Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
If you could actually customize your smartphone much in the same way you can customize a pc, or a Mac that would be genius! This phone is going to be interesting!

There's just no way that level of customization could be done with a phone. We're talking about devices that are heavily optimized in order to make them as small and light as possible while also maintaining good battery. Every component has to be carefully integrated into the design.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
There's just no way that level of customization could be done with a phone. We're talking about devices that are heavily optimized in order to make them as small and light as possible while also maintaining good battery. Every component has to be carefully integrated into the design.

I agree. They may shock us, but that just sounds like it would be too many parts for a phone company to have on hand. Plus the time it would take to configure all of these different customization options. Someone earlier is the thread mentioned a "debit card" style of customization, and that sounds like the most logical thing.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
New ad for the Moto X by Motorola, a Google company

Looks like all is ready for Google to take Motorola to the next level. I wonder to what degree they will allow you to customize the phone. Could the "XI" that the man and woman are forming mean that we will see something the 11th of July?

"The advertisement plays up the "built in the US" angle but also claims that the Moto X will be "the first smartphone you can design yourself.""

[...]

Judging by this major advertising push — the ad will appear in tomorrow's editions of The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, and The Wall Street Journal — we probably won't have to wait too long to find out more about Motorola's mystery phone. It's also the first time we're seeing Motorola's colorful new logo, which we exclusively revealed last week."

Source: The Verge

Moto_X_ad.png

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
People are overthinking the "designed by you" tagline. All it means is it is designed by USA residents working at Motorola hence the "you" trying to turn it into a marketing slogan.

Anyways, it is most probably a skinned device though. Does the Razr HD run official 4.2.2 from Moto yet? If not, i am not sure if this will be such a big deal too, the only "great" thing being sold for $400 considering the rumored midrange specs.

In other words, this is got nothing on a nexus 4 apart from possible better battery life and still worse update cycle. Might as well spend a little more and get a google edition phone or the next nexus instead.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm gonna guess and say it's going to be similar to what Microsoft did with the Zune HD years ago and allowed people the ability to customize the outer shell.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Motorola really needs to step it up. There are rumors of a 720p screen and such. Not flagship material

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
People are overthinking the "designed by you" tagline. All it means is it is designed by USA residents working at Motorola hence the "you" trying to turn it into a marketing slogan.

Anyways, it is most probably a skinned device though. Does the Razr HD run official 4.2.2 from Moto yet? If not, i am not sure if this will be such a big deal too, the only "great" thing being sold for $400 considering the rumored midrange specs.

In other words, this is got nothing on a nexus 4 apart from possible better battery life and still worse update cycle. Might as well spend a little more and get a google edition phone or the next nexus instead.

I don't think you could be more wrong...it actually says, "the first smartphone you can design yourself" which is way different than your attempted quote.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
And it looks like our suspicions are confirmed. Supposedly sources at ABC News have confirmed the following:

Through a website, buyers will be able to select from a palette of different colors. One color can be used for the back case and another can be selected for the trim of the phone. Users will also be able to engrave a name or message on the back cover as well as upload a personal photo through the site to be used as the wallpaper on the phone's screen, according to people familiar with the rollout.

Full article where this info was obtained can be read here.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It appears customisation is colour and engraving...... :rolleyes:

Hope there's more than just that.

We've heard few details about Motorola's upcoming flagship smartphone since the firm's CEO teased the device at D11, but a full-page advertisement in several of the country's top newspapers today hinted at customizability, which ABC News has now confirmed. According to an article on the broadcaster's website, the device will be available in different colors, with an optional engraving. And, since it's due to be manufactured in Texas, the customized device will reach American consumers within a few days of an order.

Customers will be able to select colors for both the back panel and the smartphone's side trim. Additionally, you'll be prompted to upload a photo that'll be used as the device's default wallpaper. Like traditional handsets, Moto X will also be available in retail stores, according to ABC's sources, though you'll need to order online if you want a non-standard configuration. We're still waiting on specification details, pricing and availability, but if today's ads are any indication, we can expect a formal launch soon.

Update: Wednesday is turning out to be a good day for Moto X leaks. Following news of customizable colors, we've just come upon a snapshot that purports to show off three of these options: teal, red and fushia. You can take a peek after the break, and we have a feeling these might be just the first of many colorful leaks to come.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There's green too. Not sure I'm digging the design tbh. If all this is, is pick your color and engraving I don't see what the big deal is.

Gotta say though I did chuckle a bit when reading this on the Verge since they were the ones hyping this as some major thing the other day. I will LAMO if it really does turn out to be just pick a color, wallpaper and engrave if you want. :D

Moto-X-Coques-Couleur.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This pretty much exactly what I expected. What makes me laugh is how they're touting 'your photo as wallpaper' as a design feature. Are people that stupid (or does Motorola think we're that stupid) that they don't realize they can use any picture/photo as wallpaper on their own?

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Exactly what I'm worried about.

I wouldn't be concerned. Although I'm remiss for racing along and not grabbing the link, I read today where it's expected to be available in the UK and other countries within about 6 months or less of its US debut. Think positive :)

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
This pretty much exactly what I expected. What makes me laugh is how they're touting 'your photo as wallpaper' as a design feature. Are people that stupid (or does Motorola think we're that stupid) that they don't realize they can use any picture/photo as wallpaper on their own?

I can't believe they'd waste the grand unveiling of the first phone by "Motorola - A Google Company" on such a cheap shot. They'd sure be putting a big ol' dent in what has the potential of becoming a very strong brand.

But who knows... I'm not going to get my hopes up :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bet the only other thing you can customise is the shipping/billing address on the website when ordering ;) lol.... J/k

But yeah I'm sure storage size will be configurable, but again this is not the revolution or even evolution we were expecting.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Everyone knows 3.5 is the perfect screen size. Steve said so, he did testing! :)

Well actually, 3.5 inch IS the perfect screen for one handed operation.

But that doesn't mean its the perfect size for a mobile phone for everyone.

----------

I guess there is no hope for a physical landscape slider keyboard option.

It is not 2007 anymore.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Very underwhelmed. A midrange Motorola phone with some colour options and a resale price devaluation option (engraving). Yawwwwn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.