Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
So tempting if they release one with 128+gb SSD.

However I want my next laptop to have the 460m GPU in it.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
I'll buy one only if I can get a matte screen and 8GB RAM.

Otherwise my MacBook will get 8GB next week.

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
What really is appealing about this rumored device is the near instant wake times, and the added speed of mundane taskes achieved through an SSD drive. But it needs to be large - at least 128GB

Be prepared to pay shedloads then. Apple's alleged proprietary connection ≠ a cheap option. There will be no buying the base model and upgrading to a 3rd party SSD, and they're expensive enough as it is.

WYSIWYG.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Be prepared to pay shedloads then. Apple's alleged proprietary connection ≠ a cheap option. There will be no buying the base model and upgrading to a 3rd party SSD, and they're expensive enough as it is.

WYSIWYG.

Yeah, I think most people's price estimates have been way out of line. With an SSD and other bells and whistles to make the device comparable to a low end MacBook Pro will put this device in the $1300 - $2000 range.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I think upgradable RAM would be a BTO option and would still be soldered on the motherboard rather than user replaceable sticks due to space contraints.

I'm wondering about the SDD sizes. Hopefully at least 128GB for the base models.

I agree, i think it’s ram upgradable in terms of selecting models, not upgrading your own RAM. The same goes for SSDs. 2GB/128GB for $1299 and 4GB/256GB for $1799 likely.

They could offer 2GB/64GB for $1099.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Believe it or not, I can totally live without the SD Card slot and the additional USB port. I cannot wait to see what Wednesday has in store for us. I'll be devastated if no new MBAs are mentioned.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I cannot wait to see what Wednesday has in store for us. I'll be devastated if no new MBAs are mentioned.

Don't know about devastated, but the MBA's are way overdue for an update. I also think we'll see the speed bump in the 17 MacBook Pro; probably to an i7.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
If it has 4GB of RAM, 1440x900 screen and 256GB SSD for less than 1500USD then I will buy it. If they offer an 8GB version I will gladly pay 2000USD for it.

I don't really care what CPU is in there frankly since my load average is only about 0.27.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I kinda prefer the old design in hindsight but thats because i'm not a fan of the black bezels. That said, great specs if true in the end.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wonder how many of you who are willing to buy this have iPads as well?

I’m curious if you guys will carry both devices or just MBA?

loesjoel

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
I might just have to pull the trigger after my wedding in May if the 11.6" model hits at $999.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Hmm...this is going to be another fail for the Air if they dont get that price sorted out.

The air may be 'magical' but its price is just laughable. It needs to be HALVED to actually make it worthwhile (especially in Europe where we'll be paying almost another 50% of the price on top!).

I've never been a huge fan of the Air. It just seems that to get the formfactor and weight, they have had to comprimize performance, build quality and basic common sense (why would you ship a laptop with just 1 usb port, and why in this day and age are they not providing 4GB RAM as standard!).

For me, the air would need something more along the lines of the following specs to make it be worthwhile:

• i5 or i7 processor
  • Minimum of 4GB RAM (DDR3)
  • 2-4 USB 3 ports (again, futurerproof your damn hardware like everyone else!)
  • changeable battery
  • upgradable ram
  • upgradable hard drive
  • should ship with something like an option of say 250GB SATA or 64GB SSD (giving you a choice)
  • Maybe an SD/memory card reader? I can see the Air being useful for family vacations and photographers on location.

I can understand the 1st gen air being expensive. Its new, it cost money to research, etc - but subsequent models should be much cheaper (providing there are no huge mind blowing changes, which from what we've seen so far - there are not.).

I'm sure I'm probably going to annoy one or two people with this post, but if the Air is to be taken seriously, it really needs to be considered as a slightly expensive netbook (I'm talking $500-$700) and not an under performing crippled machine that costs more than the MacBook Pro .

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Mockup looks great, but I'm holding off on any new Macs until they have USB3. I know - its probably going to be a long wait :rolleyes:

I really wish they would put it in. I must admit. I have ZERO need for USB3. But in a years time, we'll probably all be using it. You know how fast these things happen, and it seems stupid that Apple wont future proof their devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.