Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
And that's all.

More anticlimactic than New Year's Eve 1999.

SJ is probably laughing so hard he's spilling his matcha tea everywhere.

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
Engadget again: 8:11PM "Thank you very much." And Robbie is gone. And... that's it? Wow. Incredibly boring. Incredibly incredibly boring. Really.

The big news of the night remains . . . Central Michigan University wins the GMAC Bowl (is that the "Granddaddy of them all"? Oops, wrong bowl game.), thus ending the MAC's losing streak in bowl games (something like 10,000 games in a row).

I can now exit the keynote happy.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Engadget again: 8:11PM "Thank you very much." And Robbie is gone. And... that's it? Wow. Incredibly boring. Incredibly incredibly boring. Really.

The big news of the night remains . . . Central Michigan University wins the GMAC Bowl (is that the "Granddaddy of them all"? Oops, wrong bowl game.), thus ending the MAC's losing streak in bowl games (something like 10,000 games in a row).

I can now exit the keynote happy.

Amen.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I liked the part where Balmer says " We call them Slates. Because they don't have a keyboard".

What he meant to say :

We call them Slates because we heard through the rumor mill Apple was calling their ******* iSlate.

Your history is exactly backwards.

Tablets without keyboards have been called "slates" since the '90s.

That's why a reporter called the Apple tablet a slate. It's a pretty old term, but obviously a new one to many inexperienced computer users.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It sucks that other companies always beat Apple to a new game... And although Apple's tablet will certainly be better, it still loses the impact of being the first to which everyone else wants to catch up to and emulate...

If Apple was worried about being first, they would have spoken up by now. But it's not Apple's style. they don't mind speaking last.

in fact studies have shown that people remember the first and last of a collection. so being last isn't really bad at all.

Apple needs a device to compete with the netbooks.

true. but a true netbook isn't a full powered laptop shoved into a tiny size. a netbook is for the internet -- email, web browsing, perhaps text/video chatting. that doesn't need necessarily need the Mac OS. We know that the iphone OS can handle video cause it's on the phone. now place the camera in the right location and meld the video support with chatting and done.

and in Apple style, support the ipod, add perhaps an ereader function and the popular and portable games and such from the App store.

it would be a device whose functions are chosen because they fit a tablet form. Rather than ones crippled to fit the tablet. Which is where some of these other tablets could fail.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Be careful - your friend DMann might call you a blasphemer for calling Microsoft's CEO a god.

LagunaSol never hypocritically condemned commenting about a CEO, before doing so.

You, OTOH, self-righteously denounce it, only to commit your typical double-standard act, immediately following.

When you grow up, you'll understand.

Speak for yourself.

Why? You can get biased fanboi comments in realtime here, now.

Speaking of yourself, for once.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Be careful - your friend DMann might call you a blasphemer for calling Microsoft's CEO a god.

God of the Underworld. :)

Why? You can get biased fanboi comments in realtime here, now.

Geez Shaw, your obvious disappointment with Lord Ballmer's manifesto tonight shows in your dulled wit. Take heart, you'll always have Windows market share to crow about. Fortunately you don't need to create exciting or innovative new products when you have a desktop OS hegemony. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Your history is exactly backwards.

Tablets without keyboards have been called "slates" since the '90s.

That's very interesting, because Ballmer said:

"I want to highlight new form factors in what we call Slate PCs."

"New" form factors? "What we call?"

Seems Mr. Ballmer isn't familiar with 90s computing history either.

Microsoft: Inventing Something New (We Think) Since 1975 (TM)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Why Microsoft allows Ballmer to be the company spokesperson defies all logic. Is anyone honestly not embarrassed by this guy? Just because he's the CEO doesn't mean he has to be on the stage. Jobs envy? Probably. Can't the Board overrule him or something and make him sit in the audience with a paper bag over his head?

I miss watching Gates titter like a muppet on a big sofa with Conan O'Brien. At least Gates isn't repellant like Ballmer. The demo failures during that particular event were comedy gold too, particularly O'Brien's reaction to the device failures: "Who's in charge at Microsoft anyway???"

That was classic!

At least BG would address his audience, holding his hands together, fingers touching, above his chest, with that passive look on his face, secretly waiting to run the hell outa there.

Ballmer is repulsive, shockingly so.

Who else would brag about being able to experience a black+white textbook in full colour? The guy is so shamelessly awful it's impossible not to watch. More compelling than a trainwreck imo.

