Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you shave everything below the neck?

• Yes

Votes: 31 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 191 68.2%
  • Legs only

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Why should I shave?

Votes: 57 20.4%

• Total voters

Z6128

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
i can grow a beard in a few days. my chest and back are covered, shoulders, pits, legs, arms all hairy and have been since i was 17 or so.

i never understood shaving to please anyone else. if you want to do it for you, by all means go for it. i, for one, am happy the way i am and don't feel the need to have to shave because hair is "gross"

Reactions: PC_tech

wpbpole

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2020
I do and I shave everything below the neck (that means legs, arms, chest, private area, etc). It very hygienic to do so and I do not care if somebody is going to say something bad about it or not. I exercise a lot too (running and walking a lot) so shaving helps there too. I also feel more comfortable when fully shaved "below the neck".

Is any one doing this too or am I the only one?
I do. I'VE Actually gotten waxed from the neck down and still have my back waxed from time to time. I to feel much more comfortable hairless. hairless rocks!
[automerge]1584765749[/automerge]
Bonus, if you keep your pits shaved bacteria doesn't grow. i haven't need antiperspirant of deodorant for years

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This thread is hilarious.

I hadn't noticed it on any of its earlier incarnations, but what better reading could there be on a Saturday night when normal social interactions are suspended for now?

And, on the topic of suspensions, I am also stuck by the number of posters from the original thread who are no longer with us.

Reactions: millerj123

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I do. I'VE Actually gotten waxed from the neck down and still have my back waxed from time to time. I to feel much more comfortable hairless. hairless rocks!
[automerge]1584765749[/automerge]
Bonus, if you keep your pits shaved bacteria doesn't grow. i haven't need antiperspirant of deodorant for years

Link please. As I understand it bacteria feeds on sweat, not hair.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Link please. As I understand it bacteria feeds on sweat, not hair.

There's no link, because that's a total fallacy, the apocrine glands in armpits produce more protein, and that's all trapped in a hot, wet, dark area, i.e., more bateria, more smell.

The only slight correlation I've seen between shaved pits and less smell is [potentially] easier cleaning and/or better surface contact with products. The hair, or lack thereof, doesn't mean much, it's really a genetic thing (which is why some smooth pit folks have stronger BO, and some folks who are pretty hairy can have almost none).

Reactions: mrsmith1 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's no link, because that's a total fallacy, the apocrine glands in armpits produce more protein, and that's all trapped in a hot, wet, dark area, i.e., more bateria, more smell.

The only slight correlation I've seen between shaved pits and less smell is [potentially] easier cleaning and/or better surface contact with products. The hair, or lack thereof, doesn't mean much, it's really a genetic thing (which is why some smooth pit folks have stronger BO, and some folks who are pretty hairy can have almost none).
I read an interesting article about different types of sweat glands, armpits vs say the arm where the former produces much more stink than other areas of the body for the reasons you mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.