Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

What don't make sense is why they don't have enough? Black is also a complete redesign so they had to make those from scratch too. It's just a color...

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Apple is probably trying to figure a way to cover that proximity sensor. Looks bad!

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
This makes it quite difficult for people who sold their previous models based on the expectation Apple gave for the phone to be available. Last minute changes like this aren't very ethical.

I agree. It's not like Steve Jobs didn't know about this just one week ago, when he told us that both white and black would be available for preorder on the 15th and released on the 24th. No way something big like this changed in just a week.

I sold both our 3GS immediately, wanting one black (for me) and white (for her). It's definitely going to be a tough choice now what to do. Thanks Apple.

They make such great great product but they've continue to treat their customers like crap, withholding key information such as this.

tdog09

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
in my experience apple stores always have way more stock than att stores. my guess is they kept the white for themselves to drive more sales in house. why? it's apple, when have they needed a reason for anything they've done?!

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
This sucks!

My iPhone 3G conveniently broke a few days ago so I *have* to order the new one now unless I don't want to do make calls for a while. I wanted the white and I don't even have the option of waiting. I wanted the white damnit!

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I think it is worse than you think guys. I don't think Jobs showed the white iPhone and then had demo white iPhone 4's for the media after WWDC planning to NOT have white iPhone 4's at launch and in stores. So what happened? I bet a huge quality control/build issue with the white phones. Maybe they saw a large portion were cracking / discoloring / etc. and so they had prevent their sale last minute. This could lead to shortages of the black if they planned for 20-30% of sales to be white and they can't sell 'em till they fix the issue...

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
There has got to be some sort of story here. Why did this happen? I cant believe that no one knows about it yet. I mean, when will it become available. If the best we are going to get is the info from that AT&T memo about. It being available "later this summer" this is really bad. :eek:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
White: Last minute build quality issue?!?!?

I think it is worse than you think guys.

I don't think Jobs showed the white iPhone and then had demo white iPhone 4's for the media after WWDC planning to NOT have white iPhone 4's at launch and in stores. His exact words at the keynote were: "So we have them in these colors, available June 24th..."

So what happened?

I bet a huge quality control/build issue with the white phones. Maybe they saw a large portion were cracking / discoloring / etc. and so they had to prevent their sale last minute. This could lead to shortages of the black if they planned for 20-30% of sales to be white and they can't sell 'em till they fix the issue...

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Almost every review I've seen from WWDC shown a White iPhone.
If there was some major deformity, we would have known about it.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Or apple is trying to control the demands to sell more units. Or Apple is trying to let people pre-order black ones first and then white ones. This is done, so their server does not freeze.
Or Apple is just really racist and doesn't like white ones.

Why is apple store down right now anyway.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Obviously not every white iPhone would have build issues and the units demoed at WWDC would be handpicked, but what if in last minute testing it showed white cases were 20% likely to be cracked in box or something... that would shut down white wouldn't it?

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
There better be a major defect for them not to have White as an option for pre-order or else I will be enraged.
I think Apple cares more about sales than their servers considering they ****ed this one up.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Obviously not every white iPhone would have build issues and the units demoed at WWDC would be handpicked, but what if in last minute testing it showed white cases were 20% likely to be cracked in box or something... that would shut down white wouldn't it?

Why, though?
The glass is the same on the black and white and I'm sure the plastic/whatever material underneath is the same too.

HotFieryTech

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
USA
This sucks!

My iPhone 3G conveniently broke a few days ago so I *have* to order the new one now unless I don't want to do make calls for a while. I wanted the white and I don't even have the option of waiting. I wanted the white damnit!

My 3G has a screen cracked so bad that you can barely see whats on it. I needed the iPhone asap and wanted white. I don't know what to do. If I wait for the white, I won't have a phone for a long time. If I preorder the black, well, what if theres a way I can get white? ugh... I've been a loyal apple fanboy, but this? This is just cruel.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's that grill on the front where the proximity sensor is. It's not on the black.

sean800

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Honestly, I'm really pissed off, there better be a ******* press release explaining why we can't have the phone, begging for our forgiveness, and explaining how we can buy a black one and exchange it for white for free later.:mad:

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
since i have a ATT store salesgirl's email I shot her an email and she actually replied already!

no white, she said not until after july 4th.

so i'm going with black but she said I have to come into the store to pre-order it (whatever) because of my FAN.

i can't trust anyone, greedy!

rrjr80

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I think it is worse than you think guys. I don't think Jobs showed the white iPhone and then had demo white iPhone 4's for the media after WWDC planning to NOT have white iPhone 4's at launch and in stores. So what happened? I bet a huge quality control/build issue with the white phones. Maybe they saw a large portion were cracking / discoloring / etc. and so they had prevent their sale last minute. This could lead to shortages of the black if they planned for 20-30% of sales to be white and they can't sell 'em till they fix the issue...

Seriously, they only became aware of this a week after WWDC but they didn't know eight days ago? I doubt it, just more typical Steve Jobs spin and selective information divulging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.