Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Rumors said 10 mpx camera and 48 hour battery life worry-free, so it must have a 3300 battery or so, just like a Maxx.

I don't see them releasing a phone with such hype with just that specs. Remember, this is supposed to be their flagship device, not mid range.

I disagree. Most of rumors and leaks I've read to this point show it as solidly midrange, spec wise (720p, 8 MP camera, 2,000-2,200 mAh battery). The big deal with this device is supposedly a terrific 'user experience', which I'm fine with, if it holds true. Just look at the iPhone, light on specs but still very smooth experience.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
As the poster above said, it is rumored to be a mid range phone. The person who said $600 of contract is way off if the rumors are true. That is a top of the line off contract price. Maybe $400-$450

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Rumors said 10 mpx camera and 48 hour battery life worry-free, so it must have a 3300 battery or so, just like a Maxx.

I don't see them releasing a phone with such hype with just that specs. Remember, this is supposed to be their flagship device, not mid range.

I disagree. Most of rumors and leaks I've read to this point show it as solidly midrange, spec wise (720p, 8 MP camera, 2,000-2,200 mAh battery). The big deal with this device is supposedly a terrific 'user experience', which I'm fine with, if it holds true. Just look at the iPhone, light on specs but still very smooth experience.

This is going to be a flagship phone, but it won't likely be marketed based on specs. The marketing will focus on the new things it brings to the user, such as contextual awareness, always-listening mode, and customization options, and it will focus on the fact that it is made in Texas. (Forget about Made in the USA. I hope it says Made in Texas on the box!) The first time most people will hear about the Moto X is after the $500 Million marketing campaign starts. That is much more money than Apple and Samsung spend combined to market new phones. Most consumers won't be disappointed because it has only a dual-core processor because they don't care.

Edit: To be clear, I'm saying that we will see it as a midrange phone because of it's specs, but I don't believe that it will be marketed to or perceived by the vast majority of consumers as such. Considering the money going into the campaign, I think it will be marketed and maybe even priced as a flagship.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I tend to agree but hope you're wrong. There's got to be something beyond the customization of front/rear panels to make this device worthwhile, else 'Googarola' is IMO, wasting our time.

My concerns..

Google reportedly wasn't happy with whatever Moto already had in the pipeline to use as a Moto X device, yet the leaked specs/images of the the Droid Ultra, Ultra Mini and Ultra Maxx seem more impressive in almost every regard compared to the rumored X device. What exactly was so terrible about these other devices that led Google towards this X device which quite frankly is pretty underwelming? And in what way does Google think this device is better than the Ultra devices? And why would anyone choose this over a better spec'd One, S4 or upcoming Optimus G2?

I haven't read every leak/rumor about all of these devices, so forgive me if I'm mistaken with my assumptions but, am I missing something?
I hope a lot of my predictions are wrong too. But unfortunately we have to stop expecting mind-blowing products every month and start being a little more realistic.

$600 off contract for dual core and 720p !!! :eek: nah would never be that price with those specs...
It is, after all, a prediction ;)

Rumors have pointed to a lot of things. But a 3300 mAh battery is unrealistic in that tiny phone pictured earlier. Plus multiple reports have this pegged at a 2100 mAh battery.

As the poster above said, it is rumored to be a mid range phone. The person who said $600 of contract is way off if the rumors are true. That is a top of the line off contract price. Maybe $400-$450
Yes, it is Motorola's flagship. But who define's flagship? Well, the person making it. Motorola may not be defining flagship by specs. They might be defining flagship by user experience, which is something that has already been thrown around in relation to the Moto X. So the off contract price in my prediction is in relation to Motorola seeing this as their flagship phone with mid-range specs. And for that reason alone, they can easily price this at $600 off contract. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong. But you're prediction of $400 off contract is the unrealistic one, my friend.

And by the way, like you said, if rumors are try it will be $600 off contract because multiple rumors have pointed to this price.

