Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

Your picture had nearly 20 hours on the phone without charging. Surely you must know that the active display and the touchless control takes some battery in standby...

But hey, all the reviews are wrong and this guy's historically proven bias against the Moto X is surely the one to trust, right?

What app are you using to get that battery icon?

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
What app are you using to get that battery icon?

GravityBox, an Xposed Module. Basically requires the phone to be rooted.

Also, something else funny about WilliamBateman's post...he says he can literally watch 1% drop every 5-6 minutes.

Let's do some math shall we? 5 minutes times 100 for each percent gives you the total minutes in battery life for this phone. Divide by 60 to convert to hours.

Go do it, I'll be sitting here while you figure out what you just accidentally agreed with me on.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I keep my phone at max brightness, anything under that looks awful on this AMOLED display

So 1% drop per 5 mins on max brightness eh? Not bad.

Gotta say I love having a proper RGB layout. Got really sick of the mesh look and zigzag lines of that horrid PenTile.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
GravityBox, an Xposed Module. Basically requires the phone to be rooted.

Also, something else funny about WilliamBateman's post...he says he can literally watch 1% drop every 5-6 minutes.

Let's do some math shall we? 5 minutes times 100 for each percent gives you the total minutes in battery life for this phone. Divide by 60 to convert to hours.

Go do it, I'll be sitting here while you figure out what you just accidentally agreed with me on.

Can you explain Xposed and Gravitybox a bit? I keep hearing that word getting tossed around, and I'm probably late to the party just like ART.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Can you explain Xposed and Gravitybox a bit? I keep hearing that word getting tossed around, and I'm probably late to the party just like ART.

Sure. Xposed is basically a mod manager for many Android phones. It can be installed on practically any rooted device (to root the Moto X, I unlocked the boot loader through Motorola's dev site and flashed TWRP through fastboot (TWRP is a custom recovery). TWRP then offers to automagically root the phone for you. Instructions for all this can be found over at xda). Mods come in packages called modules, installable and downloadable through the Xposed app (or through downloading an app as long as you're sure it's compatible). You then enable or disable modules and it'll let those apps (modules) tweak your phone as you choose. The modules range from a simple logo tweak to a mod suite like GravityBox, which is only made for stock ROMs.

The mods I got from Xposed and GravityBox so far are: centered clock, remove carrier logo, replace nav bar with PIE (screen edge gestures for the same tasks, but saves screen space), custom battery icon, recents page info (ram usage and such in the recents page) and a few other things I can't remember.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
So I keep seeing a lot of battery screen shots and people yelling "ZOMG you're doing something wrong!" Maybe people don't get it, but not all batteries are created equal.

I see screen shots of a Nexus 5 with pretty good battery life, but my Nexus 5 is lucky to get 3 hours SOT with normal usage and low brightness. Heck, right now it is on track to do 16 hours since unplugged with barely 2 hours SOT. Thats awful! Then someone says they can get 10 hours of SOT on a Moto X. Someone calls them out and shows screenshots of what they consider "poor" battery life with their Moto X. Coincidentally those screen shots are similar to battery life of my Nexus 5.

If there is anything I am learning from all the whining and blaming of people "doing something wrong," its that batteries are not all created equal. Nor is every component in a phone. Battery life will vary by usage, duh. But battery life will also vary per device as these things are not 100% consistent. There have been a couple days when I could have gotten over 5 hours SOT. Then the next day with the exact same usage I am at 2.5 hours SOT and 7% battery left.

This whole time I have been trying to see screen shots to determine which will provide better battery life. And I think the only conclusive way to do that is try out a Moto X in addition to my Nexus 5 and sell the one with the worse battery life. So if anyone else is in a similar situation, that is what I suggest. If this thread has shown me anything, it is that batteries in phones can provide inconsistent results.

That and if you get inconsistent results and post them people will just tell you that you're doing something wrong.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I've been having inconsistent battery life on my Nexus 5. Got the Moto X through the Cyber Monday deal. Hoping to see an improvement. If not, I'll send it back.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
So I keep seeing a lot of battery screen shots and people yelling "ZOMG you're doing something wrong!" Maybe people don't get it, but not all batteries are created equal.

I see screen shots of a Nexus 5 with pretty good battery life, but my Nexus 5 is lucky to get 3 hours SOT with normal usage and low brightness. Heck, right now it is on track to do 16 hours since unplugged with barely 2 hours SOT. Thats awful! Then someone says they can get 10 hours of SOT on a Moto X. Someone calls them out and shows screenshots of what they consider "poor" battery life with their Moto X. Coincidentally those screen shots are similar to battery life of my Nexus 5.

If there is anything I am learning from all the whining and blaming of people "doing something wrong," its that batteries are not all created equal. Nor is every component in a phone. Battery life will vary by usage, duh. But battery life will also vary per device as these things are not 100% consistent. There have been a couple days when I could have gotten over 5 hours SOT. Then the next day with the exact same usage I am at 2.5 hours SOT and 7% battery left.

This whole time I have been trying to see screen shots to determine which will provide better battery life. And I think the only conclusive way to do that is try out a Moto X in addition to my Nexus 5 and sell the one with the worse battery life. So if anyone else is in a similar situation, that is what I suggest. If this thread has shown me anything, it is that batteries in phones can provide inconsistent results.

That and if you get inconsistent results and post them people will just tell you that you're doing something wrong.

