Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingsabre

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Most people are related to some student, faulty, or staff, and the subscription is for 5 devices. You could always deactivate a device when switching, so it's not locked into a device, and you can deactivated a device from another device. So it comes down to about $20 a year, and if you split that 5 way, it's about $4 per person/devices/year.

Also, for that amount of storage on skydrive it's about $10 a year regularly. And ignoring the skype component, it's less than $9.99 a year for the office component.

IMO, if you use office daily, and you need excel, then this is very affordable.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I've never studied business, so maybe somebody can enlighten me on how this model is a good move.

First, we have Google Drive, a completely free, completely mobile office suite that works incredible well with a distributed work force and supports easy collaboration. I work for a newspaper that uses Google Drive for all their editing and story budgeting. It works perfectly

Second, Microsoft takes the one think Office still has - you get to "buy" your own version which people still seem to value - and turn it into a cloud-based subscription model that you have to pay over a hundred dollars a year for? And if you want a non subscription version you pay a huge surcharge? I got my student version of Office for $70, and now it costs, like, $130?

This seems like a really block-headed move that's going in the wrong direction.

Perhaps I missed some of the advantages or value added by this reboot - I just skimmed the story.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
What will your company do in May 2014? My understanding is that XP will be end-of-life'd in April 2014. That means no more security updates or and fixes whatsoever.

Even April 2014 might not be the end of support for XP since I think it was originally supposed to go out of "style" after the release of Windows 7.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
IMHO, the only reason for Office anymore is Excel. Excel, quite simply is the only spreadsheet to use for power users. However, and I think this is the important part, what % of people or businesses actually need all that greatness and raw power?
-I'd venture a guess that it's not that large.

Word? There are enough free or close to free Word Processors that meet MOST peoples needs.

Powerpoint? There are other alternatives, not the least of which is Keynote.

Coachingguy

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I've never studied business, so maybe somebody can enlighten me on how this model is a good move.

First, we have Google Drive, a completely free, completely mobile office suite that works incredible well with a distributed work force and supports easy collaboration. I work for a newspaper that uses Google Drive for all their editing and story budgeting. It works perfectly

Second, Microsoft takes the one think Office still has - you get to "buy" your own version which people still seem to value - and turn it into a cloud-based subscription model that you have to pay over a hundred dollars a year for? And if you want a non subscription version you pay a huge surcharge? I got my student version of Office for $70, and now it costs, like, $130?

Perhaps I missed some of the advantages or value added by this reboot - I just skimmed the story.

I think the main value is going to be the creation of a service instead of an actual product which will in time generate more revenue for MS and will lead to a decrease in expenses related to the production of actual boxes. Yes, I know that they will still be making those, but I am willing to bet that there will be a swift uptake of this service which will justify the move.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Microsoft's behavior here is really quite poor.

Consider the fact that Microsoft cut its teeth on point and click, object oriented computing on the Macintosh back in the early days when Bill and Steve were best friends.

Now this is the way they treat paying customers? Yes, if you use a Mac.

MS stop crippling Office for the Mac. Keep it updated along with your Windows counterpart. After all you guys certainly know the Mac inside out. There is no excuse.

Of course we should be grateful that MS deigns to give us Mac users anything. We're just a tiny portion of their business. And don't get me started on the non-existent iPad version of Office :rolleyes:

On the money!! Also, why can't APPLE improve iWork to a level comparable to MS Office; wouldn't that pay off for them in the long run? There'll always be Office, but with a dramatically improved iWork, more of the installed Mac base would use iWork rather than Office.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Seriously? I can buy a single licence of Office right now and use it frequently for as long as i want without pay some subscription.

If you are one of those "if it ain't break, don't fix it" type, and I realize there are many of you out there, that model is more cost effective.

But some people need or want to upgrade more quickly for whatever reasons. And since Microsoft no longer offering discounted upgrade price for non-SaaS Office, anyone wanting to stay up-to-date will need to fork over anywhere between $140 (home edition), $220 (business edition), and $400 (professional edition) every 2 years.

