Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Kinda shows its not badly-optimised code (that would still have an issue), but installation-related variables at play.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Kinda shows its not badly-optimised code (that would still have an issue), but installation-related variables at play.

I even have transparency on, still smooth.

Why is it like this? Why can't it have worked like this before?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I even have transparency on, still smooth.

Why is it like this? Why can't it have worked like this before?

I've no idea what the installation-variables are but they clearly exist, may even be a combination of installation- and installation-method as for some a clean install resolves problems, on others (such as mine), updates worked fine.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Reading this thread, it has become clear that I had better make sure I only post about how great Yosemite is, and all posts need to be in pristine English. Talk about blinkered viewpoints.

Seismic

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
The problem is retina. Mid 2014 MBA & rMBP, both running Yosemite. MBA is lag free, rMBP sluggish as hell.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I feel for those with Yosemite issues but it runs fabulously on my 2011 MBP. I had issues with Mavericks but not anymore.

I am completely happy with this OS!!

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Yosemite works horribly bad. Everything lags, system is slow, and on top of that, it's ungodly ugly and eye-straining. I hate it, Mavericks is much better, although ML is more stable.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Just did a fresh install last night, and now it's smooth.

After you reinstalled all your third party applications the UI is still smooth?

So out of curiosity, what was the system performance like when you first got your MacBook Pro?

I keep reading people with the same hardware (even on retina) having opposing experiences with the UI where one would post their having extreme lag and another posts not seeing any lag.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
After you reinstalled all your third party applications the UI is still smooth?

So out of curiosity, what was the system performance like when you first got your MacBook Pro?

I keep reading people with the same hardware (even on retina) having opposing experiences with the UI where one would post their having extreme lag and another posts not seeing any lag.

All I need to do is reinstall OneDrive and I'll have all of the.... three or so third party applications. I haven't gotten around to it. I'm mostly using it to surf the web, to be honest. As for how it was when I first got it, pretty good. I had some stutter when I would open or close windows, sure, but it was never horrible for me. Well, that and Mission Control issues.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What I experienced is app crash, and occasionally slow. Yes, Yosemite on my lowest end Macbook Air 11-inch is slow, though, not slow enough to force me crushing this pc.

I may not recommend anyone still sticking into mac OS X prior to the Yosemite to upgrade. Yosemite is far unstable than windows. From the first month I use Yosemite until now, I experience 3 nuke reinstall, on Yosemite only.

Talking about only the speed, this version does a decent job. But for overall experience, I must say this is a bad memory.

Obviously this is only on my machine. So that doesn't mean Yosemite means nothing. In fact I really like its continuity feature. This is quite handy.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
On 16 GB? That's just silly.

OS X will tend to store more in RAM if a lot of the RAM is free, but it will limit that as it becomes close to being full. That's why my 2 GB MacBook Air can last a while on 2 GB while your Mac with 16 GB goes past 2 GB used immediately on a clean login.

As simonsi mentioned, as long as Memory Pressure in Activity Monitor is green, even if the RAM appears to be full, it's not a problem.

It has never been my experience that Mac OS is good with memory management. Memory is rarely freed and I find I need to reboot after a while. I have 16GB on a Retina Pro 15.

Does not matter what Activity Monitor says...

Its a systemic issue.

I can't imagine how bad it is on devices without SSD's and lower memory configurations.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It has never been my experience that Mac OS is good with memory management. Memory is rarely freed and I find I need to reboot after a while. I have 16GB on a Retina Pro 15.
Are you looking at free memory or wired/active/inactive/used?

As the old adage goes, free memory is wasted memory. I find OS X to have excellent memory management. While there are apps that contain memory leaks the OS does a great job imo at managing the resources. This isn't like windows where low free memory could cause issues. Too much free ram only means that you have too much of that resource and the OS isn't using it.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Reading this thread, it has become clear that I had better make sure I only post about how great Yosemite is, and all posts need to be in pristine English. Talk about blinkered viewpoints.

That's strange, because I got a different impression. The view from where I am sitting was that there was considerable ranting and stamping of feet.

Surely everyone must know by now that not everybodies installation of Yosemite is broken, just a vocal minority. I take away the lesson that YMMV.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Does not matter what Activity Monitor says...

Its a systemic issue.

I can't imagine how bad it is on devices without SSD's and lower memory configurations.

Windows define free memory as memory not used or contain no valuable data, and will be assigned to any new application which request memory.

