Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I think that Apple does it out of the goodness of their hearts. Or maybe as a public service. Or because they are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

Yeah! That's it! That's the ticket!

Lol, I get that you're cracking wise.. but, honestly for YEARS iTunes ran at "break-even". They were VERY transparent about why they would do that, btw. It was to create an ecosystem that worked seamlessly enough ONLY with their own branded hardware to lock in users and encourage them to continue using more and more Apple products and services (the halo effect..). It is only over the last few years that economy of scale has turned iTunes into a "for profit" venture.. & the very latest data I've seen still pegs it at about $2.2 billion per year, so just over $500 million per quarter.. scarcely significant in light of their near $44 billion in revenue last quarter, wouldn't you agree?

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Sure. But the question was whether more people currently use windows 8 or OS X.

Same data I posted.

----------

Which hard numbers are you referring to?

No, you've posted all OS X together against Windows 8. It's not the same. If you go for all OS X, you must add up all versions of windows as well.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
People actually use Windows 8?

Yes. Best OS I can use for my work. I have a three screen setup at work, and probably one of the best interfaces I can use.

Decades ahead of XP, years ahead of Win7. Haven't used Metro though. No point. No Expose, but very polished otherwise.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No, you've posted all OS X together against Windows 8. It's not the same. If you go for all OS X, you must add up all versions of windows as well.

Who are you to say what can be compared? I didn't make up the claim. Multiple posters in this thread have said that more people use windows 8 than OS X. I'm looking for evidence as to whether or not its true.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Could you post some ultrabook touchscreen sales figures? I'd be curious to see how they are selling. It seems like the brick and mortar stores are stocking more models of them than they did in the past.

As a previous employee of a major retail chain that sold PCs, I know these things are not selling very well. And you are right, they're stocking more of them but only because its a relatively new category. And most of them are just collecting dust in the top shelf. Also, consider that PC shipment/sales was in decline last year. And some brick and mortar stores are bleeding money because of poor sales, forcing them to close some stores across the nation. Just take a look at Staples. Their plan for "growth" was really just to close stores and pull a "Walmart" and "Amazon" trying to sell virtually any product in every category in-store and online.

" PC industry efforts to offer touch capabilities and ultraslim systems have been hampered by traditional barriers of price and component supply, as well as a weak reception for Windows 8. The PC industry is struggling to identify innovations that differentiate PCs from other products and inspire consumers to buy, and instead is meeting significant resistance to changes perceived as cumbersome or costly."

"While some consumers appreciate the new form factors and touch capabilities of Windows 8, the radical changes to the UI, removal of the familiar Start button, and the costs associated with touch have made PCs a less attractive alternative to dedicated tablets and other competitive devices.—"

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24065413

----------

A day in Techutopia

Apple: If you bring MS Office to iPad and the Mac App Store we will port iTunes to Windows 8?
MS: Deal.
It's a WIN-WIN for Apple, 30% cut in AppStore and a presence in the Windows Store->more iTunes users (although not a significant bunch)->revenue from iTunes Store.

Apple is just being Apple.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
From what I hear, there are 100 million licenses sold, but only about 30-35 million of them "in the wild" delivered to customers.
From what I hear, the earth is flat, heavier objects fall faster than light objects, and the moon is made of green cheese.

Don't believe everytrhing you hear.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

Windows 8 isn't that bad. I installed it via bootcamp and I like it a lot.

The integration of tablet environment with desktop is pretty impressive.

But bandwagoners keep saying it is crap. Half of the people I know saying it is bad haven't even used it before.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
I think it's a bad move on Apple's part. On one hand you could easily ask the quest of why should Apple help Microsoft, but on the other hand you can see it actually hurts Apple if Windows users have no way to transfer their music and data to their iDevices.

If Microsoft was to go all "Modern UI" in the next few years what choice would Apple have than either to support the OS or snub a huge device base?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I think it's a bad move on Apple's part. On one hand you could easily ask the quest of why should Apple help Microsoft, but on the other hand you can see it actually hurts Apple if Windows users have no way to transfer their music and data to their iDevices.

Except windows 8 users can still use iTunes.

If Microsoft was to go all "Modern UI" in the next few years what choice would Apple have than either to support the OS or snub a huge device base?

If that happened (as unlikely as it is) Apple could revisit their decision. Not a big deal.

bean dip

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
This rubs me the wrong way. Got an iphone 5 a while back and love it. I also love windows 8. Was meh with it at first but once I used it for a bit I was hooked. 8.1 is all the sweeter. If it comes down to it my next phone will be wp8. I want the itunes tile.

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001
It's funny how everyone defends the Metro interface by saying that it's not meant for a desktop computer. Which is fine, except that Windows 8 is a desktop OS, and is meant to run on desktop computers. Microsoft offers no official alternative for desktop computers.

Yes, they do. Surface RT and Surface Pro. and many 3rd parties do as well.

----------

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that iTunes is crap.

Windows or Mac, it just falls short.

