Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The bigger question is why?

Is Office really that relevant anymore? There are many other alternatives that are available now that can do the job.

Yes, Office is still relevant.

To think otherwise is... well, it's really funny.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'm not against Office coming to the iPad but I do think its lost some serious luster and probably won't have much attraction. Why do I say this? Because Microsoft will try to push it as a free download (Apple doesn't get a penny) but for full functionality, you must purchase an Office 365 subscription. I don't think too many folks will jump on that outside the enterprise market.

Microsoft lost it's identity and lacks vision. They could have cleaned up releasing this (without the subscription model) on iPad and Android years ago. I see this just like the launch of Office on the iPhone earlier this year, irrelevant.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm not against Office coming to the iPad but I do think its lost some serious luster and probably won't have much attraction. Why do I say this? Because Microsoft will try to push it as a free download (Apple doesn't get a penny) but for full functionality, you must purchase an Office 365 subscription. I don't think too many folks will jump on that outside the enterprise market.

Microsoft lost it's identity and lacks vision. They could have cleaned up releasing this (without the subscription model) on iPad and Android years ago. I see this just like the launch of Office on the iPhone earlier this year, irrelevant.

They didn't have a touch interface for Office years ago.

Office is a bit more complex than iWork.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Microsoft's chance to put/sell a boat load of money on iPhones, Androids selling mobil versions of Office left a LONG time ago! Now that the two main competitors have third party Microsoft compatible free suites now the Office money train has passed them by.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple is a hardware company. Period. There are no strict divisions. The same teams work across all products. It's rare for a company its size but it works for Apple. Microsoft on the other hand would most likely benefit from a voluntary break into separate companies. They are their own worst enemy.

Apple is vertically integrated and their organizational structure is functional/matrixed. One guy for software, one for hardware, design, marketing, etc. They may report to the street by product line but none of the SVPs "own" a specific product.

Microsoft is attempting to be vertical (Surface, Windows Phone) and horizontal (Windows, Office, server, etc). Its very difficult to be both. Microsoft can change the org design to be more matrixed but unless they change the culture moving boxes around and updating titles doesn't much matter.

----------

How is excel or access relevant on a touchscreen tablet. I use excel every day. I can't imagine using it on an iPad. :eek:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Thats not what happened at all. The Office division is in the process of creating a touch version of Office. Once that is ready, they will release it on iOS as well.

You know this for certain? It sure seems like Microsoft wanted to keep Office a Surface exclusive to avoid losing sales of hardware to the iPad.

It's probably easier for Apple though because each one drives the other by necessity. If you buy Apple software (even from the competition), you need Apple hardware to run it on, and you can only buy that from Apple. Conversely, Apple is working hard to ensure that you buy lots of their software (iWork, Final Cut Pro, Logic, etc.) when you buy their hardware.

Apple doesn't really care if you prefer iWork or Microsoft Office -- they made much of their profit already on your iMac or MacBook Pro.

The same is not as true of Microsoft. If you buy a PC and choose not to buy Office, they only profit from the sale of the Windows OS license, if even that (e.g. Linux PCs).

Yes. Little or no organizational conflict, and with one goal.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007

Office is Relevant today like Blackberry was relevant in 2006.

No guarantees that in 7 years that will still be the case. Now if they continue to sit on their ass and milk the customer base like BBRY did in 2006, then you put the franchise at risk.

Microsoft fatcats running the company need to wake up and make sure they do not paint themselves in a corner.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Apple is vertically integrated and their organizational structure is functional/matrixed. One guy for software, one for hardware, design, marketing, etc. They may report to the street by product line but none of the SVPs "own" a specific product.

Microsoft is attempting to be vertical (Surface, Windows Phone) and horizontal (Windows, Office, server, etc). Its very difficult to be both. Microsoft can change the org design to be more matrixed but unless they change the culture moving boxes around and updating titles doesn't much matter.

----------

How is excel or access relevant on a touchscreen tablet. I use excel every day. I can't imagine using it on an iPad. :eek:

Why not? If there's a touch interface, then it just becomes a truly mobile Office. I know a lot of people want to just use their iPads as "fun time", but this is something that would help people be able to use their tablets to do some of the work they might otherwise need to pull out a laptop or go to their desktop to do.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Microsoft you f'd up

Seriously they should have just gone all out and made a version for windows 7/8, forget about RT it's never going to catch on under a windows moniker, an ipad version, a iphone version, mac osx and a android version with also a cloud like operation for all where you can also access online like google drive or icloud does.

This would have been my number one objective to keep the stranglehold on the productivity market as MS! I mean come on why did they wait. I already use open office on PC and google docs if i'm not at my computer and icloud if i'm only with my ipad. They all play nice. MS should have set the standard so high but instead they just failed to launch at all. Politics I suppose.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Apple is a hardware company. Period. There are no strict divisions. The same teams work across all products. It's rare for a company its size but it works for Apple. Microsoft on the other hand would most likely benefit from a voluntary break into separate companies. They are their own worst enemy.

