Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don;'t think it's too large at all, I do think though it's wayyyy too thick.
I would say it is too large to be their only flagship. The really should've also offered a follow-up to the 2013 Moto X with a 4.7", man that Moto X was super comfortable to hold and use.

Reactions: cuzo

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I would say it is too large to be their only flagship. The really should've also offered a follow-up to the 2013 Moto X with a 4.7", man that Moto X was super comfortable to hold and use.

I'm on the same page. They completely abandoned the concepts on the 2013 model. Had they intro'ed a 5" model with all the same features, it would be a much more attractive product.

You'd think these companies would learn that upping the size is ZERO shelter against the iPhone. Even less with there being an iPhone 6 and 6+, and then there is the Note 5 to deal with as a competitor. Screen size is not the answer.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Did anyone see if they had a notification light?
No OIS for the camera? Why Moto why?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I presume with Active Display notifications it likely doesn't have an LED notification light.
No OIS for the camera? I thought they said they were going all in for the camera for the new models? Leaving out OIS is quite an oversight.

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No OIS for the camera? I thought they said they were going all in for the camera for the new models? Leaving out OIS is quite an oversight.

Depends. If they have a decent software stabilisation and fast aperture support then it may not be a major deal. After all there isn't a huge difference between iPhone 6 & 6 plus photo wise despite one having OIS and one not. It's definitely a plus to have it and the impact of not having it will likely be most felt in 'low light' shots. A sore point for most smartphones. I'm confident I'll get some good shots with it ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Depends. If they have a decent software stabilisation and fast aperture support then it may not be a major deal. After all there isn't a huge difference between iPhone 6 & 6 plus photo wise despite one having OIS and one not. It's definitely a plus to have it and the impact of not having it will likely be most felt in 'low light' shots. A sore point for most smartphones. I'm confident I'll get some good shots with it ;)
I am sure YOU will get some good shots with it. Not sure about the rest of us.
Can't wait to get my hands on the Moto Pure and the Note 5 and do some side by side comparisons.

Reactions: MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Yup, agreed. And while MRU is correct in that it could still be a good performer with proper software, Moto doesn't have a track record to instill confidence that will be the case, IMO. Definitely a 'wait and see' situation, for sure.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
All the video reviews seem to echo the same 'i cant believe the phone only costs this much' vibe

The only criticism is Btekts review, where they point out its no longer the super cheap option it once was.

The Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 for example has
5.5" 1080p screen
13mp camera
16gb with MicroSD card support
Snapdragon 615

Costs £125

http://www.trustedreviews.com/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-review

So compared to something like that the G no longer represents the value it once was ... Especially as the 16gb costs a good £60-70 more than that.

However I highly suspect that Vodafone are subsidising the pricing of the Smart Ultra 6 themselves even though it's PAYG. It's also obviously locked to that carrier - so there are definitely caveats to the cheap price ....

Last edited:
Reactions: gotluck

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The only criticism is Btekts review, where they point out its no longer the super cheap option it once was.

The Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 for example has
5.5" 1080p screen
13mp camera
16gb with MicroSD card support
Snapdragon 615

Costs £125

http://www.trustedreviews.com/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-review

So compared to something like that the G no longer represents the value it once was ... Especially as the 16gb costs a good £60-70 more than that.

However I highly suspect that Vodafone are subsidising the pricing of the Smart Ultra 6 themselves even though it's PAYG. It's also obviously locked to that carrier - so there are definitely caveats to the cheap price ....

Yes that is very true

A similar example would be the verizon prepaid 2015 moto e (all verizon lte phones are gsm unlocked because of a fcc agreement regarding LTE in the US) selling for $35-$45 while the true unlocked version is just over $100 if im not mistaken.

However, I dont think the G's software and 'smoothness' will be matched by any of the alcatel one touch 3, zenphone, the vodaphone you listed, etc..

I do wish they went with the 615 over the 410 on the moto G, then complaints about the value would be hushed IMO

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

zOne31

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
Got my Moto G today. Really enjoying it. May end up keeping it instead of returning it within the 14 days as originally planned.

I just wish you could double tap the display to turn it on.

Sick colors. I would have gotten it with a white front and prob a different accent but nice!

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Turns out that Motorola removed band 12 LTE from the GSM model of the 2015 Moto G (CDMA model still supports it, probably because of US Cellular). Probably at the request of T-Mobile, as the Moto G doesn't currently support VoLTE. Disappointing, though.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Picked up the moto g from best buy today. So far I'm really enjoying it. I'll stick with my iPhone as my primary device and probably keep this as my work device. Nice to have a current Android device to play with as well.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
Which has better performance the moto g 3rd gen or z3 compact? One would expect the moto g battery to be similar to the z3 right? they have both 2 gb ram 720 display and almot same battery

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Which has better performance the moto g 3rd gen or z3 compact? One would expect the moto g battery to be similar to the z3 right? they have both 2 gb ram 720 display and almot same battery
Z3 compact. Without a shadow of doubt. It's running the Snapdragon 801 and benchmarks almost double the G on antutu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.