Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

100225-cult_of_mac_mba_mockup.jpg

Cult of Mac's mockup of next-generation MacBook Air
Cult of Mac weighs in with claims from a new source regarding the new MacBook Air that has been receiving considerable attention in the days leading up to Apple's media event on Wednesday. The new report corroborates many of the claims coming from other sources, but also offers a few new details on what we might expect in the new machine.

- Battery life rumored to be 8-10 hours, up from 5 in the current MacBook Air.
- Thinner and lighter form factor with fewer curves.
- Two USB ports, SD card slot, straight-style MagSafe, Mini DisplayPort.
- Base model with 2 GB of RAM, but upgradeable. SSD also upgradeable.
- NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics.
- Unconfirmed CPU claims of 2.1 GHz and 2.4 GHz options, but no claim of a specific processor family is offered.
- Suggestion of $999 for 11.6-inch model and $1100 for the 13.3-inch model, but Cult of Mac believes something like $1100/$1400 to be more likely.

Article Link: More Claimed MacBook Air Specs: 8-10 Hour Battery, NVIDIA 320M, Upgradeable RAM and SSD

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
And a black framed glass screen like the MBP. Looks nice. I bet what Jobs shows us on Wednesday looks different.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Looks pretty awesome! Having 2 different sizes will cater to a much larger audience, especially those which want a netbook-sized machine but without the slow cpus and poor quality that they provide. Looking forward to see what results!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Someone chopped the top of a 13" MBP and made it impossible to protect any hardware inside the palm rest after physical deformation.

It it's a nice PS job though.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Upgradable RAM?

I know the last three MBAs took a lot of heat for having RAM directly on the motherboard... but I'd be pleasantly surprised if there were an option to upgrade the RAM in this new model. You'd think that would be a feature you'd have to sacrifice for the thinness.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
That is one sexy mock up. I'm currently playing with the idea of buying a new Apple laptop, but I'm not yet sure if I would use it enough to justify the cost since I've already bought a new iMac and iPad this year. But I am very interested in this new MacBook Air. Tons of speed isn't too important since I don't do any major video editing or 3D rendering. At most I would be running Corel Painter. What really is appealing about this rumored device is the near instant wake times, and the added speed of mundane taskes achieved through an SSD drive. But it needs to be large - at least 128GB. The portability and weight are also very appealing, as well as a near 10 hour battery life.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Looks like we'll see an affordable base model with a tiny SSD and 2GB ram. The more powerful models will cost a fortune!

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I want my 11"!

That sounded weird.

To be honest though I would be buying this as a complete secondary computer. Ie. no music, videos, etc. on it. Just temporary documents and such. And of course extreme portability is a must. As well as low cost.

So in reality I should be shopping for a netbook. :eek:

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I think upgradable RAM would be a BTO option and would still be soldered on the motherboard rather than user replaceable sticks due to space contraints.

I'm wondering about the SDD sizes. Hopefully at least 128GB for the base models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.