This is going to be a flagship phone, but it won't likely be marketed based on specs. The marketing will focus on the new things it brings to the user, such as contextual awareness, always-listening mode, and customization options, and it will focus on the fact that it is made in Texas. (Forget about Made in the USA. I hope it says Made in Texas on the box!) The first time most people will hear about the Moto X is after the $500 Million marketing campaign starts. That is much more money than Apple and Samsung spend combined to market new phones. Most consumers won't be disappointed because it has only a dual-core processor because they don't care.

Edit: To be clear, I'm saying that we will see it as a midrange phone because of it's specs, but I don't believe that it will be marketed to or perceived by the vast majority of consumers as such. Considering the money going into the campaign, I think it will be marketed and maybe even priced as a flagship.
So true!

Mid range in the eyes of die hard android fanboys that only care about specs. Flagship in the eyes of the average consumer looking for an unbeatable user experience. For this reason, they will price it comparably to other flagships.

Like I said earlier, we need to look at who is defining "flagship" and what that word means to the manufacturer. People here keep making the assumption that flagship is only a quad-core CPU, 2GB RAM, and a 1080p display with no correlation to use experience. And that is a problem in my mind. Flagship should be based on user experience, not meaningless numbers. Look at the iPhone. Specs wise, the numbers suck. But the user experience is arguably one of the best. And I think this is what Motorola is aiming for both in marketing and in price.

Fandroid98

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
Exactly.

I hope a lot of my predictions are wrong too. But unfortunately we have to stop expecting mind-blowing products every month and start being a little more realistic.

It is, after all, a prediction ;)

Rumors have pointed to a lot of things. But a 3300 mAh battery is unrealistic in that tiny phone pictured earlier. Plus multiple reports have this pegged at a 2100 mAh battery.

Yes, it is Motorola's flagship. But who define's flagship? Well, the person making it. Motorola may not be defining flagship by specs. They might be defining flagship by user experience, which is something that has already been thrown around in relation to the Moto X. So the off contract price in my prediction is in relation to Motorola seeing this as their flagship phone with mid-range specs. And for that reason alone, they can easily price this at $600 off contract. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong. But you're prediction of $400 off contract is the unrealistic one, my friend.

And by the way, like you said, if rumors are try it will be $600 off contract because multiple rumors have pointed to this price.

So true!

Mid range in the eyes of die hard android fanboys that only care about specs. Flagship in the eyes of the average consumer looking for an unbeatable user experience. For this reason, they will price it comparably to other flagships.

Like I said earlier, we need to look at who is defining "flagship" and what that word means to the manufacturer. People here keep making the assumption that flagship is only a quad-core CPU, 2GB RAM, and a 1080p display with no correlation to use experience. And that is a problem in my mind. Flagship should be based on user experience, not meaningless numbers. Look at the iPhone. Specs wise, the numbers suck. But the user experience is arguably one of the best. And I think this is what Motorola is aiming for both in marketing and in price.

This is what I have been saying- Specs don't mean ****. Look at the iPhone, it has pitiful specs for a $650 phone but yet, the User Experience is phenomenal. Flagship !=specs!
Flagship=Experience.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Here's how I want it: a 720p 4.3-5 inch range non-pentile screen (nicer on battery), a 3000 mah battery inside, and sells for $400 outright.

Throw in completely stock android and we are good to go. I would pick it up ASAP.

And make a higher end expensive model for people who want more if need be.

Also, don't make it US exclusive only. The rest of the world also exists.

----------

This is what I have been saying- Specs don't mean ****. Look at the iPhone, it has pitiful specs for a $650 phone but yet, the User Experience is phenomenal. Flagship !=specs!
Flagship=Experience.

Yes flagships means best experience.

But the iPhone doesn't have pitiful specs. Or are you challenging the posts from people who consistently show how the iPhone 5 smashes other phones in various benchmarks? Also happens with almost each generation of iPhone and ipad apart from mini.