The abyss is the limit, with this guy - he never ceases to amaze.

This is Microsoft. Get used to disappointment.

"I want to highlight new form factors in what we call Slate PCs." - Lord Ballmer

"What we call?" Seriously?

Translation: "We can't upstage Apple's upcoming product, but at least we can ruin the Slate name for them."

Lame, but greatly expected.

Their mimicry has no limits.

You mean about the Great Keynote that never was? MS secret "slate" weapon, etc.?

LOL.

"Me too, Me too!!"

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
[Ballmer photo retracted for excessive hilarity.]

"Sorry y'all, this is all I gotz. Hey, did I just hear someone unwrap a Snickers bar?"

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
God of the Underworld. :)

Hades would have a field day with him, down there. :)

Geez Shaw, your obvious disappointment with Lord Ballmer's manifesto tonight shows in your dulled wit. Take heart, you'll always have Windows market share to crow about. Fortunately you don't need to create exciting or innovative new products when you have a desktop OS hegemony. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
With nothin' to crow about, he's sure to find a way. :p

That's very interesting, because Ballmer said:

"I want to highlight new form factors in what we call Slate PCs."

"New" form factors? "What we call?"

Seems Mr. Ballmer isn't familiar with 90s computing history either.

Microsoft: Inventing Something New (We Think) Since 1975 (TM)

From his mouth, to his own ears...

That arrogant, self-serving thief.

Who knows, he may actually believe the s**t he puts out there.

[Ballmer photo retracted for excessive hilarity.]

"Sorry y'all, this is all I gotz. Hey, did I just hear someone unwrap a Snickers bar?"

steve_ballmer.jpg

"Give it up for me... I'z can smelz it"

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Apple: "iPhone now has 100,000 apps."

Microsoft fanboys: "Big deal, 99,950 of them suck poo!"

Microsoft: "Windows now has 4 million apps."

Microsoft fanboys: "Woooo, that's right, suck it Apple!"

Question: how does Microsoft count Windows apps exactly? It's not like they have a centralized app store (like Apple) where they can count the number of apps they have (like Apple). And does Microsoft really feel so threatened by Apple that they have to one-up their talking points?

And 4 million apps??? I bet the quality is stellar!

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Some teens were very impressed by MSFT's "Surface PC":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NX-DhW5An4

*yawn* what a useless device. Nobody would want such a thing.

Actually, those were very likely, young, paid MS shills, talking it up in a casual way. (a la the W7 party video)

I love how unresponsive the menu drawer was, on such an expensive "Big Ass Table" as that.

Amazing demo - tyeah, I'd pay over $10,000 for a colossal dishwasher, with twice the moving parts of a standard one. :)

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I can visualise them

So many childish attacks on Balmer and his looks.

It'd be interesting to see photos of some of the people who post here all the time. Wonder how handsome they are? :rolleyes:

(Of course, the kids here are already pretty obvious... they're the ones who think everything is either black or white, with no shades of gray. And they define themselves by what they buy that's designed by others, not by what they themselves have done creatively in life.)

Thank you very much, exactly my thoughts. I hope that they will find a job soon or grow up. Let's hope that they don't eat too much biscuits and drink too much Coke.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
This is the image people will remember.

And yes. I know it's happened to Apple too.
Isn't that image not that big of a deal. The PC lost power so it didn't have a proper shutdown, the OS knows this and asks the user if they want to either boot normally or boot into a diagnostic mode. Macs know the same thing (improper shutdown) but don't give you a similar screen (AFAIK).

Apple: "iPhone now has 100,000 apps."

Microsoft fanboys: "Big deal, 99,950 of them suck poo!"

Microsoft: "Windows now has 4 million apps."

Microsoft fanboys: "Woooo, that's right, suck it Apple!"

Question: how does Microsoft count Windows apps exactly? It's not like they have a centralized app store (like Apple) where they can count the number of apps they have (like Apple). And does Microsoft really feel so threatened by Apple that they have to one-up their talking points?

And 4 million apps??? I bet the quality is stellar!

What strikes me from both camps is picking that argument as a means of saying the other side is hypocritical. In reality if your platform is popular you have tons of applications (widgets, games, whatever) for it. That is a good thing.

In the Windows world there are a ton of apps, and yes most of them are crap. The same thing applies to the App Store, just as equally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.