I don't know how mac define free memory. Maybe they have completely different idea to manage memory. To understand This I may need to borrow a book discussing Unix operating system.

But according to my experience, Mac OS X Yosemite may have some weird memory management issues. I say may because my mac has only 4gb memory. And I can see many times cursor becomes a beach ball.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Cool off !

There was no need for that.

Also no need for attacking this poster for his use of English, seems your asking for a verbal rant. How about moving on and sticking to the point of the forum. Likes and dislikes of computer issues, not personal insults. Read up on the MacRumors acceptable behavior. It's not about attacking people but about adding courteous informative facts with an occasional stated opinion.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Thank you for the benefit of your out of context hindsight three days later. I wasn't the one who needed to "cool off".

The thread has been cleaned up. The post it was referencing has been removed presumably by the mods. I'm not the one unaware of the forum rules.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
That's strange, because I got a different impression. The view from where I am sitting was that there was considerable ranting and stamping of feet.

Surely everyone must know by now that not everybodies installation of Yosemite is broken, just a vocal minority. I take away the lesson that YMMV.
We are not talk here about broken yosemite installations and first time mac users.This is about yosemite bad coding in newer macs and of course some of us ranting our workflow ****ed up.

Last edited:

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Sadly I am in agreement !

To make a more general observation (not necessarily about Yosemite) as a member since 2008. When I first started searching this forum to help with my transition from using only PC's as I added a Mac it was a more friendly place.

Now days the place is infested with new blood looking to pounce on any and every statement which does not embody and conform to their ideals.

Yes, there are still a few old timers here who display good manners, avoid derogatory remarks, and are very helpful in giving solutions to forum members. However, the scales are tipping very fast toward radical bitching attacks between members. Might be better to invest the $25 donation to MacRumors next year on the new Apple OS Manual by O'Reilly and forgo all this forum bickering, arguing, personal attacking and focus on answers to computer issues.

This post is in no way directed to the sincere helpful people who day after day offer their knowledge and opinions to the forum members.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
To make a more general observation (not necessarily about Yosemite) as a member since 2008. When I first started searching this forum to help with my transition from using only PC's as I added a Mac it was a more friendly place.

Now days the place is infested with new blood looking to pounce on any and every statement which does not embody and conform to their ideals.

Yes, there are still a few old timers here who display good manners, avoid derogatory remarks, and are very helpful in giving solutions to forum members. However, the scales are tipping very fast toward radical bitching attacks between members. Might be better to invest the $25 donation to MacRumors next year on the new Apple OS Manual by O'Reilly and forgo all this forum bickering, arguing, personal attacking and focus on answers to computer issues.

This post is in no way directed to the sincere helpful people who day after day offer their knowledge and opinions to the forum members.

I have heard a really good Chinese slogan. It says nowadays, bad guys are driving away good guys. ( Chinese version contains more meaning) I think this should be the real side of human: chase after the dark side, become powerful, and crush others who dare oppose him.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Windows define free memory as memory not used or contain no valuable data, and will be assigned to any new application which request memory.

I don't know how mac define free memory. Maybe they have completely different idea to manage memory. To understand This I may need to borrow a book discussing Unix operating system.

But according to my experience, Mac OS X Yosemite may have some weird memory management issues. I say may because my mac has only 4gb memory. And I can see many times cursor becomes a beach ball.

How do you know the beachball is caused by the RAM, and not for example a slow HDD?

----------

The thread has been cleaned up. The post it was referencing has been removed presumably by the mods. I'm not the one unaware of the forum rules.

It's still there, as of now.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
How do you know the beachball is caused by the RAM, and not for example a slow HDD?

----------

It's still there, as of now.

My hdd is an ssd. And mac OS X will become slow, since it is an operating system.

I don't have that time to troubleshooting which part is my system choke point, or bottom neck. What I know, is mac hardware is good, but software is not so good.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I have heard a really good Chinese slogan. It says nowadays, bad guys are driving away good guys. ( Chinese version contains more meaning) I think this should be the real side of human: chase after the dark side, become powerful, and crush others who dare oppose him.

Another Chinese saying, "It does not matter if the cat is black or white, only if it can catch mice." Or even a better one concerning the bad mouthing of forum posting. "Old Chinese Proverb say's "Do not remove a fly from the foreheads of others with a hatchet.

Words have power, and using them in a soft manor brings friendship to our forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.