There was a time people thought the same of Apple, remember the good old 90's? I'm sure no one from Software wanted anything to do with the PowerPC mess.

Again, I am a huge Apple fan, but I am not going to sit here and say everything Microsoft did is crap. I laugh about their failures (Zune, Ken, Surface, Windows Mango, Windows Vista, etc...) but I am not going to deny their legacy and their influence.

I have faith that they will get a new CEO who will turn it all around

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Microsoft you f'd up

Seriously they should have just gone all out and made a version for windows 7/8, forget about RT it's never going to catch on under a windows moniker, an ipad version, a iphone version, mac osx and a android version with also a cloud like operation for all where you can also access online like google drive or icloud does.

This would have been my number one objective to keep the stranglehold on the productivity market as MS! I mean come on why did they wait. I already use open office on PC and google docs if i'm not at my computer and icloud if i'm only with my ipad. They all play nice. MS should have set the standard so high but instead they just failed to launch at all. Politics I suppose.

They can't just snap their fingers and make a good touch interface. Apple did it by dumbing down iWork. I doubt Microsoft really needs to follow the idea of "touch office suite interface must be dumbed down".

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
There is still no alternative for macros in Excel, and a million other functions. Just because you don't do anything more than edit documents and sheets does not make your experience typical for the consumer.
I cannot imagine working with a complex Excel sheet on a tablet, but maybe their touch interface will make it a good enough experience. Not holding my breath though.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Office is Relevant today like Blackberry was relevant in 2006.

No guarantees that in 7 years that will still be the case. Now if they continue to sit on their ass and milk the customer base like BBRY did in 2006, then you put the franchise at risk.

Microsoft fatcats running the company need to wake up and make sure they do not paint themselves in a corner.

:rolleyes:

Really? What is this big thing that is putting the franchise at risk? Where is the thing that is replacing them? And please, have some credibility and don't say Google Docs or iWork.

Mikeysworld

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
What is the point?

What is the point in waiting for a release of Office apps for the iPad when Microsoft has proven year after year to not fully support Apple in any of its products. The "latest" release for the Mac is Office 2011 which "resembles" the true Office that Windows receives but falls short. Does anyone believe for a second that Microsoft will release the same functioning Office App that will be released for their hardware? If you simply look at the Apple App Store you can find apps that work the way they are supposed to for the iPad such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What is the point in waiting for a release of Office apps for the iPad when Microsoft has proven year after year to not fully support Apple in any of its products. The "latest" release for the Mac is Office 2011 which "resembles" the true Office that Windows receives but falls short. Does anyone believe for a second that Microsoft will release the same functioning Office App that will be released for their hardware? If you simply look at the Apple App Store you can find apps that work the way they are supposed to for the iPad such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

And yet Office on Mac still has more to offer than Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Isn't that sad?

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
I wonder about how they are implementing it myself. If they mess up Office, it could cost them. They can't afford to not listen to people's opinions this time around...

That said, MS Office isn't going to magically die. iWork and Google Docs are not sufficient--feature wise--for a large corporation yet. In time they may be, but for the moment Office still has a stranglehold on that market.

Yeah, this will be interesting to see. If MS looses the continued mythical appeal of Office, they have lost a ton going forward.

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
My first thought was "there's a reason Ballmer's ass was kicked to the curb."

My second thought was "who cares? Office dug its own grave."

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
My first thought was "there's a reason Ballmer's ass was kicked to the curb."

My second thought was "who cares? Office dug its own grave."

I love responses like this.

Office is the most used office suite out there, but apparently it dug its own grave. You can't make this crap up.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
There is not way I am letting Mocrosoft software creep on my iPad :) Sorry but they only price of software the was glitchy and clunky on my Mac was Microsoft Office!

Apples Pages, Keynote and Numbers are easily on par with this and are not free when bought with a new device.

And the chances are Mircosoft will charge 79.99 for this anyway.

Not. A. Chance.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
There is not way I am letting Mocrosoft software creep on my iPad :) Sorry but they only price of software the was glitchy and clunky on my Mac was Microsoft Office!

Apples Pages, Keynote and Numbers are easily on par with this and are not free when bought with a new device.

And the chances are Mircosoft will charge 79.99 for this anyway.

Not. A. Chance.

It'll likely be a companion for Office 365, as it should be. No reason for Microsoft to give Apple a 30% cut of Office.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I love responses like this.

Office is the most used office suite out there, but apparently it dug its own grave. You can't make this crap up.

That is only because a large number of people think that is the only option. If you let people try out Open Office or Pages, Numbers and Keynote and the told them that they were all considerably cheaper thean MS Office; the majority would throw MS Office out the Window.

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
To put into perspective how stupid it was for Ballmer to be such an MS fanboi and spurn an iPad version of Office, imagine if Apple had been that dumb and never made a Windows version of iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.