For some, paying $100/year for SaaS offering that includes professional edition + 20GB cloud services makes more sense, especially since the license includes both Mac and PC versions for installation up to 5 PCs and Macs in a single household.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Who needs to keep their Office updated anyway? They will just have the same functions, just an different UI:p

The Office at my workplace's PC is still 2003:p:p:p

Yeah my job only updated to office 2007 last year.

wingsabre

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Windows 8 is lightning fast but i cant ever see my office adopting it. Its too consumer. I have office 03 on my work machine and aside from the interface its the same as the new version i have at home.

When you mean consumer, do you mean easier? That's usually what consumer means. Why would someone want something that's more complicated? That's especially the case for work flow.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Not really worried about update of officr on my mac. Ive been using open office which is free and almost as good as ms office.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
My workplace of over 110,000 employees still uses Office 2003 and XP. If it ain't broke...

Every arch and engineering firm we work with is too. MS is going to have a hard time getting them to upgrade after the Office 2007 disaster & eventual 2003 downgrades. ...and to pay a subscription fee for MS Office.

...glad we but the bullet and converted everything to iWork a couple years ago.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I am a recent MS Win switcher and I constantly am *slapped* with features that are missing. I just went to write an email to a client and tried to insert a table into my HTML email. Where is it? Oh, it's not there yet.

I then from outlook tried to "find all from this recipient" and that's gone too. Bah.:mad:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Personally I think Apple and MS are more alike than people think. Apple faces the same problem but on the software side. Where MS OEM's put out cheap junk hardware that still runs a robust software ecosystem, Apple puts out great hardware but doesn't pay enough attention to software. On desktop they've had to allow people to Bootcamp Windows to account for third party software deficiencies. On mobile, they emphasize app quantity over quality and had no problem letting it turn into a budget market. This is a parallel to MS letting OEM's flood the market with a ton of cheap Wintel computers made of plastic.

Basically Apple is content to let their premium hardware run cheap applications, as long as their hardware is selling. MS was content to let cheap hardware run their expensive OS and Office Suite, as long as the software was selling. Only thing is now, Windows 8 isn't selling because the OEM's didn't listen to them, and MS now has to put out their own hardware to save the brand.

If the Surface Pro becomes a success, it'll be because the Windows ecosystem offers worthwhile software solutions you can't find on iOS. Apple will lose their leverage on mobile and their lack of attention to software will hurt them

I don't think so; Apple is a totally different sort of company.

First off: Bootcamp was a long time ago. If it were happening today, I'm not sure Apple would bother with it. Even if they did, I'm not sure it can really be interpreted as Apple just giving up on software. OSX and iOS have come leaps and bounds since the Intel switch, despite Bootcamp.

As for the AppStore, Apple in no way emphasises quantity over quality. Actually the opposite is true: the review guidelines state that they may reject apps for not being significantly novel or different (e.g. another fart app). Apple is constantly banging on about how even though Android has many of the same apps, the iOS versions are usually much better quality. Quality of 3rd party software is a big deal for them. Have you taken a look at the apps they demo on iPad retail units? It's a great selection of pixel-perfect masterpieces like djay and garageband. Look at the quality apps they promote all over their ads.

Apple can't force developers to make great apps, but they shouldn't have to - so long as the developers get rewarded for doing so, they'll do it. It's a virtuous cycle - Apple wants the best apps, so they focus their promotional work the kind of apps they would like, and developers get rewarded for quality. If you're developing iOS apps and you want to know what a great app looks like, look at the ones Apple promotes.

As a developer who has worked very closely on both iOS and Android apps, I'm convinced that iOS is the better platform. The API is well structured and thought out, updates are rolled out smoothly, reliability is high, the tools and documentation is excellent, the technologies (specifically CoreData and CoreAnimation) which were industry-leading on the Mac are still industry-leading. iOS6 added a lot of things that developers have wanted for ages, and the way some of it has been implemented is really just superb (I'm thinking UICollectionView here). It's taken them a while, but boy did they deliver with that particular feature!

