Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How missed is Magsafe

• Total voters

OnTheFly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
I just 'borrowed' (okay so my cousin was out of town when his MBP came, and I brow-beat him into letting me use it until he came back).

This thing is sexy thin and the prettiest girl at the ball. But, she's not gonna be the one you leave with.

They nailed the aesthetics for sure. But, the function leaves a lot to be desired. Before I jump into the list of gripes I want to say I have one of these on order and won't be unboxing it until I can shop around. I've been a diehard mac guy since my first powerbook G3. But, this could be where I switch camps for my workhorse laptop. It very much disappoints me to say or even think that.

While dongle hell is real. The most missed thing is magsafe. I can say, my cousin (who hopefully won't read this) has a very durable laptop that, can fall with style. I was lucky that it fell onto a sofa and the port wasn't damaged, but it's only a matter of time before that changes.

Revisiting dongle hell; well, my cousin now has 3 dongles (USB A (2x) and and SD card reader. I can say that I talked myself into it not being a big deal. But, it makes a difference.

My 2015 MBP was just ready to go. I could be approached by a friend with a thumb drive (and a beer), to get going on their presentation. I'd send them out to get some pictures and they'd come back with and SD card full of 'content'. Now, if I don't have two dongles, I just get to stare at them with those hopeless eyes and say 'I can't help you until my dongles come in'. [Wait, this may get me out of some work, nevermind. jkjk] Removing the ability to use something ubiquitous as USB type A in the name of progress and being forward thinking is not as advantageous for this user. I'd give you a 16th of an inch for a few more ports. And, I'd give every engineer a hug if they could bring magsafe back. Seriously, free hugs.

The shift for a portable desktop, requiring a docking environment is annoying. I liked taking a functional office with me on the go. I now see this as a capable machine going from well equipped desk to well equipped desk. But, it is not the powerhouse mobile workstation its lineage was.

I just watched the presentation of the introduction of the MBP. The innovation of the intel chip to the first ever iSight camera, to magsafe was exciting to the teams involved. I hope Apple doesn't get too far into the apple exclusive ecosystem again. We really need these machines to work and play well with others (devices, platforms, and systems).

OHHHHH, I totally forgot about the touchbar. I really really wanted this hint at innovation to be a game changer. And, well, there are areas in which it is novel. Emojis are wonderful and way easy to find. But, some of the regular keyboard shortcuts are faster. Also, the predictive text is a bit slow and I never used it. Some of the contextual changes the bar has can be useful, but, I found that it was difficult for me to look from the monitor down to the touchbar and then back up to the monitor. I don't really know that it will be a timesaver but I can see where it may be helpful if I take time to learn it. Said differently, it's not as intuitive or natural as I would have hoped. But, It could be useful.

Just so this isn't a totally negative post; the speakers on this make me leave the mini soundlink at home more often. Further, the trackpad, while huge is really nice. Next would be to add the apple pencil so it can really shine. And, one more time, this thing is seeeeeexy thin and beautiful.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The most missed thing is magsafe.
This is the major sticking point I'm having, but it seems there are products out and possibly rolling out to give us relief, i.e., magsafe like USB-C connectors.

Revisiting dongle hell; well, my cousin now has 3 dongles (USB A (2x) and and SD card reader. I can say that I talked myself into it not being a big deal. But, it makes a difference.
I've been a person who has derided apple because of the lack of SD card slots, but seriously how much of an issue is it?

I need a cable to connect my iPhone to the my MBP, now I need a dongle and cable, so logically I have one long cable that is interconnected in the middle. Same result, I have to bring something to connect my phone. The SD card slot is a major omission, but what about professional photographers who use MBPs (and a lot do), Most dslrs use CF cards not SD cards, so they've long needed to use a card reader. Plus many modern dslrs have wifi enabled.

The lack of SD slot is a major issue for me, but looking at it big picture, is it really a major show stopper?

To summarize, when I travel, I need to bring a fistful of cables and components with me and my laptop, that will not change if I were to buy a new MBP, so I don't think its "hell" its just needing to add one or two more dongles.

The magsafe omission is a huge issue for me, but it looks like third party options are working around that.

The SD card slot can easily be rectified by getting a card reader

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The SD card slot can easily be rectified by getting a card reader

Also - and I'm really asking - isn't it just as easy to plug in your camera with an USB-C cable directly? I don't take many pictures with my Nikon these days, but I remember I used both the SD card reader and the USB cable. Is it slower to do it via cable? I honestly don't know. Didn't notice any difference. But even if it was, the new USB speeds should cover that difference. Just plug the camera directly, right? You even reduce the risk of damaging the card and your photos.

Tell me if I'm wrong :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also - and I'm really asking - isn't it just as easy to plug in your camera with an USB-C cable directly?
You can, but at least for me its S L O W

I'd much rather transfer my images by way of a SD card reader then wait for the images to be moved from the camera directly. Perhaps that has changed with newer cameras but my experience has not been great.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I like to think of the "dongle" more as an "extension cable."

Also they provide some level of mag-safe like safety. I mean, if someone trips over the cable, I don't want my laptop flying away.

Instead, it will safely detach at the "extension cable" and all will be well.

I don't know how I ever got along *not* using extension cables, really.