Again, decide if its really pitiful specs or if the benchmarks are simply lies.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Why some say specs do not matter, it is something that cannot be ignored. Releasing a flagship with specs from 2012 and pricing it the same as these top tier phones is silly. While specs may not matter In the iPhone world, it has proven to be important for android phones. They just recently have started to be as fluid as the iPhone and that has a lot to do with specs. IMO a dual core android phone, unless running 100% stock android will lag.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The phone design does look interesting in the pictures but I think until we see it unveiled and what's inside, will dictate whether its successful. Motorola has been silent way too long, and that has caused both Samsung and HTC to pull further ahead (even if HTC is not doing as well financially)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Here's how I want it: a 720p 4.3-5 inch range non-pentile screen (nicer on battery), a 3000 mah battery inside, and sells for $400 outright.

Throw in completely stock android and we are good to go. I would pick it up ASAP.

And make a higher end expensive model for people who want more if need be.

Also, don't make it US exclusive only. The rest of the world also exists.

----------

But the iPhone doesn't have pitiful specs. Or are you challenging the posts from people who consistently show how the iPhone 5 smashes other phones in various benchmarks? Also happens with almost each generation of iPhone and ipad apart from mini.

What does benchmarks have to do with anything?

iPhone specs vs competition

Small screen
Small battery
Small amount of RAM
Low screen PPI (comparatively speaking)
No NFC
No barometer and other sensors
Mono only speaker
Etc

Yet its the most expensive smart phone money can buy. I think is the point the poster was trying to make, not some useless benchmark which is a computer program detecting speed differences as humans can't notice these things in real life.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Specs and performance can be mutually exclusive--that's the point that was being made.

In a straight specs comparison, the iPhone does have subpar specs when compared to the latest Android devices. Dual core vs. quad core (and octocore) CPU, 1 GB vs. 2 GB RAM, 1440 mAh vs. 2300-2600 mAh battery--huge gaps on paper. Yet in real world performance, the gaps (if any) is much smaller.

The point being made is specs are meaningless if the real world performance and user experience is competitive. I don't care what's under the hood if it performs. So while the rumored specs aren't blowing us away, let's wait and see what real world use is like.

I'm personally very skeptical as Android, while improving, still doesn't have a great history of efficiency--have needed top notch specs to produce a good user experience. Here's hoping Moto has figured out something new.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

The Motorola Maxx was a small device and yet had a huge 3000 battery or so.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Why some say specs do not matter, it is something that cannot be ignored. Releasing a flagship with specs from 2012 and pricing it the same as these top tier phones is silly. While specs may not matter In the iPhone world, it has proven to be important for android phones. They just recently have started to be as fluid as the iPhone and that has a lot to do with specs. IMO a dual core android phone, unless running 100% stock android will lag.

Specs don't matter as much for an iPhone because Apple prices it based on user experience, app support, and manufacturer support. Motorola might believe the Moto X offers the best Android user experience and thus could price a phone with only decent specs at $200 off contract.

The Motorola Maxx was a small device and yet had a huge 3000 battery or so.

The Moto X will not have a 3000 mAh battery. If you are expecting that, then expect to be disappointed. Multiple rumors have pegged it at 2000-2100.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
From Android Authority

I was recently in touch with a friend who works for one of the four major US carriers, who had their paws on the X Phone for a while. Nothing groundbreaking came of it, which got me thinking about what the X Phone really is. The good news is, much of the recent rumors about specs are legitimate. Here’s the quick rundown the hot-button topics, including some new tidbits:

What matters:

-The Camera is good. Not HTC One good, but very capable.
-Battery life is great: 4 hours on, 90 minutes screen time, still at 68%.
-Saying “Okay, Google Now” opens it up for search. This is the “always on” feature.
-There is a MotoID account, like a Samsung or HTC would have. You can use your Google info to sign in. No need to create a special profile.
-The test software was Android 4.2.2
-Typical Motorola build quality, meaning really nice and sturdy.

What doesn’t matter:

-4.4” Screen, 720p, 320dpi
-Battery size is around 2,000mAh, though no official word yet. (We think 2,100mAh is likely)
-The model tested came with 16GB storage, and 11.9 available.
-10MP camera

http://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-x-phone-specs-mean-nothing-242398/

I think the price will make or break the phone personally, even if these specs aren't 100% accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.