Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've asked a couple of times in this thread, no one has responded.

arn

That's not true. You should start a new thread and ask for suggestions, if that's really what you're after. Close this thread, because after 4 years, it's obvious there's interest.

The iOS revolution is passing us by! :rolleyes: :p

That said, I'd rather visit the full site via the browser but I can see why people want a dedicated app. Being that this is a site based around Apple, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation. Four years is ALOT of R&D by any standard.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

arn

I'll get us started. Some of these things may be able to be handled wih a redesigned site but not all

Notifications
Main stories
iOS blog
Mac blog
Replies
Subscribed threads

Forum changes
This is difficult to describe, and I understand it would be difficult to design, but there is a LOT that needs to change to make this better. All the buttons at the top, smilies on the side, submit button, etc were all designed for a small precise mouse pointer. Fix all the tiny next/back and page numbers. ability to upload images.

Really The whole site needs to be redesigned for touch. I'm imagining the news articles being collapsible and expandable with a touch. Things like that. I mean honestly if a touch web version was created I'd be happy. Notifications would be nice, but I do understand the convenience of just accessing MR from safari

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Because you get what you pay for?

No offense to anyone who has offered to contribute, but we've received a few offers for apps in the past, and the example work hasn't been very high quality.

App development takes a lot of time and effort, so it makes sense to pay someone to do it right.

arn

Just get someone to start a repository for you guys... I'm sure many of us would take some time from whatever projects we're working on to contribute code. There are some pretty amazing apps out there that are open source: FireFox, Google Chrome and Darwin (Mac OS X's core) to name a few notable ones.

It's also worth considering how easy it is to develop a basic iOS app these days. Get even a handful of devs contributing code to a repository and you should easily be able to do amazing things.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Just get someone to start a repository for you guys... I'm sure many of us would take some time from whatever projects we're working on to contribute code. There are some pretty amazing apps out there that are open source: FireFox, Google Chrome and Darwin (Mac OS X's core) to name a few notable ones.

It's also worth considering how easy it is to develop a basic iOS app these days. Get even a handful of devs contributing code to a repository and you should easily be able to do amazing things.

This.

Arn, why don't you make it open source? There have even been people in this thread who have started coding their own apps. I guess they stopped because you popped in and said that you'd be hiring "professionals" to do the job.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Notifications
RSS feed app?
Main stories
iOS blog
Mac blog
macrumors.com > Mobile Version

Replies
Subscribed threads
Forum changes

vB 4's new mobile style pretty much solves this. Or Tapatalk.

I still don't really see the point of an app. Mobile sites are way more flexible as they're automatically cross platform and cheaper to develop.

And don't forget the forums are vBulletin with a few hacks installed. You can't just "make an app for that" like you're parsing an RSS feed. Much more complicated.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi all,

It's been a while. I'm really busy at the moment, but in a couple of weeks I'd be able and willing to design some design mockups for the app. I'm glad there is still interest in a Macrumors app as I think it would help mobile users gain access to content in a much easier fashion whilst also helping Macrumors grow as a community.

I'm looking forward to further development on this project, be it via Arn or any other official at Macrumors or be it any of the forum members.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I still don't really see the point of an app. Mobile sites are way more flexible as they're automatically cross platform and cheaper to develop.

And don't forget the forums are vBulletin with a few hacks installed. You can't just "make an app for that" like you're parsing an RSS feed. Much more complicated.

I have to agree here. While an app would be neat, I can only imagine the workload and difficulty in first, getting it running and second, keeping it updated.

A good mobile site version seems like the better route to take. The current mobile version needs a lot of attention, and I think it would be easier to keep up with than an app.

Plus, with a mobile site, you have the flexibility of cross-platform, so those on non-iOS devices can still participate. And there is also Tapatalk which does a fairly good job in it's own right.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

If you make an app were not going to have an annoying pop up telling us there's an app for the site everytime we visit are we?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

arn

It might be useful to make this a sticky in the iPhone forum. I have always been interested in an app because the mobile site presents text that is far too small for my aging, deteriorating eyes. I was not aware that this thread existed, and I believe that there might be many others who are new to MR since 2008, when the thread was first posted.

