Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How missed is Magsafe

• Total voters

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
You don't need dongles for USB as they make cheap USB-C/(USB; A,B, MINI, MICRO) cables. You do need a dongle for Thunderbolt presently.

No SD card reader. This is a legitimate complaint, but I guess they decided not enough of a complaint.

It's sort of funny though, as I've been using the MP 12 for a while, so the anger has dissipated with these new MBPs. Just more of the same; you get used to it ;)

Reactions: David58117

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Getting one soon. One new cable and one dongle for $15 total.

I'm sorry, but my definition of "hell" is a bit more scary than that.

When it comes to useability the smallest things can be a real annoying pain in the **** for users...

I consider the daily reminders to update my iPad to iOS 10 ....each day...and having to say no twice ....a hell of a user experience :)

Each to their own I guess. My unit arrives this week , will see.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Your cousin is a very trusting person. I would never let one my family members open something that I ordered and play around with it while I wasn't home, especially something as expensive as this
I am the same way. I don't want anyone touching my computer that isn't me. This is especially after knowing your are careless and almost broke it.

MagSafe had as many problems as it did solutions.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Wow so many posts lately from "newly signed up members" that just have to open someone else's package and then run right to the forum and post a write up about someone else's laptop. Sorry if I don't believe any of this.

Reactions: bcaslis and ixxx69

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Wow so many posts lately from "newly signed up members" that just have to open someone else's package and then run right to the forum and post a write up about someone else's laptop. Sorry if I don't believe any of this.
The only one that fits the scenario (that I have seen) is the OP. While I wouldn't want a family member or friend opening my new Mac before me, that doesn't mean that that event didn't happen to the OP or anyone else. And there is nothing wrong with new people coming to the forum and making threads like this.

Speaking of logical... coming to the thread to point out what you believe is illogical while engaging in logical fallacy yourself is well, rather illogical.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013

You may have something there.

Last edited:

OnTheFly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
Wow, So much discussion. Yay! :)

Yep, I'm a new poster here. This redesign was enough for me to want to respond to some of the forums. And, well, start a thread of my own.

It's good to see some new thoughts about the new MBP. My first hands on was not as impressive as I wanted it to be. I'm sure there will be workarounds that can accomplish what I need. I just think it's annoying to spend now more money on a machine and not have it 'just work'.

In rewatching the MPB unveiling Mr. Jobs kept using the phrase 'out of the box.' This is what I remember about all my macs; they just start working right out of the box. Unfortunately, that's less the case with this model.

Magsafe was the biggest loss for me. And, again, free hugs available if they bring it back.

Just saw some posts where 'I'd never let any friend/family member open my new MBP...' Guys, these are inanimate objects that are very easy to acquire (okay easy as in ordering, thanks to the price upgrade, well perhaps easy isn't quite the right word). It' snot like I wanted to get a toddler hooked on Starbucks and then take them rock climbing. It's a computer not a kidney :) #perspective

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Wow, So much discussion. Yay! :)

Yep, I'm a new poster here. This redesign was enough for me to want to respond to some of the forums. And, well, start a thread of my own.

It's good to see some new thoughts about the new MBP. My first hands on was not as impressive as I wanted it to be. I'm sure there will be workarounds that can accomplish what I need. I just think it's annoying to spend now more money on a machine and not have it 'just work'.

In rewatching the MPB unveiling Mr. Jobs kept using the phrase 'out of the box.' This is what I remember about all my macs; they just start working right out of the box. Unfortunately, that's less the case with this model.

Magsafe was the biggest loss for me. And, again, free hugs available if they bring it back.

Just saw some posts where 'I'd never let any friend/family member open my new MBP...' Guys, these are inanimate objects that are very easy to acquire (okay easy as in ordering, thanks to the price upgrade, well perhaps easy isn't quite the right word). It' snot like I wanted to get a toddler hooked on Starbucks and then take them rock climbing. It's a computer not a kidney :) #perspective

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

Magsafe.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Ditching MagSafe is one of the worst decisions Apple has ever made. But otherwise fitting for the host of errors the 2016 MBP is.

Upsides? One can charge to any port (well, except the headphone jack); that might prove some small convenience at times. One can dispense with the power brick cord? In most instances, no; still required. And … what?

The most obvious downside is what the MagSafe was ostensibly designed to prevent: customers destroying their laptops by inadvertently tripping over the cords. Count on that as a regular feature going forward (and not likely covered by warranty).

