Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Very nice, although I can't say I'm not VERY disappointed in the lack of sapphire screen. This is a very big deal IMO as watches take a ton of abuse in daily life. The only other thing I'm afraid of is how thick it will be, in pics and videos it looks decent enough but I will have to see one in store before I decide.

Also undecided between steel and black, although I'm leaning towards steel if it looks quality, once again will have to wait until I fondle it in person.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Agreed. And I've yet to see a smart watch that is actually smart, or have the battery life needed to be viable.

Provide me a real world example of needing a watch that lasts a long time on a single charge. I'm genuinely curious as it would seem to be easy enough to simply let the watch charge overnight. I wouldn't wear that thing while I sleep.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Provide me a real world example of needing a watch that lasts a long time on a single charge. I'm genuinely curious as it would seem to be easy enough to simply let the watch charge overnight. I wouldn't wear that thing while I sleep.

Camping in Yellowstone. I used my watch to meet up with the group I was with at predetermined points.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Camping in Yellowstone. I used my watch to meet up with the group I was with at predetermined points.

Thanks.

Additional perspectives are always a good thing. :)

If the charger is a usb plug, you could have the freedom of using a battery bank to charge while away from outlets.

IMO, all mobile devices chargers should work this way.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Urge to buy, rising...

vlcsnap-2012-06-28-13h07m30s160.png

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

You know how many times I've charged my watch in the last 5-6 years?

Zero

How many times has the battery needed to be changed?

Zero

And it's survived Iraq, and Afghanistan.

A watch that I can't keep on my wrist is not a very good watch as far as I am concerned.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You know how many times I've charged my watch in the last 5-6 years?

Zero

How many times has the battery needed to be changed?

Zero

And it's survived Iraq, and Afghanistan.

A watch that I can't keep on my wrist is not a very good watch as far as I am concerned.

I understand. But there are times when you don't have said watch on your wrist. Namely when you're sleeping. And generally speaking, people do that every night.

Obviously long battery life is necessary and desired. Just pointing out that a 2-3 day battery life doesn't make the device an automatic failure as there are plenty of people who would be able to charge it on a regular basis.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I think like current 'phones' redefined what a phone is, the upcoming 'watches' will change how we define watches. They will polarise opinion and traditionalists will always claim about battery life and whatnot not being up to their multi-year standard.

Given these new 'watches' are doing a lot more than displaying time, and are only the beginning, I'm excited to see where they go. I suspect in a year or two, they will win over more people as they develop.

Personally, the Moto 360 caught my interest along with the Withings Activite although they are wildly different. Of course, Apple should be doing good things in this space soon, too.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I understand. But there are times when you don't have said watch on your wrist. Namely when you're sleeping. And generally speaking, people do that every night.

I won't speak for others, but while I'm sleeping is probably the most important time (ugh - pun?) that I wear my watch.

It allows me to check the time whenever I wake during the night. (My aged eyes can't see clocks across the room.)

This is one of the reasons that I almost need two smartwatches. One to wear, one to recharge :)

If any of the smartwatch makers had brains, they'd include a quick change battery method, so you never had to take the darned thing off; just swap batteries on the fly. Or some way to do an instant charge, perhaps a massive inductor that will also cause my spine to cease working - lol.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So anyone else hear that this is delayed until December? Just a couple of websites which mention this so I have no idea if it's the case. It's still going to be revealed tomorrow though so I guess we will see.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So anyone else hear that this is delayed until December? Just a couple of websites which mention this so I have no idea if it's the case. It's still going to be revealed tomorrow though so I guess we will see.

Epic fail if this is the case.

I fully expect all other smartwatches to be blown away come Tuesday. Those that aren't released will be relegated even further into obscurity.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I won't speak for others, but while I'm sleeping is probably the most important time (ugh - pun?) that I wear my watch.

It allows me to check the time whenever I wake during the night. (My aged eyes can't see clocks across the room.)

This is one of the reasons that I almost need two smartwatches. One to wear, one to recharge :)

If any of the smartwatch makers had brains, they'd include a quick change battery method, so you never had to take the darned thing off; just swap batteries on the fly. Or some way to do an instant charge, perhaps a massive inductor that will also cause my spine to cease working - lol.

Why not buy a digital clock that projects the time in big numbers on the ceiling? I have mine so the time is displayed on the ceiling directly over my head, so when I wake up, I look up and know what time it is.

----------

Epic fail if this is the case.

I fully expect all other smartwatches to be blown away come Tuesday. Those that aren't released will be relegated even further into obscurity.
Quite happy with my Martian Notifier. Any of these Android Wear watches have lost their appeal to me. Not only does my watch look like a nice upscale watch (with a 2 year watch battery), but it works with iOS and Android. And most importantly, I can see the watch in direct sunlight!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Why not buy a digital clock that projects the time in big numbers on the ceiling? I have mine so the time is displayed on the ceiling directly over my head, so when I wake up, I look up and know what time it is.

I sleep face down.:eek:

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

What clock do you have that does that?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Moto 360

The price starts at $249. Unfortunately, the Wall Street Journal review video leaked online and was quickly pulled but saved by others. I just watched it, though.

Here's the review, if anyone wanted to see it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f8e_1409882534

Last edited:

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Haha. It seems like it. Are you buying a 360 today? They will be available for purchase at 12PM Eastern time.

No, I'm happy with my Timex. I just need my watch to tell me the time. :) I'm just excited to see what all these companies are coming up with. I'm especially excited for 360 because (a) customization and (b) Moto remembered us females.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
It looks pretty good. Too bad they didn't release it earlier. With so many interested, they could have killed it. We'll see? Apple's iWatch is coming, too...

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I have that too, BEST THING EVER.

Also the Moto 360 is quite disappointing, I feel.

The reviews I've read seem to indicate a 12 hour battery life, which is unacceptable. And no real fitness tracking other than an inaccurate pedometer.

It's an interesting first try but doubt I'll go for it.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Also the Moto 360 is quite disappointing, I feel.

The reviews I've read seem to indicate a 12 hour battery life, which is unacceptable. And no real fitness tracking other than an inaccurate pedometer.

It's an interesting first try but doubt I'll go for it.

12 hours is pretty bad!:( I guess that I didn't realize that it didn't include the fitness tracking (important to me) stuff. According to AC, it'seems got a heart rate sensor.Yeah, an earlier release would have been beneficial.

Unlike Samsung, they probably won't release an update very soon...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.