Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkadrum

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Although the design is nice.
But I haven't wore a watch for over 8 years, and I'm not planning to wear one again. I think I'm content with just looking at my iphone; weather, time, maps --everything needed are there on my iphone.
The reason why I stop wearing a watch, because I keep constantly scratching the surface from hitting it against the wall, desk, etc.
I will pass on this or any other watches.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Although the design is nice.
But I haven't wore a watch for over 8 years, and I'm not planning to wear one again. I think I'm content with just looking at my iphone; weather, time, maps --everything needed are there on my iphone.
The reason why I stop wearing a watch, because I keep constantly scratching the surface from hitting it against the wall, desk, etc.
I will pass on this or any other watches.

High quality watch display crystals don't scratch. If I can make it through a combat deployment without scratching my Tissot, I'm pretty sure a company like Apple or Google can manage to make a quality watch as well.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
That actually looks pretty nice, much better than the clunky looking galaxy gears :D glad I don't have small wrists!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I ended up just watching the live YouTube feed. No worries. :)

I was more disappointing they spent a lot of time talking about the ideas behind the watch design, more so than talking about the stuff the watch could do (per se). We all noticed how they dodged the price and battery life question.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I was more disappointing they spent a lot of time talking about the ideas behind the watch design, more so than talking about the stuff the watch could do (per se). We all noticed how they dodged the price and battery life question.

Got to hold out on some information to keep people interested. It's not like it's coming out in a month or two.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Another graphic UI gif that shows why this is going to be the wearable to beat.

android_wear_-_clock_app_design_ramotion.gif

hand.gif

acee5__wearpocket3_thumbnail.gif

droid_watch.gif

More details also emerge on the Moto360
1. Splash resistant (not water resistant)
2. Embedded mic and speaker (for Google Now use, not music playing apparently)
3. Inductive charging, likely Qi certification only.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The Moto 360 lead designer in the Hangout got asked if the watch was waterproof and he replied that it was "water resistant".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HpY8O5Zer78#t=1220

Also, all those animations you posted up are mockups...

Mockups using the Wear SDK emulator. Which means that is how the program would look on the watch.

And while he said water resistant in the video, it's likely he meant splash resistant. The watch will have a mic and speaker, which means it won't be water resistant.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
And while he said water resistant in the video, it's likely he meant splash resistant. The watch will have a mic and speaker, which means it won't be water resistant.

Right, Ok. The lead designer got it wrong and you are right because you can't think of how they would get a speaker and a mic on a water resistant watch. You do know that water-proof speakers and mic are readily available in small form factors dont you?

That was a MASSIVE error on the part of Jim Wicks and also renders Moto 360 a steaming turd of a product. I wouldnt touch a non water resistant watch in this day and age.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Right, Ok. The lead designer got it wrong and you are right because you can't think of how they would get a speaker and a mic on a water resistant watch. You do know that water-proof speakers and mic are readily available in small form factors dont you?

That was a MASSIVE error on the part of Jim Wicks and also renders Moto 360 a steaming turd of a product. I wouldnt touch a non water resistant watch in this day and age.

Honestly, don't care. Not worth my time arguing about it. Have a great day.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Another graphic UI gif that shows why this is going to be the wearable to beat.

More details also emerge on the Moto360
1. Splash resistant (not water resistant)
2. Embedded mic and speaker (for Google Now use, not music playing apparently)
3. Inductive charging, likely Qi certification only.

Look good, though they're missing the black bar at the bottom. Still planning on sitting out the smart watch until there is one like the moto 360 but with the features of the gear (camera, speakerphone, TV remote, mp3 player, hear rate monitor, ect.), a front facing camera, week long battery life, thinner than what moto showed, and is compatible with both iOS and android. I'm probably in for a long wait, but at least it looks like we are on the right track.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Moto 360 on Jimmy Fallon

According to Android Authority, the Moto 360 can be seen on the wrist of Joshua Topolsky, from The Verge. I know there's been pics of the prototype that's popped up that had people saying it looked big, but on Joshua's wrist it looks to be a good size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.