Agreed, maybe it has something to do with the area too. I don't know. I just know that if it is a battery problem with my Moto x, not like I can just swap a new one in. Have to send it back to Motorola and hope for a new one and wait. Now if it were a Samsung....

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Agreed, maybe it has something to do with the area too. I don't know. I just know that if it is a battery problem with my Moto x, not like I can just swap a new one in. Have to send it back to Motorola and hope for a new one and wait. Now if it were a Samsung....

Except it isn't, you're just using it with full brightness and it's still getting better battery life than your Note 3 from the info you gave. Besides, I'll happily take a permanent battery over shoddy build quality any day, something Samsung is well known for, not to mention terrible drop test results.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

When I talked to Motorola Customer Support, they offer what they call Advanced Replacement which is very similar to the RMA process for Nexus devices through Google. Might be worth a shot. But it might also only be available if you got yours through Moto Maker.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
If there is anything I am learning from all the whining and blaming of people "doing something wrong," its that batteries are not all created equal. Nor is every component in a phone. Battery life will vary by usage, duh. But battery life will also vary per device as these things are not 100% consistent. There have been a couple days when I could have gotten over 5 hours SOT.

No, they aren't all created equal, but individual variance in batteries cannot explain the massive differences being seen by people. My guess is that something is misbehaving in the background and this is sucking battery badly, or, they are in an area of particularly bad reception.

Then the next day with the exact same usage I am at 2.5 hours SOT and 7% battery left.

On my Nexus 5, if I don't use the screen, I use almost no battery. This is my last battery cycle when I only used 2.5 hours of screen on time (I realise this is not much but this demonstrates very good standby time)

This includes WiFi, 4g/3g, location on, brightness on auto. Bluetooth and NFC off. Even after that time, I lost 20% at the very end in a very short space of time due to an app using lots of CPU.

screen-1.png

screen-2.png

screen-3.png

Last edited:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
No, they aren't all created equal, but individual variance in batteries cannot explain the massive differences being seen by people. My guess is that something is misbehaving in the background and this is sucking battery badly, or, they are in an area of particularly bad reception.

On my Nexus 5, if I don't use the screen, I use almost no battery. This is my last battery cycle when I only used 2.5 hours of screen on time.

This includes WiFi, 4g/3g, location on. Bluetooth and NFC off. Even after that time, I lost 20% at the very end in a very short space of time due to an app using lots of CPU.

screen-1.png

screen-2.png

screen-3.png

I keep my brightness almost at the lowest. Was on wifi all day. No app was using more battery than it should, meaning the top things listed in battery stats were system-related. Yet I was on track to do 2 hours SOT with only 16 hours since taken off charge. Nothing is misbehaving. Your usage, from the screens and what you are telling me, seems nearly identical to mine. The battery on my Nexus 5 just isn't good. And it only gets worse browsing the web on LTE.

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
That's pretty decent battery life, Sickboy. "Standby" hardly means "sleeping" as it once used to, and the phone's arguably just as busy refreshing all sorts of things with the exception of the screen being off. 1 and a half days on battery is impeccable.

@appledes7 - something's definitely wrong there. I honestly suggest you get a replacement or get one of those battery monitoring apps and find out exactly why your battery life is suffering. Using the phone at that brightness should honestly get you 5+ hours easy.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
@appledes7 - something's definitely wrong there. I honestly suggest you get a replacement or get one of those battery monitoring apps and find out exactly why your battery life is suffering. Using the phone at that brightness should honestly get you 5+ hours easy.

If there is something wrong, its not software related.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I'd say the LG G2 is #1 followed by a three way tie between the Nexus 5, the Moto X, and the HTC One.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Except it isn't, you're just using it with full brightness and it's still getting better battery life than your Note 3 from the info you gave. Besides, I'll happily take a permanent battery over shoddy build quality any day, something Samsung is well known for, not to mention terrible drop test results.

No, my Moto X doesn't get anywhere close to the battery life of my Note 3. Its a moot point though because I just got an iPhone 5s and Im sending the Moto X back tomorrow :)

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
No, my Moto X doesn't get anywhere close to the battery life of my Note 3. Its a moot point though because I just got an iPhone 5s and Im sending the Moto X back tomorrow :)

Well your Moto X is (was?) defective because mine lasts 8+ hours and I proved it, a figure you earlier stated was impossible for your Note 3 and its laptop battery:

Proof? My Note 3 doesn't even achieve that and it has a a much bigger battery than the N5

Enjoy your iPhone though! :)

Last edited:

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Moto X for what it's worth with moderate to heave usage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 102

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Moto X for what it's worth with moderate to heave usage.

Why don't you guys just be honest here? Are you being paid by Motorola? You can't have "moderate to heavy usage" when phone idle and cell standby are right there near the top of your list in battery. Where is Internet? Where is Facebook or Instagram or Netflix or any game? Just stop already

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Well your Moto X is (was?) defective because mine lasts 8+ hours and I proved it, a figure you earlier stated was impossible for your Note 3 and its laptop battery:

Enjoy your iPhone though! :)

You didn't prove anything, I saw no 8 hour SOT screen shot. I saw one for 58 minutes of on screen time with your battery at 90% and that's not a big deal since batteries have their maximum performance the first few hours after a charge. Still waiting to see 8 hours screen time

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
ill take one today with the nexus 5 and the SOT. I mean to last night, but when I updated to 4.4.2 it made it reset my stats. My usage today will probably be very light, but I will probably have around 1.5 hours SOT and 60%+ left

currently I only have 35 min SOT and 7h 20min on battery with 85% left

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.