Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by natey
No hardware announcements? Think Secret has got to be kidding.

Once again, remember what happened last year - after MWSF, the following weeks of January and February saw quite a few huge announcements and releases every Tuesday. Not everything Apple has ready to go needs to be announced at MWSF.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
No New CPUs

Originally posted by Macrumors
no new CPU announcements (either desktop or laptop) during the event
I am surprised at how little reaction there has been to this line.

When I purchased by dual 1 Gig two years ago, it was announced shortly (within about 2 weeks) after MWSF, so it is not unheard of for Apple to prepare a new PowerMac line but not announce it at MWSF.

My guess: Apple will announce the new PowerMac line as part of the 20th anniversary of the Mac's announcement. Anyone know if Apple will have any events for that day?

drewm

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2003
ME TOO!!!

Originally posted by Pandora
And what about new Displays? I don't care about iPods and G5s...I just want NEW DISPLAYS.

I'm dying for more screen!!

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
Re: MacOSRumors: Big iPod?

Originally posted by tny
MacOSRumors is claiming that there will be another "iPod" -

I wonder if the big iPod (assuming the rumor has any value) will be some kind of DVR device?

Arn, how is MacOSRumors record on rumors?

Honestly, just ignore MacOSRumors

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I would doubt any rumors of no cpu upgrades, we know faster G5's are coming and we know what is killing imac sales the slow G4 and a lousey video chip and a monitor you cant keep. I doubt this rumor very much except the ipod thing. Smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that all new imacs, emacs and a cube!:D are coming!

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
ipodipodipod

good grief.
I think the ipod is the most overrated gadget in the world.

OK, so I have a 15gig ipod, where does it get me? when I'm underway I can't really navigate the music, it' way too much and crowded. so great, I have a mobile HD - but it's not all that mobile, is it? I mean - without the propiatary firewirecable, It's quite useless as HD, and who would have one of these cables laying around? Noone. most people have a real FW calbe, but certainly noone has an iPod cable, unless he's got a 3g iPod.
what a blizz.
OK, now mini iPods - they wouldn't even keep half of my music, so i'd have to keep moving music about. tataaaa, need another cable for that, since the first cable goes as power cable to the dock in my stereo.
Talking about stereo. it looks real good on top of it. to bad you cant remote controll the song picking. all you could do fastforward and reverse on the cable, or on one of the 3rd party Rc's
Not all to great is it? Makes more sense to put an old iBook in place and RC it via my mobile phone.

Damn, they should better move on to a headless iMac for a change. Make something you can work with, rather than just play with.

ajkst1

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
Mini iPods

I'm in for at least 3-5 mini iPods. Valentine's day...girlfriend, March...brother, April...Dad, May...me (already have a 10 GB), June....sister. Everybody gets one! Personally the 2 GB would be great for most people. I have a 10 GB and I've only used 2-3 GB at the most. That's still 400-500 songs, more than most people would listen to at any given time. I have over 2,000 songs on my computer but I really only listen to about 300-400 of them. A 2 GB would be perfect for most people who have constantly changing music tastes, the 4 GB would be better for people who want change but also want to keep the same music on their iPod. Pricing sounds about right, $100 for the 2 GB, $199 (possibly) for the 4 GB, $300 for the 10GB, $400 for the 20 GB, $500 for the 40 GB. It makes the 10-40 GB a better deal but the 2 and 4 GBs would sell better as impulse buys. Apple would dominate the MP3 player market, no one would stand a chance. Ah, the wonders of competition in a free market....

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Once again, remember what happened last year - after MWSF, the following weeks of January and February saw quite a few huge announcements and releases every Tuesday. Not everything Apple has ready to go needs to be announced at MWSF.

Last year, at Macworld SF, Apple announced the PowerBook 12" and 17". I don't see why everyone is forgetting this.