Reactions: Bryan Bowler

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like to think of the "dongle" more as an "extension cable."
Agreed and logically speaking its something that we'll always have with us, i.e., keep it packed in our laptop bag, so I think the hassle factor is being over stated, and when I say that, I'm looking in the mirror. I for one have been vocal about it, but in reality is it really a major problem?

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
It's interesting what people don't like about this laptop. I got a USB-C hub and really couldn't care about the new port situation (though I do wish the base model had a port on the right side as well). My main gripe is with the keyboard sound and feel. I'm just not feeling the love. Though others love it. I've found the touchbar to be somewhat useful but nothing earth shattering - in some cases annoying. I love touchID, the screen, the form factor. That's my experience with a non TB for over 2 weeks and a TB version for most of a week.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
You can, but at least for me its S L O W

I'd much rather transfer my images by way of a SD card reader then wait for the images to be moved from the camera directly. Perhaps that has changed with newer cameras but my experience has not been great.

If anything I hope this makes camera manufacturers speed up/simplify the wireless transfer process.

It's not that difficult to pop in an sd card into a dongle though. Rather have smaller footprint than a permanent reader I use once a day for 5 minutes.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Looks like that is more of a docking station (has DC input) which is fine when working from home but doesn't give a solution for on-the-go

XIII
on a go what does it mean? using the laptop on the beach ? in the park? on the car?

xoration

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
I need a cable to connect my iPhone to the my MBP, now I need a dongle and cable, so logically I have one long cable that is interconnected in the middle. Same result, I have to bring something to connect my phone. The SD card slot is a major omission, but what about professional photographers who use MBPs (and a lot do), Most dslrs use CF cards not SD cards, so they've long needed to use a card reader. Plus many modern dslrs have wifi enabled.

I personally don't think it is a major issue tbh. If you want to have your pictures right away on the macbook you have to shoot tethered anyway. And this hasn't changed. I personally have noticed if I want to have a picture right away on my phone/macbook whereever I am just using wifi in the camera as it is way more easier and faster (even tho in general it is slower, but you have to get the sd card out put it in copy the picture unmounting putting back in etc.). If you have a good shot and transfer it right away it is way faster and easier.

And if you need to transfer a bulk of images and want to use the sd card you need a little adapter. I PERSONALLY don't mind that tbh. Everything is moving forward maybe in the next generation of DSLRs wifi in those things are so great already we never have to take out the card ever again unless it is defect. And as a photographer you have to have a lot of different stuff with you already. Cleaning, different lenses, ND filters, polarizing filter, backup battery, backup sd cards and so on and so forth. Adding a little sd card adapter isn't that bad at least that is my oppinion.

I am actually a huge fan of the 4 usbc ports I don't know how ppl are upset about that. But I guess people always need to bitch about something. :)

Reactions: JohnnyGo

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
Ok in summary...

Exactly this, the dongle situation has been blown well out of proportion and is far from what I would consider "hell".

XIII

We discuss "Dongle Hell"

for me the answer for all the missing ports is https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock
i even use it for my 12" Macbook...no more dongles/cables etc

Fokmik suggest a "solution" that requires "no more dongles/cables etc"

Looks like that is more of a docking station (has DC input) which is fine when working from home but doesn't give a solution for on-the-go

XIII

I highlight that the offered solution that requires "no more dongles/cables etc" in fact doesn't solve that problem as it is DC powered so required a MAIN OUTLET to power it.

Can I interest you in a dongle?

David58117 chirps in with some half arsed smart remark... but If I'm buying the "solution" then I shouldn'#t really be having to buy a SECOND dongle should I.... which means its not a solution to needing "no more dongles/cables etc"

on a go what does it mean? using the laptop on the beach ? in the park? on the car?

No, I mean in the airport/on a plane, on the train, on location at a shoot... but sure if your work requires you to take your leptop to the beach then your solution doesn't work does it? the list of on-the-go locations is endless, not everyone buys a MacBook Pro to then just dock it on their desk... if that was the case maybe a DESKTOP computer would be a better solution? The dock (because thats what it is) that you've linked doesn't give solution to needing "no more dongles/cables etc"

XIII

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Ok in summary...

No, I mean in the airport/on a plane, on the train, on location at a shoot... but sure if your work requires you to take your leptop to the beach then your solution doesn't work does it? the list of on-the-go locations is endless, not everyone buys a MacBook Pro to then just dock it on their desk... if that was the case maybe a DESKTOP computer would be a better solution? The dock (because thats what it is) that you've linked doesn't give solution to needing "no more dongles/cables etc"

XIII
i mean i dont work on an airport/plane,train car..the most work i do when i have a place to rest...even on a plane with more hours flight, i can have that dock,its more easy to use than to have 3-4 dongles all over the place,and i bet you can have an even smaller and lighter dock than this

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
i mean i dont work on an airport/plane,train car..the most work i do when i have a place to rest...even on a plane with more hours flight, i can have that dock,its more easy to use than to have 3-4 dongles all over the place,and i bet you can have an even smaller and lighter dock than this

Ok, I'm not going to argue with you over this, clearly I'm incorrect :rolleyes:, but the item you have listed:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock?utm_source=affiliate&utm_campaign=cj

Requires a MAINS PLUG to be used:

Mains_Power_20_11_2016.png

XIII

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.