In any case, the features I would love to see (and be willing to pay my 69p UK to help defray the cost of the development of the app) are:

1. separate tabs for access to news, blog, buyers guide,forums, & private messages.
  2. please no iAds - I'd be willing to pay a small price to avoid these...
  3. the ability to browse and respond to posts in the forums - on of the reasons I visit MR rather than TUAW on the iPhone.
  4. the ability to vote thumbs-up/down on posts in the forums
  5. readability - in particular control over the font size (and possibly text colour and background colour for those with dyslexia, for whom some combinations are a little easier to read).
  6. the ability to mark a thread as a favourite, so that it can be easily followed.
  7. please no paging of threads unless they're huge. 'Next page' buttons are inevitably by the edge of the iPhone screen, when the touchscreen is rather unreliable
  8. the ability to edit my account settings

Last edited:

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
MacRumors App?

Why is it that no one has created a MacRumors iPhone/iPad app yet? I can't be the only person who would like to see one.

Magai

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Macrumors iPad app

Is there any forum client for iPad so I can us it on Macrumors forum.
I find surfing on this forum on my iPad to be not so great. I was thinking an app can fix that. So is there any app like that now or in the near future?

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
Is there any forum client for iPad so I can us it on Macrumors forum.
I find surfing on this forum on my iPad to be not so great. I was thinking an app can fix that. So is there any app like that now or in the near future?

Tapatalk works witha number of forums including MacRumors.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yes tapatalk works great but the new tapatalkHD for ipad i didnt like a bit , i redownload the regular one.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
MacRumors iOS App

I don't mean to be picky, because I love Macrumors.com... But seriously, when will there be a Macrumors iOS App, currently I just have a home screen bookmark icon for macrumors.com... But I'd love to be able to open an app, I'm always refreshing and reading this site, I think Macrumors (Arn if you are reading this I'm talking to you! lol) should make an app!!

Am I the only one who wants an app?!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yes, you may be the only one.

Tapatalk is amazing for forums.
I get homepage news via RSS via Google sync to Reeder app.

Edit: maybe that was a little harsh, but it would be a waste of his time. So many other ways of consuming content here.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
Wirelessly posted

sunfast said:
I would LOVE an app like that. I don't find mobile macrumors a particular joy to browse

The first thing I did when I got my iPod touch was search for a macrumors app. The mobile site is a complete pain in the rear. Just make sure that this app is compatible with iOS 4.2.1 so us second gens can use it!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

arn
now that thread has been merged, and I see you want real feedback, my thoughts still apply.

tapatalk is amazing for forums.
I get homepage news via RSS via Google sync to Reeder app.

Edit: maybe that was a little harsh, but it would be a waste of his time. So many other ways of consuming content here.
Expand Tapatalk to TouchArcade!

Reeder, flipboard, and tapatalk reside on my main home screen. These are goto apps. And there are many alternatives others may use. No site specific app is going to become a staple.

I have abandoned hardforum.com for anandtech after >10yrs as membee simply due to the easier access tapatalk grants. Keep that in mind. Access ease and flexibility trumps all.

I dont want to burst your bubble, MacRumors has proven to be an awesome news site with a great feed of info, but youre in a pond of many. Im not going to open a separate app just for your content. I will consume via feeds with my flavor of the year, reeder/flipboard/GoogleReader this past year.

I have only momentarily downloaded a news site's app out of curiosity only to promptly delete it because its duplicate info, and extra effort, to make specific point to launch.

The only specific app I use is Engadget's Distro eMagazine. Its pseudo duplicate content. But its fun, more in depth, high quality, only once a week, so its like a special, and get a push notification reminding me to check it.

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
MacRumors App??

Maybe I'm losing my mind here, but there is a MacRumors app, correct? I have this button I press every day on my iPhone that I view MacRumors on. It's NOT a Safari shortcut. Yet I cannot find this anywhere on the App Store, and I find no mention of it on this site.

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
That's odd. I search the forums for "macrumors app" and I can't find that in the results.

Anyways, from what I read in that thread, it seems there isn't an app yet. So what do I have on my phone?! Like I said it's not a Safari shortcut, so what is it? I've had it there for about a year now and I want it on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.