Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I'm just curious what the most data those with unlimited plans have used in a month. I hit about 90GB this month, and wonder if anyone has had more.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Get ready for all the "moral" people to come in and tell you how bad a person you are. Lots of people on their high horses here

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I use MyWi, and I feel that the data plan is unlimited, so a GB on one device equals a GB on the other device. Plus, our phone bill each month is over $200, so it's not exactly like anyone is robbing anyone else.

Has anyone heard of anyone besides me using that much data in a month?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Wow, thats gotta be a record.
How do you use up 90GB of data in a month thru your phone? I know you probably tether but that's still alot.
I dont even use 5GB thru my home internet connection.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Wow, thats gotta be a record.
How do you use up 90GB of data in a month thru your phone? I know you probably tether but that's still alot.
I dont even use 5GB thru my home internet connection.

I'll leave it connected overnight and download some movies over iTunes (got a big gift card for XMAS), watch Netflix and Hulu on the computer, Skype and FaceTime with other friends.

Just checked and on 23 of 31 days this cycle I am at 96205.94 MB of Unlimited

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'll leave it connected overnight and download some movies over iTunes (got a big gift card for XMAS), watch Netflix and Hulu on the computer, Skype and FaceTime with other friends.

Just checked and on 23 of 31 days this cycle I am at 96205.94 MB of Unlimited

Wow, that is nuts:D
How much do you think you will hit by the end of the billing cycle?
Doesnt your phone get very hot with tethering all day and night?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Wow, that is nuts:D
How much do you think you will hit by the end of the billing cycle?

Well, the going rate on that would be an $880 surcharge if he were on a capped plan.

But he's not so I don't think he'll get charged. This guy is the best proof yet that the "there's an invisible 5 GB cap!" people were making stuff up.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Well, the going rate on that would be an $880 surcharge if he were on a capped plan.

But he's not so I don't think he'll get charged. This guy is the best proof yet that the "there's an invisible 5 GB cap!" people were making stuff up.

Yes, I know he wont get charged.
Was just wondering how many GB's he will end up hitting by the time his month is over.
Gotta love unlimited data plans, Im never getting rid of mine:)

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'm just curious what the most data those with unlimited plans have used in a month. I hit about 90GB this month, and wonder if anyone has had more.
This month I hit 15 GB with a lot of Netflix streaming on the iPhone hooked up to a TV. My highest month previously was around 3 GB when I used a lot of video chatting in June when I first got the iPhone 4 (combination of Fring, Knocking, and eventually Facetime over 3G)

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I'm sure he'll pop up on the radar soon enough with that usage. Once he does, they may cap him or ask for an explanation of his usage. Just because the OP "feels" that he is unlimited does not mean that his contract doesn't state that he is not allowed to tether. Will he get caught? Who knows, but when he does he will have some splaining to do Lucy.......

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Get ready for all the "moral" people to come in and tell you how bad a person you are. Lots of people on their high horses here

Well, you brought up "moral" first, I don't think anyone had said that. I don't see this as "immoral", you're on an unlimited plan and paying for it, however you're screwing anyone with an AT&T data capable device who lives around you, and don't even get me started on how you can pull in 90 GB of data on 3G. The time you'll save alone getting broadband should make it worth it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm sure he'll pop up on the radar soon enough with that usage. Once he does, they may cap him or ask for an explanation of his usage. Just because the OP "feels" that he is unlimited does not mean that his contract doesn't state that he is not allowed to tether. Will he get caught? Who knows, but when he does he will have some splaining to do Lucy.......

oops, forgot about that one. Again, not passing a moral judgment here, but I'm sure he'll be female dogging about something when they send him a letter.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
This is the first time I've had over 7GB of data usage, so if I show up on a radar, I'm sure they will just assume it is a one time thing and perhaps observe me the next couple of months. I did call AT&T once I realized I was that high on the data usage. I said I was concerned with the so-called 5GB Cap on unlimited plans, and worried I would have surcharges for using so much data. AFter a couple minutes, the lady got back on the phone and said, your plan is unlimited so there will not be any overage charges or fees. I then asked if this phone call was recorded, she said yes, so I got her name and time of call and said thank you.

Regarding the comment made about me robbing my neighbors...Exactly how am I robbing neighbors?

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
oops, forgot about that one. Again, not passing a moral judgment here, but I'm sure he'll be female dogging about something when they send him a letter.

This is the first time I've used anywhere near this much data, and it is not something I plan on doing again, so if I get a letter telling me that I must go to a capped plan, or warning me that if I go that high again, they may slap me with fees, I will accept it. End of story, I was originally just curious if I may hold some sort of record with this much.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Regarding the comment made about me robbing my neighbors...Exactly how am I robbing neighbors?

They all (likely) pay for mobile data and for broadband.

You only pay for one of those things. When you use 90 GB their at&t service slows down.

So you save money and they get slower internet.

That's called "you win, they lose" and some people might shorthand that into the word "robbing."

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
This is the first time I've had over 7GB of data usage, so if I show up on a radar, I'm sure they will just assume it is a one time thing and perhaps observe me the next couple of months. I did call AT&T once I realized I was that high on the data usage. I said I was concerned with the so-called 5GB Cap on unlimited plans, and worried I would have surcharges for using so much data. AFter a couple minutes, the lady got back on the phone and said, your plan is unlimited so there will not be any overage charges or fees. I then asked if this phone call was recorded, she said yes, so I got her name and time of call and said thank you.

You are tying up bandwidth that is not unlimited on the network with your activity thus slowing or keeping others from being able to use data. Do you think that AT&T don't know how much bandwidth the typical iPhone uses? Even at 5Gb you are using a lot of data. At that point they really could start to monitor your usage and then determine how to bill you from there. Not sure if I believe that call at all to be honest. Either you got someone that had no clue or it just didn't happen. Giving you the benefit that you are truthful it won't hold much water what that person told you when they decide to bill you for the ultra high usage. If you put up a fight they might just drop you as a user and ask you to pay out your contract and find a new carrier. Not sure if this has ever happened but it certainly could.

Like I said, I hope you don't get caught but that usage is going to throw a red flag, especially in the billing department.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Grats OP, I think that's awesome. The largest I've seen was 20 gigs in a month and they did get a letter. Not an angry letter but a letter saying that AT&T has a lot of wifi hot spots and you should try and use those. AT&T gave consumers unlimited data and those consumers are using it. They can't physically take your phone and check if you're using MyWi. I wouldn't worry OP bit. The phrase "scare tactics" comes to mind when people are on here passing judgment and trying to freak you out to stop what youre doing. Please update us though on the final amount and if you ever get any letters.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
You are tying up bandwidth that is not unlimited on the network with your activity thus slowing or keeping others from being able to use data. Do you think that AT&T don't know how much bandwidth the typical iPhone uses? Even at 5Gb you are using a lot of data. At that point they really could start to monitor your usage and then determine how to bill you from there. Not sure if I believe that call at all to be honest. Either you got someone that had no clue or it just didn't happen. Giving you the benefit that you are truthful it won't hold much water what that person told you when they decide to bill you for the ultra high usage. If you put up a fight they might just drop you as a user and ask you to pay out your contract and find a new carrier. Not sure if this has ever happened but it certainly could.

Like I said, I hope you don't get caught but that usage is going to throw a red flag, especially in the billing department.

Just called 611 again and got the same answer. You are on the unlimited data plan, so we cannot charge you any fees or surcharges for excessive data usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.