More Details on Jony Ive's Flat iOS 7 Design: Heavier on Black and White

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    9to5Mac shares more details on Jony Ive's redesign for iOS 7, noting that not only will it bring a flatter look to the operating system but also more emphasis on black and white design elements.
    The report walks through a number of specific changes appearing in the current development version of iOS 7, including changes to the lock screen, notifications, and the home screen. The report also describes how the look of some of the default iOS apps has changed:
    Other changes include the addition of panorama home screen wallpapers that pan as the user swipes between screens, subtle animations in the Weather app, and the possibility of FaceTime being moved out of the Phone app into a standalone app for greater visibility.

Apple is expected to show off at least some of iOS 7's changes at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) where the keynote is scheduled for June 10. Today's report indicates that Apple has tested several different design themes for iOS 7 over the past several months and that things may still change before the public release, but it seems reasonable to expect that aspects shown at WWDC will be close to the final shipping version.

Article Link: More Details on Jony Ive's Flat iOS 7 Design: Heavier on Black and White

2. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

3. macrumors 65816

TroyBoy30

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors regular

it sounds Microsoft Windows ;)

7. macrumors regular

L-U-R-C-H

I dunno... I think I'm going to miss the old design... But I don't wanna speak too soon I guess. We'll see!

8. macrumors member

You missed what many will consider the most important part of the article - that Apple is testing a quick toggle area for Wifi, bluetooth, etc!

9. macrumors regular

SmoMo

1 too many

huh, black >and< white ??
    I thought this dude was into minimal and clutter free design?

10. macrumors newbie

Ableton Live Copycat

So basically it will look like Ableton Live. Thats exactly how Ableton Live looks like -- flat with minimal colours.

11. macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Great idea! Put a hardware guy on software! Horrible, no new innovations. What a joke.

12. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

damn i was excited for a flat design but not now :mad:

13. macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

So the code name is either Penguin or Zebra?

Sounds impressive...iOS Penguin.

14. macrumors 6502a

phillipduran

This won't go over well.

Sounds like Apple is following in the footsteps of the Microsoft Office 2013 designers.

Panorama swiping home screen wallpapers?! OMG! Why don't we just call this the new MS-Droid phone. If this stuff is true, Apple is going to get soooo ripped to shreds for just copying the competition.

15. macrumors 65816

Frankied22

That's what I want to know.

16. macrumors member

--

You were all complaining about skeuomorphism now shut up. this will be as flat as it is possible to be

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Maybe they're building up to a 30 year aniversary edition of the Mac OS and unifying the original black and white of the first model across their different OSs :D

19. macrumors 6502

Wouldn't that just be Linux ?

20. macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

If this rumor is true it doesn't matter if it sounds terrible. The only thing that matters is if it looks terrible (although that's always subjective) and/or doesn't work well.

21. macrumors 6502a

22. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

23. macrumors member

*Bracing for the proclamations from people who haven't used iOS 7 that it's the end of App...*

Oh. It has already begun.

24. macrumors member

It's about damn time iOS got a decent homescreen, and most importantly, let's hope a decent notification system. The old one and the new one are really really awful, especially after trying Android's approach.

25. macrumors 6502

5aga

this sounds exciting. At this point almost anything would be an improvement over the staleness we've grown accustomed to