Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
I've read through a lot of posts here, though not all of them, and can't find the answer to my question. If there is not a MacRumors app yet, then I can't figure out what I have on my iPhone currently. I have a button that takes me to the front news page, but it's not through Safari. When I hit the Home button, and then look at my recent apps, it shows up as Mac Rumors, not Safari. So it's not a Safari shortcut. What is it, and how did I get it? It's been over a year, and can't remember how to get it on my iPad now.

I've read through a lot of posts here, though not all of them, and can't find the answer to my question. If there is not a MacRumors app yet, then I can't figure out what I have on my iPhone currently. I have a button that takes me to the forum, but it's not through Safari. When I hit the Home button, and then look at my recent apps, it shows up as Mac Rumors, not Safari. So it's not a Safari shortcut. What is it, and how did I get it? It's been over a year, and can't remember how to get it on my iPad now.

It was probably an unsanctioned app that eventually got pulled

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
Ok, kind of feel like an idiot because I didn't try this first, but I still don't understand what's going on here. I just went thru Safari to Macrumors.com, and created a Home Screen shortcut. It created the button with the logo. When I click it, it does what my other button does, and it's not using Safari. So my question is what causes this site to create "that" when all my other Safari home screen shortcuts just take me through Safari? What's going on? Am I making sense to anyone?

Ok, kind of feel like an idiot because I didn't try this first, but I still don't understand what's going on here. I just went thru Safari to Macrumors.com, and created a Home Screen shortcut. It created the button with the logo. When I click it, it does what my other button does, and it's not using Safari. So my question is what causes this site to create "that" when all my other Safari home screen shortcuts just take me through Safari? What's going on? Am I making sense to anyone?

Yeah, I see what you're talking about. First, I created a home screen shortcut to the full site, and it automatically took me to safari. Then I created a home screen shortcut to the mobile site and it does create an app-like thing that is full screen with no browser interface what-so-ever and pops up as the MR icon in the multitask tray.

To add to the oddity, whenever I try to click on any link (iOS tab, Mac tab, forums tab, or anything) it takes me to safari and opens it there.

Update: I just deleted both icon's. When I deleted the full web shortcut it said "are you sure you want to delete the bookmark "Mac Rumors"?" but when I deleted the app-like shortcut it said "are you sure you want to delete "Mac Rumors"?"

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
Exactly! So I'm really curious what is special about the MacRumors site that allows it to be created in this manner. Surprised I haven't heard anything about this before.

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
Actually I just realized what it is. If you view the site in Safari on the iPhone, and you're viewing the full site, creating a Home Screen icon will do just that. However, if you are viewing the mobile site in Safari and create a home screen icon, it actually creates an "app". I still can't figure out what causes it to behave this way, but I like it. When you view the task list, it shows up as an "app", not Safari. Try it and you'll see what I mean. Wish I could figure this out. ever heard of anything like this before.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Special coding by MacRumors guys, server side. Other sites function like this, but only those who specifically coded for mobile devices properly.

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
Special coding by MacRumors guys, server side. Other sites function like this, but only those who specifically coded for mobile devices properly.

Interesting. Yet iOS doesn't recognize it as an app since it's not in iTunes, nor does it ever need updating. Very cool. Wish other sites would take this approach. Thanks!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted

If you make a web app as good as Stephen Frys then I think it's a good thing. His works great on iPhone and that bottom bit of screen real estate makes a huge difference to the user experience.

http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/#

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Anyone else think we need a MacRumors Forums app? I'm posting this from my iPhone now. While it works, it would be so much nicer to have a dedicated app. What do you think?

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Search for TapaTalk on iTunes. It lets you browse tons of forums, including this one.

Also, not every web page on the Internet needs an app. It would make Safari pointless, among other things.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
With the recent changes to the mobile site, I would rather have that than another app to clutter up my springboard. Honestly, it looks and works as good as any dedicated forum app I have seen.

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Search the forums... there are many threads on this topic and all can be found in Site feedback.

//Request close.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Search for TapaTalk on iTunes. It lets you browse tons of forums, including this one.

Also, not every web page on the Internet needs an app. It would make Safari pointless, among other things.

Cool - thanks. TapaTalk looks good!

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
Yeah, this fact makes in unusable for me. Any time I would want to view forums, iOS blog, mac blog, or see comments for a main article it would switch me to safari. It would annoy me.

But on a positive note, the mobile forums has been updated. significant improvement.

Hey I didn't notice this until today! The new look makes browsing the forums on my iPhone more enjoyable. Thanks for pointing that out!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I've read through a lot of posts here, though not all of them, and can't find the answer to my question. If there is not a MacRumors app yet, then I can't figure out what I have on my iPhone currently. I have a button that takes me to the front news page, but it's not through Safari. When I hit the Home button, and then look at my recent apps, it shows up as Mac Rumors, not Safari. So it's not a Safari shortcut. What is it, and how did I get it? It's been over a year, and can't remember how to get it on my iPad now.

Doesn't do that here. Just opens safari. I'd prefer it like Stephen Frys web app where all the screen is utilised.

Then clicking it again just opens anothe safari tab.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Guys,

Check out the TouchArcade App
http://itunes.apple.com/app/toucharcade-best-new-games/id509945427?mt=8

It's what our dev team has been working on for many months.

A lot of early unofficial TouchArcade and unofficial MacRumors apps just put the RSS feed in an App wrapper. I've said before that I don't see the point of an app just being a glorified RSS reader.

With TouchArcade I think we were able to provide a lot more functionality where the App experience is superior to the website.

We are fleshing out a MacRumors app now. It is still prob many months off, esp since one of our developers had an accident and is out of commission for a while. But I wanted to let you know that a MacRumors App is in consideration, and the goal is to make it a great experience... but that will take time.

arn

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
MacRumors app?

When are you guys releasing your app? Thought I recalled this was in the works some time ago. That would be sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.