Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
adamjaskie said:
Can I make the scroll ball do a regular "middle click" action? Whatever it is that corrosponds to command-click?
Yes. Those who have tried it have said that the scroll ball does click.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
dsharits said:
Yes. Those who have tried it have said that the scroll ball does click.

To be specific, when your finger is on the ball as you click, then it'll be a middle click :) (There's literally only one button on this mouse. No shittin').

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
Raven VII said:
To be specific, when your finger is on the ball as you click, then it'll be a middle click :) (There's literally only one button on this mouse. No shittin').

yah, i don't like it very much. I'm a "serious" gamer and i need as much performance as i can get. right mouse click is absolutely necessary. :confused: Why, Apple, why...

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
outerspaceapple said:
yah, i don't like it very much. I'm a "serious" gamer and i need as much performance as i can get. right mouse click is absolutely necessary. :confused: Why, Apple, why...

Maybe because apple knows Macs suck for gaming... Not that I'm happy about that :mad:

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Well, the mighty mouse has arrived!!

Really great piece of hardware. It does all what it is supposed to do. The speaker that is inside is for the mini trackball and the side buttons. With the mouse unplugged, there is no sound when the ball rolls and the side buttons are pressed.

As for gaming, this mouse would not appropriate as there is no way of holding left click and then pressing right click.

Squeezing the mouse is pretty cool to invoke expose. I have found that you don't actually have to press both sides of the mouse - the left side with your thumb does the job.

So, I think i will be using this mouse for the Net and general computing. For games, the MX900 will come out.

aussie_geek

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'll just wait until Logitech makes a proper mouse with scrollball.
This left click override is garbage.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Can someone with a Mighty Mouse measure the cord for me please? I'd like to know if I can plug it into my PowerBook (USB on the left, but I'm right handed) and use it comfortably.

AppleMatt

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
My first impressions

Sorry, I haven't read all of this thread, but I've had my Mighty Mouse for a day and I thought I'd pen my impressions.

Installation: for some reason after I installed the software and was playing around with the new Preference Pane and exposé I lost the ability to click anything - with the mouse or trackpad! After another restart everything was fine.

Left and right clicking has been superb - just as natural as my logitech 4-button job. It seems my left click finger lifts off the 'button' automatically when I right click, rather than sitting lazily on the shell, so maybe I am lucky.

The scroll ball is very smooth, like my MacMiceBT wheel, except without the BT lag. And perfectly formed. Almost sensual, but I digress. The sound feedback is very helpful (if your room is quiet enough!) Horizontal scrolling doesn't feel terribly natural but I guess I'll get used to that; I suspect it is better than some sort of rocking wheel.

The squeeze buttons are a bit of a squidge - there's not enough tactile feedback. But I suppose the visual feedback of exposé (or whatever you fancy) will help me get used to this.

Much as I love dashboard, I remapped the scroll ball click to exposé desktop. However, you can't drag a file, then clear the desktop using this setting. There is only one clicking mechanism inside so it can't detect the ball click if you've already got your finger down on a left click. Also I find my right clicking finger naturally sits on the shell - I have to lift that off to ball click.

The cable is too short for anything but the most ordinary use!

Overall, I'm very happy. I ordered in the UK (edu) and got it 36 hours later!

L

Lau

AppleMatt said:
Can someone with a Mighty Mouse measure the cord for me please? I'd like to know if I can plug it into my PowerBook (USB on the left, but I'm right handed) and use it comfortably.

Yes, I'd like to know this as well. Has anyone else who's right handed used it with a 12" PowerBook with the USB ports on the left?

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
AppleMatt said:

AppleMatt

29" or about 74 cm.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
My first impressions after 10 minutes of using it are that the mouse works flawlessly - although I am still adjusting to using the side buttons. However, the packaging and the mouse itself just seems a little cheap, and certainly not worth $49. I would use my Microsoft Intellimouse if the cord wasn't so long.

Did anyone else notice that the picture of the Mighty Mouse in System Prefs gives the appearance that the Apple logo is backlight? That would have been a nice touch for the actual mouse.

Attachments

• SysPrefsMightyMouse.jpg
    SysPrefsMightyMouse.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 548

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
My first impression? I totally DIG the scroll ball. With my hand positioned so that my thumb is on the side button, my index finger has a ton of travel on the scroll ball allowing me to move great distances up or down or sideways or... You get the picture :D

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Thanks for the review, very informative which is nice considering all I had was pictures to run off of. I am really hoping for a fixed rt-click function and some wireless, specifically bluetooth, that would rock my world!

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
aussie_geek said:
Squeezing the mouse is pretty cool to invoke expose. I have found that you don't actually have to press both sides of the mouse - the left side with your thumb does the job.
Yeah, it's nice that you don't have to think about the right side and just kick it off with your thumb. I actually programmed my side buttons to invoke Dashboard and the scroll ball click kicks off Dictionary :p I'm not sure I'll get used to using the side buttons too frequently so I figured Dashboard was perfect. As for Dictionary, I can never remember what the key combo is to invoke it. Now I just have to click :D

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Sounds like an okay mouse. If I didn't purchase my $80 Logitech MX1000, I'd buy this. But, while the Mighty Mouse is a cool mouse, the MX1000 may be the greatest mouse ever made.

Ever.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
im getting one unless its real hard for me to use, even if i switch between this mouse and my "normal" apple one. This could end up being a flop and apple could go it the normal 2 click/ muitbutton mouse or back to the 1 click. And this coudl eb apples only 2 "click" mouse.

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
adamjaskie said:
I know it can "click". I am wondering if I can use it to open links in a new tab in Safari, like I use the middle button on my current mouse, instead of being forced to use it to launch dashboard/exposé/application of my choice.

Yes, you can do this. The middle button can be programmed to act as "Button 3", which replaces command-click functions.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
jacg said:
Left and right clicking has been superb - just as natural as my logitech 4-button job. It seems my left click finger lifts off the 'button' automatically when I right click, rather than sitting lazily on the shell, so maybe I am lucky.

[snip]

Overall, I'm very happy. I ordered in the UK (edu) and got it 36 hours later!
I think a lot of people lift off when clicking the other button, (left or right), I know I do. That would mean that the sensors will work fine for the majority of people, but I may be wrong on that.

I am pleased that the UK has stock of them already. If we don't get one at work over the weekend, I think I'll have to take a trip down to the apple franchise on one of my days off, (most probably Tuesday). I must have a go with one to see how comfortable they actually are.

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
adamjaskie said:
Cool. That was my only real concern about this, other than that it isn't Bluetooth. But I have a feeling that will change quite soon.

I usually have my finger on my scroll wheel, unless I take it off to click, so the lift-to-right-click isn't an issue for me.

I thought that too, but then when i went to go try it out I found that the scroll nipple was too small for my finger to rest on all the time. :confused: Why, Apple, why...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.