Then there is the convenience of it, the fit, finish and ease. It is a fabulous connection. In comparison USB-C is a pain in the ass; if snug enough once fitted, it has to be pushed firmly in, and to an extent yanked out. Not satisfying at all, particularly in comparison the ease with which the MagSafe can be deftly clipped on. All the more as this is the one cable no one can escape using routinely.

There are likely going to be many MBP customers coming to this realization in time, of what they've lost. Can they survive it? Presumably so. Yet the most common refrain from 2016 MBP apologists concerning the lack of MagSafe, or the keyboard, or a host of other features is they 'can live with it,' or 'learn to like it.' Impressive that. Hardly 'It Just Works,' or love at first blush.

Granted USB-C is a common standard. But if Apple was so intent on using one common port, why didn't they design one that most everyone would find pleasure in using? Or at minimum retain the one port which is near universally praised and useful?

No, there is no point making excuses for such a key error. Simply put: bad design.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
On the whole magsafe discussion...

Have you thought it's entirely possible that we will get wireless charging at some point, possibly ready for the next design refresh, or can be integrated into the current design if ready sooner. In which case, it makes sense to ditch magsafe now and add wireless at some point. Rather than retool the cases mid cycle.

Magsafe is a nice feature but it's being blown out of proportion. It makes no sense to have 2 ports on a computer that do the same thing. It also isn't any conspiracy to break more computers and force people to buy another.

You shouldn't be routing your charging cable anywhere where it could be yanked out either way. And for most people the convenience is literally being able to easily snap it in place. Which really isn't that much of a huge feature to loose is it?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
On the whole magsafe discussion...

Magsafe is a nice feature but it's being blown out of proportion. It makes no sense to have 2 ports on a computer that do the same thing. It also isn't any conspiracy to break more computers and force people to buy another.

You shouldn't be routing your charging cable anywhere where it could be yanked out either way. And for most people the convenience is literally being able to easily snap it in place. Which really isn't that much of a huge feature to loose is it?

So putting 4 ports on the 15" that are all the same type ports is any better? Apple did not transition this smoothly for the public. People are still using card readers and more importantly standard USB ports. To issue a laptop that you can't even connect your brand new iPhone to is a fail right there.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
So putting 4 ports on the 15" that are all the same type ports is any better? Apple did not transition this smoothly for the public. People are still using card readers and more importantly standard USB ports. To issue a laptop that you can't even connect your brand new iPhone to is a fail right there.

Would you rather a USB port, a USB 3 port, and a USB C port instead?

Also can't?
USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

http://store.apple.com/xc/product/MK0X2ZM/A

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
The 3 main issues I see coming up repeatedly in this thread are:

1) Dongles - I currently use a 2013 Macbook Air. I currently have 3 dongles for it. For EVERY mac (laptop) I have owned, I have ALWAYS had to carry around at least a few dongles for presentations. Look, dongles are annoying, they're an additional part you can lose/forget that can make your life stressful, I get that, but the new MBPs haven't changed that for me.

2) Magsafe - I'm going to preface this by saying that my iBook G3's (white, first ones post-clamshell) optical drive was damaged because I didn't have magsafe (for those that don't remember, this computer came out in 2001). Boy was I mad, and when magsafe came out, I thought I would never have to worry about this again...until I realized that nothing has happened in the 15 years since. I made minor changes to the way I use my laptop, and it's virtually impossible (outside of natural disasters) for something like that to happen again to me. For those who have damaged their laptop because it didn't have magsafe, I can relate, it sucks, but at least from a damage prevention pov, you can avoid that by making minor changes to how you use your laptop while it's plugged in.

3) SD Cards - I have never used SD cards and never plan on using them. I'm sure this sucks for you guys, but you know what, I used both Firewire and Ethernet (I still use Ethernet, 1 of my dongles), and Apple didn't seem to care when they took those away, so I've learned to live without it.

MarcBou

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
for me the answer for all the missing ports is https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock
i even use it for my 12" Macbook...no more dongles/cables etc
Yeah it's nice, but expensive as hell.
[doublepost=1479680610][/doublepost]I really don't get this magsafe madness... Macbooks are the only laptops with this feature, everyone in the world with a windows laptop has no magsafe and they are not throwing their laptops down.

I've never had a Mac, this is gonna be my first one, and I never had any problem with the power cable.

Are you that clumsy???

