Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Anyone find it interesting this HP touchscreen tablet was called a "Slate" PC? Interesting, since Apple has had the iSlate trademark since 2007.. which came to light in the last few weeks.

Seems like M$ is doing a little copycating.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
That was one hell of a demo... swiping book pages, a 10 second teaser video and playing a video? I really set my expectations too high.... lesson learned for the Apple event later this month.

This is Microsoft. Get used to disappointment.

"I want to highlight new form factors in what we call Slate PCs." - Lord Ballmer

"What we call?" Seriously?

Translation: "We can't upstage Apple's upcoming product, but at least we can ruin the Slate name for them."

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
No problem with games, though.

7:51
Matthew Arkin: How will 2010 be a landmark for Xbox, tons of exclusive xbox games
7:52
DaveLegg: Content packs for COD:MW2 coming in spring
Matthew Arkin: Splinter Cell Conviction.
Matthew Arkin: Fable 3 and Crackdown 2
Matthew Arkin: Pyscological Action thrillers

Stephen Roberts: HALO!

7:54
DaveLegg: Halo Reach
DaveLegg: set before halo 1

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I liked the part where Balmer says " We call them Slates. Because they don't have a keyboard".

What he meant to say :

We call them Slates because we heard through the rumor mill Apple was calling their ******* iSlate.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Matthew Arkin: Halo Reach, the epic battle before halo 1
DaveLegg: Not showing the preview on the live stream :(
7:55
Sean Bradford:
FAIL.
Matthew Arkin: we don't get to see the video because of copyright, wtf!
Stephen Roberts: David hess whats happening man?

kdarling

macrumors P6
So many childish attacks on Balmer and his looks.

It'd be interesting to see photos of some of the people who post here all the time. Wonder how handsome they are? :rolleyes:

(Of course, the kids here are already pretty obvious... they're the ones who think everything is either black or white, with no shades of gray. And they define themselves by what they buy that's designed by others, not by what they themselves have done creatively in life.)

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
I liked the part where Balmer says " We call them Slates. Because they don't have a keyboard".

What he meant to say :

We call them Slates because we heard through the rumor mill Apple was calling their ******* iSlate.

DING DING DING!
Oh, and many of the early tablets didnt have keyboards either. Or at least if they did, thy pushed the touchscreen interface of the keyboard.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Anyone find it interesting this HP touchscreen tablet was called a "Slate" PC? Interesting, since Apple has had the iSlate trademark since 2007.. which came to light in the last few weeks.

Seems like M$ is doing a little copycating.

Tablet pc's without foldable keyboards have been called "slates" for a decade. It's the name of the non-convertible form factor.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

It'd be interesting to see photos of some of the people who post here all the time. Wonder how handsome they are? :rolleyes:

(Of course, the kids here are already pretty obvious... they're the ones who think everything is either black or white, with no shades of gray.)

I'd be more than happy to send a pic. PM me anytime, big boy.

LOL.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
This is Microsoft. Get used to disappointment.

"I want to highlight new form factors in what we call Slate PCs." - Lord Ballmer

"What we call?" Seriously?

Translation: "We can't upstage Apple's upcoming product, but at least we can ruin the Slate name for them."

Needs to be repeated. What an obvious ploy. Now all of a sudden these tablets are called "slates". Right :rolleyes:

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

What he meant to say :

via Twitter:
@gruber Would they have called these things "Slate PCs" if MacRumors hadn't published that "iSlate" trademark story?

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

Hmmm, either you've completey misread the comments, or I have. Where are the attacks on Ballmer's looks?

Attacks on him being a shamelessly, profusely sweating megalomaniac? Guilty as charged. But you're confusing hate with entertainment.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Hmmm, either you've completey misread the comments, or I have. Where are the attacks on Ballmer's looks?

Attacks on him being a shamelessly, profusely sweating megalomaniac? Guilty as charged. But you're confusing hate with entertainment.

When you grow up, you'll understand.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
When you grow up, you'll understand.

I look forward to the day when I'm mature enough to not be entertained by a deluded, boorish egomaniac trying his hardest to be charismatic to a likely 5 figure audience. Until then I'm happy to remain chided by the grown ups for finding amusement in little things.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Matthew Arkin: Some of the Natal Team on Video
8:08
DaveLegg: 50% hardware, 50% software
8:09
Matthew Arkin:
It is coming holiday 2010
Stephen Roberts: does that mean summer?
DaveLegg: no Stephen

8:10
Sean Bradford: 2010 is going to be the biggest year for Xbox 360
[Comment From Darren Tebo]
Christmas
[Comment From Sebastian | AKA Sebianoti]
There are many Holidays... What holiday? summer holiday?
Sean Bradford: Holiday Season begins in November...

Jeezus . . LOL

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
This sums it up for me, (from Engadget live blog):

"8:11PM "Thank you very much." And Robbie is gone. And... that's it? Wow. Incredibly boring. Incredibly incredibly boring. Really."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.