And, ThinkSecret was wrong in its Macworld SF 2003 prediction. In fact, last year, ThinkSecret said:

"Laptops and Power Macs will also not get a makeover, sources confirm. Most speculation was that iBooks and PowerBooks would not see upgrades, as they were just upgraded this past November. However, Apple is expected to update the Power Mac line, like the iMacs, in late January or early February."

You can read this here.

I see no reason not to be hopeful about new hardware, given the track record from the last three years.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by arn
iPods are sold out this xmas... and Apple expected this.

They apparently sold as many ipods as they could make.

arn

Exactly.. iTunes Gift Certificates are #1 and the iPod is #2 on the Apple Store. Just think about it if this faceplate for the iPod rumor is true. You all know how kids go crazy over faceplates when it comes to customizing their cellphones. Yes, this a stray from the conservative line but it is exactly what is needed to bring more attention to the product.

\m/

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Wow, this is a great time to be an Apple addict. I just joined the scene 6 months ago, and everything is starting to really hot up. I can't remember when there was so much interest in apple - OSX, iPods, G5 and Powerbook (regarded as probably the best notebook even in the PC world :p).

I think Jobs will want to keep the iPod going. However, he knows from past experience that the current interest levels aren't gonna hold much longer - everyone who wants one has one, and Apple needs to keep selling.

I think price cuts right across the iPod range will be announced, and then hopefully the new 2gb and 4gb iPods.
The idea will be that you go into the store for a 4gb one, and then end up buying a 10gb one because you can nearly triple your capacity for 50% of the price, or something. I will be buying an iPod for around £100 (~$180 if you include VAT sales tax) with my leftover xmas cash and then hopefully they will announce a range of iTMS international expansions...

I think that Apple will therefore just keep the form factor exactly the same, and also the software the same. They might however stop it being used as a mobile HD and instead 'lock' it to music only.

Also, if Apple introduce a new product, a headless iMac would be perfect. Seriously, it would be the best thing Apple has ever done. Aim for an eMac style price point for it without the monitor, and then make sure that most people walk out the store with a nice profit making LCD monitor from Apple.

The only problem with this bloody keynote is that I'm bored completely with christmas now! I think Christmas has been rearranged for most people on this board.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Originally posted by Photorun
Thinksecret is usually pretty right... usually. I would be disappointed if they DIDN'T announce faster G5s though, even it meant "coming in a couple weeks" (though no few months like at WWDC).

HEhehehahahahahaha!

Thinksecert, usually, and right in the same breath? Ya right.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Re: Stockholders. Get ready to short AAPL

Originally posted by ipiloot
If they don't introduce new processors at Macworld, the stock price will possibly head down. Because new processors are highly anticipated.
Besides, it's down already. If that happens, I'll buy for all my money. Last chance like that was after the big slump of 2000/2001, when the price eventually hit 14.

Well - I don't see any influence on the stocks. But on the other hand if 19,5 breaks next support is 18,5. So we will see.

Attachments

• chart-1.gif
    chart-1.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,437

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
How can there not be speed-bumped G5's at MWSF? Steve said "3ghz by next [fall]". If they don't bump them up now they'll have to squeeze in either one big update or two less than six months apart.

Mini-iPods. Cool idea. The opening price is low enogh to make me consider one instaed of getting my Minidisc player repaired, except it still can't record! But more important, given the measley battery power of a full size iPod, how long do you think the playtime would be on a Mini-iPod (with porportionally sized mini-battery)? 4 hrs? :rolleyes:

New iLife App: Really curious about this one. What's left to do? Maybe a telephony/answering machine app. Perhaps the recently trademarked iWrite? With Appleworks (eventually) going pro, there's still all those people who just need a simple Word Processor. We don't all do spreadsheets and presentations. But writing letters is much more universal, and TextEdit is made to be a text editor.

ccuilla

Cancelled
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by pgwalsh
People that can afford it, will buy it. People that can't will buy something else.

