Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Z3 compact. Without a shadow of doubt. It's running the Snapdragon 801 and benchmarks almost double the G on antutu.
Whilst I think the new G is decent, I can't help but feel there's more value in an 801-specced device from last year for a similar price, especially at the 16gb/2gb price point.

Personally I'd be going for a new Find 7a or Moto X 2014 ahead of this. There's plenty of excellent condition M8 and Z3c phones being offloaded too. Even the whiffy (company more so than the phone) One plus One is appealing.

The whole mid-range price point is muddied with all manner of specced devices depending on who you go with.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Whilst I think the new G is decent, I can't help but feel there's more value in an 801-specced device from last year for a similar price, especially at the 16gb/2gb price point.

Personally I'd be going for a new Find 7a or Moto X 2014 ahead of this. There's plenty of excellent condition M8 and Z3c phones being offloaded too. Even the whiffy (company more so than the phone) One plus One is appealing.

The whole mid-range price point is muddied with all manner of specced devices depending on who you go with.

I agree there really is more value in an 801 device

the real huge shame in android is that those basically better 801 devices will likely not have software support for as long as the G. Which gives the G a higher weighting for me. Sony has been pretty good about patching though, the x2014 also doesnt have the abnormal processor the x2013 does and should get reasonable support

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I agree there really is more value in an 801 device

the real huge shame in android is that those basically better 801 devices will likely not have software support for as long as the G. Which gives the G a higher weighting for me. Sony has been pretty good about patching though, the x2014 also doesnt have the abnormal processor the x2013 does and should get reasonable support
Yep, can't disagree with the support point. And I do like the IP7 and Moto Maker options.

I suppose the sell is more about colourful covers and dropping it in water rather than power and performance (although it's perfectly adequate from reviews I've seen).

Us geeks might opt for something else but we're not the target market.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I have personally used a G and even an E, for most people they are more than sufficient and capable devices. And with the new G now having a 2 gig ram option that solves my only complaint. The camera is also the same sensor as the nexus 6 with some supposed improvements so that is good new for most people

Reactions: spriter

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Is anyone else concerned about the battery life on the Moto X Pure?
It comes with a 3000 mAh battery with 5.7 screen and Quad HD.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is anyone else concerned about the battery life on the Moto X Pure?
It comes with a 3000 mAh battery with 5.7 screen and Quad HD.

Yeah I'm unsure why the Play model got a bigger battery ? You would have thought it the other way round. How optimised is the Snapdragon 808? It better be better than the 810

It'll be interesting to see battery results between it and the S6e+ (based on rumours that it too will be sporting a 3,000mah) so we can see what different skins and chipset (snapdragon v exynos) impact battery.

Still completely baffles me the play model gets a 3,600 with a less powerful processor by comparison though ...

Big issue this side of the Atlantic however looks to be pricing of the Style (we only have pure editions here). $399 is looking like it'll be €500-550 here based on the Play edition retailing at £270 stg or €400

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah I'm unsure why the Play model got a bigger battery ? You would have thought it the other way round. How optimised is the Snapdragon 808? It better be better than the 810

It'll be interesting to see battery results between it and the S6e+ (based on rumours that it too will be sporting a 3,000mah) so we can see what different skins and chipset (snapdragon v exynos) impact battery.

Still completely baffles me the play model gets a 3,600 with a less powerful processor by comparison though ...

Big issue this side of the Atlantic however looks to be pricing of the Style (we only have pure editions here). $399 is looking like it'll be €500-550 here based on the Play edition retailing at £270 stg or €400
Don't know why they didn't include the bigger battery??? Makes no sense to me.
Looking at the Moto x Style next to the Nexus 6...... they are almost the same!

http://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/#481;1

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Don't know why they didn't include the bigger battery??? Makes no sense to me.
Looking at the Moto x Style next to the Nexus 6...... they are almost the same!

http://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/#481;1

Yeah height is almost same but Moto X style is narrower (width) than the iPhone 6 plus, so it will feel much smaller in hand than the nexus 6 which feels so big because it's so wide.

The nexus 6 is 3220mAh so 220 difference. It's going to depend on that 808 chipset but if it gets similar performance to Nexus 6 - 10% less for 10% smaller battery - then we could guesstimate instead of 5hr SOT were looking at 4-4.5 SOT (hopefully).

I would get around that with the Moto X 2014 with its 2,300 mAh - so hopefully with 700mAh more it will get around same... Well hoping so anyway.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah height is almost same but Moto X style is narrower (width) than the iPhone 6 plus, so it will feel much smaller in hand than the nexus 6 which feels so big because it's so wide.