As a developer, I'm convinced that iOS apps are going to keep their quality lead over Android for quite some time. Apple are giving the best incentives that they can, while keeping the market relatively open for newcomers. It's difficult; I don't think Apple ever really expected the AppStore to become so big (which was foolish of them, but at least it hasn't hurt them). Maybe they would have set people's price expectations a little differently if they'd known how it would scale.

MoogBot

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Amen brother!

"Power users" of Excel should Power Learn some scripting and dbase

I hear you, but I'm definitely one of those people that does not make the leap towards a full fledged DB. Just made a portfolio management excel sheet database style. On the mac version of Excel... don't know exactly why one of the commenters before said it sucks, I use it all the time and do some interesting stuff with it. I consider Excel to be one of the best things MS ever did.

BTW, care to point me in the right direction to learn about scripting and dbase as you say...?

Cheers

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
If you are one of those "if it ain't break, don't fix it" type, and I realize there are many of you out there, that model is more cost effective.

But some people need or want to upgrade more quickly for whatever reasons. And since Microsoft no longer offering discounted upgrade price for non-SaaS Office, anyone wanting to stay up-to-date will need to fork over anywhere between $140 (home edition), $220 (business edition), and $400 (professional edition) every 2 years.

For some, paying $100/year for SaaS offering that includes professional edition + 20GB cloud services makes more sense, especially since the license includes both Mac and PC versions for installation up to 5 PCs and Macs in a single household.

As far as i'm concerned everything i do can be done on Office 97 and on Mac iWork works just fine. Keynote is just a blessing compared to Power Point.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Until recently, I was using Office 2003 at work, so Office 2011 on the Mac is more than good enough for me. I've tried the free alternatives and, when it comes to complex documents (think rigorously imposed styles so we can do things like requirements cross reference using a VBA script), the competition is always found wanting. Only Open Office is close to being in the game for what we need to do.

Anyway, doesn't the Mac community have this debate every time MSFT launches a new Office for Windows?

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
iWork updates have been really sporadic — it's still "iWork '09"! I create Keynote presentations all the time and have NO way to let non-Mac users see them. You used to be able to upload them to iWork for an in-browser presentation that preserved pretty much everything from the original. iCloud has no replacement for that feature.

Umm... export as PDF/PPT/Images.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Am I the only one that doesn't want to pay extra for cloud storage for things like SkyDrive, iCloud, and Creative Cloud? I'd much rather have Dropbox easily integrated into my OS's than individual services. Don't get me wrong, I see the value and importance of companies offering cloud storage for businesses, but man, cut some costs.

iCloud comes free with an iOS device.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
What will your company do in May 2014? My understanding is that XP will be end-of-life'd in April 2014. That means no more security updates or and fixes whatsoever.

They'll jump to Windows 7 which is actually a halfway decent OS, especially for businesses. And by then, I'm sure Windows 9 will be well in the works that will probably fix the mess of W8.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Umm... export as PDF/PPT/Images.

"Ummm" thanks, but I'm not an idiot. I've done that, even importing those PDF images of each build back into a PPT document for PC distribution. I've also exported as Quicktime video. I've tried everything. But none of that flies as a real presentation, does it? Definitely NOT a substitute for the iWork.com web-based sharing we had before.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
I switched over to Google Docs years ago and have been very happy. Of course, my Word processing and Spreadsheet needs are very minimal. I'm just a casual home user.

Who are these mythical power users who need Access or even the full versions of these apps? Unless you are running a business from home, I don't see the justification for the price and functionality on this. If it is for business, why call it "Home"? Which suggests to me a consumer edition.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I'll just say it

I'll just say it, the google docs suite is just poor. I know I know, for 90% of users it's really all they need, but there is just so much functionality missing that a Word, Excel and Powerpoint offer to a legacy user of such tools/applications that google docs really cannot be considered a viable alternative.

I like free like anyone else (and google has now made their SMB 5+ user product no longer free), but it still has to perform.

This product really is a shot across the bow of Google Apps (A really nascent part of the google empire at just shy of 1B a year in revs), I think MSFT is going to be able to get a pretty substantial uptake on product offerings like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.