And maybe return them after the holidays to buy the new Apple iPod Jr.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Re: ipodipodipod

Originally posted by visor
good grief.
I think the ipod is the most overrated gadget in the world...

OK, now mini iPods - they wouldn't even keep half of my music, so i'd have to keep moving music about. tataaaa, need another cable for that, since the first cable goes as power cable to the dock in my stereo.

Damn, they should better move on to a headless iMac for a change. Make something you can work with, rather than just play with.

Wow. Thank god you don't work for apple, the Ipod may be overrated but it is selling well with its large profit margin Your personal rant is irrelevant.

Headless imac? Brilliant, let them return to an area of the market they are already losing! The Imac isn’t selling as well as it should, they know this, and they can not keep upping screen size and selling it headless insipidly removes the whole “apple experience”

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by iAdam
I would love the annoucment of mini/cheaper iPods, but i'm just afraid of the them looking cheesey with colors and stripes. I think the cell phones with switchable faceplats look cheep.

O, Ye of little faith. It's Apple we're talkin' about here. Weeeeeee, be chipper!

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Originally posted by SeaFox
How can there not be speed-bumped G5's at MWSF? Steve said "3ghz by next [fall]". If they don't bump them up now they'll have to squeeze in either one big update or two less than six months apart.

We don't want any more paper luanches!

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Re: I'm guessing this is the approximate size and shape of the new iPod

That thing seems too square and not ergonomically correctly. In other words it wouldn't feel as comfortable in your hand as the iPod. But the article says it has a 14-hour removable battery.. which sounds nice, but I don't think I've gone that long with out habitually recharging my iPod or any other device for that matter unless I was too tired and forgot.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Originally posted by iAdam
I would love the annoucment of mini/cheaper iPods, but i'm just afraid of the them looking cheesey with colors and stripes. I think the cell phones with switchable faceplats look cheep.

You think a 100 dollar ipod will look cheap? Who would have thought that?

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Just thinking out loud here. Some handy features that could help differentiate higher ends iPods from mini iPods would be

a) a digital optical out. Connecting to a home stereo via mini plug is a joke.

b) built in mic

and

c) a *very well engineered* retractable firewire cable behind a little door.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by pgwalsh
Totally agree. MWSF should be before the eoy and be an outlook for the following year. Announce new products a month before the holidays.. Never understood why they do that.....

Apple - "We'll announce and release all are great new products after the biggest purchasing time of the year." Steve (aka Mr. Burns) - "We'll make them lust for the new products long enough to make them mad. Excellent."

Um, no.

One key killer for electronics companies is a massive "holiday rush" and then a "post-holiday lull".

Apple announces new gotta-have-it products right at the start of the post-holiday lull. This alleviates the lull and evens out the cyclical demand curve.

It seems to work for Apple. They do much better than most at avoiding a huge reduction in profit margins around the holidays (most companies have a surge in net profits, but per-unit profits are lowered by additional channel costs and temporary production costs, etc).

IMHO, the key problem with this strategy is that, from a consumer POV, this guy just got his first Mac, and got the best one out there, for Christmas, then, a week later, he's got the "low-end" model ... Experienced Apple customers know to avoid buying Apple hardware for the holidays; newbies get trapped and stung.

Channel management, though, goes a long way towards keeping Apple profitable four quarters of the year ...

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Like I said earlier: just add a few stripes, or some different colors instead of the white, and voila:

Attachments

• new_ipod.jpg
    new_ipod.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,323

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by arn
iPods are sold out this xmas... and Apple expected this.

They apparently sold as many ipods as they could make.

arn

Exactly. Which isn't "good", of course (quite a few shoppers went home empty handed), but it is much better that that production capacity and sales demand went towards $300-500 products instead of a $100 low-profit product.

So, now, introducing the $100 low-profit (but profits nonetheless) product in January will keep Apple at full production without having to expand their inventory, unlike the vast majority of CE companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.