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
This is the major sticking point I'm having, but it seems there are products out and possibly rolling out to give us relief, i.e., magsafe like USB-C connectors.

I've been a person who has derided apple because of the lack of SD card slots, but seriously how much of an issue is it?

I need a cable to connect my iPhone to the my MBP, now I need a dongle and cable, so logically I have one long cable that is interconnected in the middle. Same result, I have to bring something to connect my phone. The SD card slot is a major omission, but what about professional photographers who use MBPs (and a lot do), Most dslrs use CF cards not SD cards, so they've long needed to use a card reader. Plus many modern dslrs have wifi enabled.

The lack of SD slot is a major issue for me, but looking at it big picture, is it really a major show stopper?

Last I checked a lot of the DSLRs had converted to SD.

My observation is... it's not a "show stopper", per se. But then, no one issue usually is. It's the combination of all the little issues. I'm returning my 2016 rMBP (or possibly sending it to someone whose order is still >2 weeks out, and who doesn't mind taking it to a nearby apple store for a glitchy display), and I got a high-end Dell instead. And working with them is night and day. Keyboard isn't a show-stopper all on its own, but I absolutely like the other one better. Trackpad, again, not a complete showstopper, but I like the one with actual physical buttons better. Display, not a complete showstopper, but wow do I not miss the glare. And so on. It's just been so nice being able to plug things in without having to fuss over whether I still have a port left, or have enough dongles. Using an external optical drive, external hard drive, and thumb drive all at once? Sure, why not! And I can still put in an SD card because that's a separate slot. And so on.

That's ultimately why I'm ditching it. Any one of the many nuisances, I could probably have lived with. I've put up with the glossy mirror screen on my existing rMBP for over a year, and it hasn't killed me, but it's been a recurring source of annoyance. But add the awful keyboard, the overlarge trackpad, the lack of ports and need for dongles, and it adds up.
[doublepost=1479692935][/doublepost]
Yeah it's nice, but expensive as hell.
[doublepost=1479680610][/doublepost]I really don't get this magsafe madness... Macbooks are the only laptops with this feature, everyone in the world with a windows laptop has no magsafe and they are not throwing their laptops down.[/

I've never had a Mac, this is gonna be my first one, and I never had any problem with the power cable.

Are you that clumsy???

I've had to resolder power connectors on PC laptops three times this year for various friends. Maybe they're clumsy. Maybe they have a clumsy dog. Whatever. It happens a fair bit. Not usually to me, because I'm pretty careful, but I've definitely knocked things over by hitting power cables, and I've definitely knocked magsafe cables off macs a few times.

It was, indeed, a thing only Macs had, and it was a great differentiating feature.

Murgatroyd314

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2012
The linked one supports 87w of power. I think the Griffon one (Haven't read your earlier post, just presuming) only does 60w?
The Griffon cord is officially rated for 60w. They're going to test whether it's adequate for the 15" MBP as soon as they get one to test it with, which should be sometime this week.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
You can, but at least for me its S L O W

I'd much rather transfer my images by way of a SD card reader then wait for the images to be moved from the camera directly. Perhaps that has changed with newer cameras but my experience has not been great.
This also eats the battery from the camera. I do still have my cable somewhere but hardly ever connect my Nikon to my Macbook. Always read the SD card directly.
[doublepost=1479700614][/doublepost]
Or if you can wait (and 15" owners will have to) then there is this over on KickStarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/436147229/snapnator-your-macbook-snap-feature-is-back

Already backed the project myself :)
Somewhat sad through that there is a need for a third party solution.
I bought one of these magsafe type connectors for my iPhone as I liked the idea, but the quality was not good and more often than not, it didn't charge. I hope this is better.

Personally I am with the OP, I stick with my (2014) 15" pro that has all 'built in'. I looked at the new ones at the Apple Store this weekend and while they are beautiful machines, especially on the 15" I didn't see the big difference in size (or thickness) justifying all the compromises. And I once again tried to get used to the keyboard. It is definitely better than on the 12" but it still doesn't feel comfortable. And god, it makes a noise. Even in the noisy Applestore (Saturday afternoon in China!) it was clearly audible. Try to use this in an open-space office and your co-workers will kill you.
Regarding the touchbar: cool to play with, but ergonomically a stupidity for touch-typists. I don't look down on my keyboard because I know where the keys are, why would I start doing this now to look at the touchbar when it does nothing that couldn't be done previously on the screen with the touchpad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.