The nexus 6 is 3220mAh so 220 difference. It's going to depend on that 808 chipset but if it gets similar performance to Nexus 6 - 10% less for 10% smaller battery - then we could guesstimate instead of 5hr SOT were looking at 4-4.5 SOT (hopefully).

I would get around that with the Moto X 2014 with its 2,300 mAh - so hopefully with 700mAh more it will get around same... Well hoping so anyway.
I hope the battery life is better than my Nexus 6 anyway. It won't last a full day for me.
It almost seems like the Moto Style is a rebranded nexus 6 with slightly less battery installed.

Hopefully the 21MP camera is a big improvement over the N6. Hopefully Moto didn't just add MP for the sake of MP.
Then no OIS is a big oversight in my book. Lets see if they are relying on some kind of software processing gimmick like HTC was doing with M8 and M9.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I hope the battery life is better than my Nexus 6 anyway. It won't last a full day for me.
It almost seems like the Moto Style is a rebranded nexus 6 with slightly less battery installed.

Hopefully the 21MP camera is a big improvement over the N6. Hopefully Moto didn't just add MP for the sake of MP.
Then no OIS is a big oversight in my book. Lets see if they are relying on some kind of software processing gimmick like HTC was doing with M8 and M9.
Yeah, my N6 usually drains the battery by the end of the day.

Apart from the battery and the woefully slow startup of the camera I loved it so much I was keen to go with a moto flagship rather than a 6s. Bit gutted they didn't go USB-C or Qi charging on the Style. I loathe micro USB.

I know they're trying to keep costs down but with the G and the Play I thought they could go all out with a flagship but there doesn't seem much of a reason for picking the Style over the Play (if you're in an area getting the Play that is).

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Is there any word on the Moto X Style/Pure camera yet?

Haven't seen any early reviews other than the ones on announcement day.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Is there any word on the Moto X Style/Pure camera yet?

Haven't seen any early reviews other than the ones on announcement day.

Apparently really good, best only by the s6. If you search a little earlier in this thread you'll find the links.

Time will tell when real reviews come out. I'm not planning on getting one but I'm curious too about real world user feedback and official reviews too.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Apparently really good, best only by the s6. If you search a little earlier in this thread you'll find the links.

Time will tell when real reviews come out. I'm not planning on getting one but I'm curious too about real world user feedback and official reviews too.

Ahh OK.

Tbh I'm going to wait until user reviews now - they are just so much more reflective of how a camera actually is in real life.

Reactions: epicrayban

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I would love to get the Moto G 2015 but it does not seem like that much of an upgrade from my Moto G 2013. Still at that price it falls in with how much I am willing to spend on a phone. I will see how my old 2013 model handles once it gets 5.1 + security patch from Motorola. My old phone is just a little sluggish on Lollipop compared to Kit Kat.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
The new Moto X Pure Edition lands Sept. 3

This is the third-generation Moto X that we recently took a look at in New York City. It sports a 5.7-inch display, will launch with Android 5.1.1 and is powered by a Snapdragon 808 processor. Motorola's upped the camera resolution to 21 megapixels and promises that this one will be able to compete with anything else available.

And like previous versions of the phone, you'll be able to customize its look through the Moto Maker website, with various leather, wood and plastic backs available in a number of colors.

On Sep 3, you'll see what real love is like. Choose #MotoX for a more powerful connection. http://t.co/cOPJDcFntm pic.twitter.com/uWlzsyE2RE
— Motorola Mobility (@Motorola) August 12, 2015
The phone is has a smattering of custom software features from Motorola but otherwise is a stock device. It'll work on every major U.S. carrier, Motorola says, but you won't actually be able to buy it through the carrier system. Price starts at $399.[\quote]

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-style-pure-edition-lands-sept-3

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The new Moto X Pure Edition lands Sept. 3

I'll be buying one as soon as they are released here :) or may try and get one from USA as I assume Europe release will be after and significantly higher at €549 (closer to $600)...

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'll be buying one as soon as they are released here :) or may try and get one from USA as I assume Europe release will be after and significantly higher at €549 (closer to $600)...
I am probably getting one as well. My concerns are the camera and battery and thickness. Looking at the pictures over at AC it looks like a thick phone. But it looks like a great phone based on what I have seen so far!

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I'll probably pick a Moto X Pure edition up myself. Originally wanted the OnePlus Two but don't want to deal with their stupid invite system.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Ill get the Pure Edition if I end up not liking the Note 5 but the pricing is so tempting not to have a backup phone.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
With the Note 5 and iPhone 6s upcoming and me having the Nexus 6 and Moto X 2014 (which flies on 5.1) I may pass on the Pure.

We'll see. :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus will be almost twice as expensive as the Moto X Pure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.