Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I love Pages and Keynote. Prefer it over Word and PowerPoint.
Now to get Numbers to do more functions and handle larger spreadsheets I can ditch Excel.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Too big, too late? Why, oh why, would I want to clog up my iPad with Office? I've got Pages and Numbers and don't really need anything else. And how much is this little bundle going to cost? I'm betting its not going to be cheap.

Well, some of us need to be compatible with the majority of the world and would also like to do some editing on the iPad without it destroying the document. Even if I wanted to use Pages to edit a document on the iPad I would have to put up with it stripping out everything that the iPad didn't support when I save.

I would have switched to Pages, but Apple (IMO) has implemented it in a way on the iPad that prevents me from doing so. So, I have to use documents to go, which is not that great, but at least it doesn't wipe out anything that is not totally basic when I save a document.

If there is no Office for iPad in the works all I can say is "I am so disappoint."

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
Really its actually easy, but its true it does not go as far as Excel does.

Still not that hard and I use both the mac and iPad version. iCloud made me leave MS. :D

I have Numbers and Pages installed on my imac and ipad as well. :eek: I guess it's time for a few more tutorials...

And I love the cloud as well - wish it worked with office.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; Xoom Build/IML77) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.75 Safari/535.7)

Boo hiss Microsoft!

Massive missed opportunity if it doesn't happen.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Microsoft seems to enjoy losing market share.

Microsoft is primarily a software company. Therefore, they will develop software for platforms that have a potential to yield most customers. iOS, at this point in time, has an order of magnitude more customers than the other competing platforms. This is why it would make 100% sense for Microsoft to develop office for iOS first.

fortify7

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Microsoft denies imminent launch

I want to be clear. Microsoft is not working on anything cool or creative. Any reports to the contrary are simply inaccurate.

Renzatic

Suspended
I want to be clear. Microsoft is not working on anything cool or creative. Any reports to the contrary are simply inaccurate.

So if they develop Office for their tablet OS, it's lame? For iOS, it's cool and creative?

Like I said in the other Office for iPad thread, I wouldn't at all be surprised if it did eventually show up. As has been previous stated, MS is a software company. Software is what they do.

Though I would be surprised if it shows up before WOA releases later this year. It is, after all, MS's one big draw towards their own tablet platform.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Regarding The Daily's update...

I think I believe The Daily and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft rep is playing it down at the discretionary request from both Microsoft themselves and Apple.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
wow some of the comments on the 1st page usually never fail to entertain, as in this case, lol

johua

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
:D
I have had office for Mac on 4 different Macs over the years and it takes forever to open, crashes all the time and I get a pinwheel for 20 seconds anytime I try to change a font. Microsoft just doesn't do well developing on platforms other than Windows.

Oh oh, and every time I plug my Air into my thunderbolt display every excel window I have open goes full screen no matter how much data it contains...super annoying. Ok now I'm just complaining. ;)

Honestly, they do pretty bad job developing windows too.

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
I really do hope this comes out for iPad soon. It would make note-taking sooo much easier. And I may be the minority but Windows 7 and Office 10 are both really nice. I still use my Mac at home but I'm not quite so frustrated at school. :D

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
"Some of it's not true." "Which parts?" "No comment."

It's clear to see that they don't have any plans of launching their biggest product onto the device with the largest momentum. Nope, not them.

Every copy of Office put on an iPad would eliminate a future purchase of their tablet computer. Many many people would rush out to purchase an iPad if they could run Office on it. Microsoft doesn't want to promote iPad sales. They'll hold out until their tablet sales have been established.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Let me explain the confusion as I understand it.

What your seeing is Office on an iPad but not intended for an iPad.

You are seeing early development for an Office product on Arm based tablets, intended for release when we eventually see windows 8 based tablets.

The development of these early software prototypes is being carried out on iPads but will never be released as iPad software, they are merely the tools for development as windows based arm tablets are likewise still in development alongside the OS.

It explains the confusion and the subsequent denial of product for the iPad.

Microsoft need an office product to be released alongside the Windows 8 tablets. Its a way of selling them to Joe Public via recognised brand recognition, and give them some differentiator from the slew of Android and iOS devices.

Do not expect to see this on the iPad unless win 8 tablets are a flop.

----------

I love Pages and Keynote. Prefer it over Word and PowerPoint.
Now to get Numbers to do more functions and handle larger spreadsheets I can ditch Excel.

Pages on Lion is a disaster. Complete memory hog, and becomes very slow and unresponsive. It was never like that on snow leopard.

I pray to god Apple release iWork updates this year and soon, otherwise I'll have to abandon pages completely. I used it a heck of a lot, now I begrudgedly use it since Lion.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
That's too bad. It looked really good so far.

As a professional who wants to be more mobile and nimble, I could really use office on the ipad especially from MS that can natively edit .doc/.docx and .ppt/.pptx files.

If they price it right... ($49???) it would be something I would purchase from the app store.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Looking forward to it...

Since it's on iOS, it can't have all the cruft that Office v.X through 2011 have had to carry. It would be funny if Office for iOS ran better than Office for Mac!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
WHO gives a damn LOL, it's from Microsoft! They probably just took a year to copy Apple's iWork suite for the iPad and still did a hideous job out of it. Anyone seen the UI of the latest iteration of Office for Mac?

This picture is almost what I can see if I wanted to edit both a powerpoint document and an excel document at the same time on my laptop screen. I'd split my workspace down the middle but then random buttons would go AWOL.

Who'd have thought all this time I was simply using my computer wrong. :rolleyes:

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Every copy of Office put on an iPad would eliminate a future purchase of their tablet computer. Many many people would rush out to purchase an iPad if they could run Office on it. Microsoft doesn't want to promote iPad sales. They'll hold out until their tablet sales have been established.

or it could help them sell more copies of office for tablet.

So it's really hard to say.

But at the end of the day, its up to MS to ask themselves what their identity is. Besides a few peripherals and game consoles, is MS a software company or or hardware company.

If they claim to be a software company that sells software (Windows, Office, etc), then why would it matter what hardware or OS it runs on?

They they are making Windows 8 on tablet, they are not really making the hardware. They will be licensing the software:O/S to hardware makers to create tablets using their software and specification to run that software.

So they really have to think about their options:
A) release office(tablet edition) on ipad == more customers but could kill their own tablet market.
B) exclusive release on Windows tablet == could potentially lead to growth in that market. This is not a certainty

This is going to be a tough gamble.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I have had office for Mac on 4 different Macs over the years and it takes forever to open, crashes all the time and I get a pinwheel for 20 seconds anytime I try to change a font. Microsoft just doesn't do well developing on platforms other than Windows.

Oh oh, and every time I plug my Air into my thunderbolt display every excel window I have open goes full screen no matter how much data it contains...super annoying. Ok now I'm just complaining. ;)

Works fine for me. And everyone else using it in my company. Perhaps you're doing something wrong?

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seemed strange to see MS use à windows-like theme on the iPad instead of the Office:mac design...

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I pray to god Apple release iWork updates this year and soon, otherwise I'll have to abandon pages completely. I used it a heck of a lot, now I begrudgedly use it since Lion.

Seriously, why did they abandon iWork, except for minor updates? Very annoying. Anyway, off topic.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Pages, keynote, numbers... nuff said..

No, not nuff said. Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are nice for consumers, but do not work well enough in a corporate environment where Office is the dominant platform. Office 2011 works great, plays nice (for the most part) with Office 2007/2010, and is very stable. Even a slimmed down version for the iPad that kept formatting proper would be a fantastic addition for companies.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I have no idea what to believe now. Oh well we'll just have to wait and see, or not see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.