On Windows it's really bloated and that is not part of the forward thinking associated with the METRO style Apps in Windows 8

Couldn't agree more. And Apple is indeed shooting themselves in the foot. Customers will simply look for alternatives if Apple fails to support their customers.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Couldn't agree more. And Apple is indeed shooting themselves in the foot. Customers will simply look for alternatives if Apple fails to support their customers.
How are they not supporting their customers? iTunes will still run in the desktop mode on Windows 8 proper machines. It just won't run on a competing Windows RT tablet.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
At my areas Best Buy, you may see the Asus G75 and a Samsung Series 7 17" with discrete graphics. Sometimes the 15" Asus G55. And of course the MBP 15".
I haven't been to Microcenter for a while, but I would imagine they would have a couple too.
A Best Buy Asus G Series is usually a special variant of the other models with a lower resolution panel and a specialty GPU. (128 vs.192-bit or DDR3 vs. GDDR5)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You wouldn't know which to download?

Now if only it was possible to have a single app with a different UI depending on whether or not you're in the Metro UI or the Desktop. Nah, that's not possible. Having two user interfaces would just be too much of a hassle.

No way Apple could do it.

That is a web browser. A relatively simple UI(s). I was just pointing out that there two versions of Adobe Reader. I never said that it was impossible to have one app and two UIs depending on device. But it is impossible to rid this forum of ignorant idiots.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else

I do. But I jump right to desktop mode and never look at the Start menu again, which obviously isn't how Microsoft wants me to use it.

I also do not desire a Metro version of iTunes.
Then again, I also refuse to upgrade to iTunes 11, so maybe there's something "wrong" with me.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
It's funny that some people try to justify that Win 8 isn't that bad on an Apple fan site. Seriously, one doesn't really expect an objective answer on the qualities/shortcomings of a competing product in here?

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I can't believe this, but that is 100% true. Any enterprise machines that are sold are Windows 7, but they consider that a Windows 8 sale.

It IS a Win8 sale, basically because most at computer stores the PC's arrive with Win8 already pre-installed. The license is often glued to the case of the PC. In fact, just because of this many stores refuse to remove the Windows copy when asked.
A friend of mine had such a situation. The local store manager got angry, just because my friend insisted that the store should deduct the price of the Windows license since wouldn't use it anyway. He wanted to build a new Linux based server, so why pay for software he never will use?

More on-topic:
iTunes needs a diet. Apple should remove all the iOS app garbage from it. That belongs in the App-store application. iTunes is for music and no other crap.
And if Apple really wants add new stuff... add a serious equivalent of VolumeLogic. That's more important than crappy Windows tiles.

Last edited:

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah

Apple does a lousy job supporting software for their own platform, they care even less about Windows. Although it would be nice if they played nice with others.

Considering Macs only make up 10% of the PC market from a purely financial and statistical perspective I would bet they get a much larger percentage of iTunes sales from Windows users than Mac users.

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I do, but not by choice. :mad:

Windows 8 is fantastic when using a program to bring back the start menu. Best OS I have ever used, and the option to use metro apps and games is an added bonus. I love getting XBox achievements on cheap games like Rayman.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple is really showing why they're getting the image of being a company that makes products for the elderly.
Aging population and all. Seriously WWDC ticket sales show enough still want to develop on OS X and iOS. Plus the fact that the majority of users are not tech nerds. They appreciate the low learning curve OS X and iOS have.

...so why do Macs only make up 10% of the entire PC market?
Apple have no want to sell high volume at razor thin margins. Their lower sales but way higher margins keeps Apple at the profit leader in the desktop+notebook market. Why sell tons of a product when you can sell way less but make more profit.

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
Windows 8 is fantastic when using a program to bring back the start menu. Best OS I have ever used, and the option to use metro apps and games is an added bonus. I love getting XBox achievements on cheap games like Rayman.

I'm using StartIsBack, and it's made Win8 usable. Can't say I prefer it to Win7, but it is fast and stable.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I understand why Apple might be doing this, but I don't agree with it. Perhaps it's because MS is dragging their heels with an Office for iOS app? In the end, consumers are the ones who suffer.

Microsoft has not even made a metro version of Office. Until Windows 8 gains significant market share (and it will in time), a metro version of iTunes is the least of Apple's worries.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Out of curiosity, what exactly have they taken away for you? I haven't noticed anything missing from the desktop interface other than the Start Menu (which is obviously replaced with the Start Screen).

I can understand if the issue is due to workflow as Windows 8 changes a lot of things, but I haven't noticed a reduction of features. If anything, I find the desktop interface now more focused for pro users with its emphasis on keyboard shortcuts and the added stuff such as the improved task manager.

Or am I totally missing your point here? :)

Apps that used to launch automatically and run services would only do so once you load up the Start Menu screen, which slows things down quite drastically (because we deal with lots of large files and our systems have an auto start-up system, by the time you get to your system it's ready to go). Lots of pro software isn't built to support that panel view. It's basically useless - there's no need in upgrading from 7 in a work environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.