air I saw iLife listed separately, and was able to pick and choose what I wanted installed.

ingramLee

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
New York, NY
Cos the new install stick has different options

if you compare it with a SL retail disc theres less you can uncheck BUT the size of the mandatory files you have to install remains the same, mainly because theres no longer a gig plus of printer related stuff by the looks of it

likewise you dont need to unselect iLife components because none are installed during the OS installation

I went with clean custom install no additional languages no additional fonts no X11 and no roseta.

Afterwards once booted into OSX I added iMovie and iWeb from the iLife suite, via the seperate installer on the stick, then deleted the 4 gig hibernation file

As shipped I had around 47 gig free of 60.067 gig, after above I had 55 Gig free

55GB? Nice. Been trying to get a solid answer for a while on how much space you get without those extra languages and unnecessary iLife apps. Cant wait to get my 11" Friday and do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.