Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'm getting unusual idle drain. Like 5% every hour. Screen was at like 60% of my total battery usage, but after idle time Android OS is now at the top. Any ideas what could be causing it or the best way to figure out what the problem could be?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Exactly :). I think that is very feasible with the nexus 5...especially when on Wifi. All of the screen shots I posted were with less than 10% wifi time, so if you are on wifi a lot it would be even better.

Interesting, because I'm on WiFi 80% of the time. So you've had both the Nexus and iPhone? How does the battery life compare in your opinion?

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Yep, left them on. The Moto X actually has 3 processors, two of which are super low power and handle the touchless control and such. And the screen is AMOLED so Active Notifications/Display takes very little power. I imagine turning them off wouldn't really change consumption by a whole lot.

I didn't initially think they would take up much battery. But I am at 72% with almost 1.5 hours SOT. Thats pretty good in and of itself, better than my Nexus 5. But with my Nexus 5, "Screen" would undoubtedly be number 1 on the list. But for my Moto X, "Android OS" beats out screen. And because of that, I am starting to think it is because of Touchless Control and Active Display. Have you encountered anything like it or know what else might be causing it?

Attachments

• 2013-12-12 23.30.08.png
    2013-12-12 23.30.08.png
    150.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 2013-12-12 23.30.19.png
    2013-12-12 23.30.19.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 112

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
My picture had near the same percentage but over 2 hours. Just saying. :p Nice standby time though!

Yea, check out my screenshots below. I don't know whats going on lately, but its pretty sad when an iPhone battery is performing better than a phone with a giant 3000maH battery. This iPhone is brand new too only had 1 full charge the night I got it. Opened my running applications on the Note and I have crap running like Amazon and Samsung WatchOn which I didn't even open. Then stuff like SmartCard service, ELM Agent, Google Play services, Android.app key etc...I mean, its getting as bad as Windows with all this junk running. One of the main reasons I went Mac 7 year ago and never looked back. Apple just can't be beat for software optimization, light and clean and things only run when they are needed.

Attachments

• Note1.png
    Note1.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Note2.png
    Note2.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 104
  • iphone.PNG
    iphone.PNG
    74.8 KB · Views: 108

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Recent developments have been interesting on the battery topic. At the beginning, I kept reading about complaints on iPhone's battery. I'm surprised to be reading so much praise on this recently.

Anyway, to the reason why I decided to post. I was wondering about the moto x battery life. Since it is AMOLED display, would there be less battery drain if the menus were mostly in deep blacks (screen off)? It'd be interesting to see someone develop a rom to optimize AMOLED displays so that menus were just black and white with there being more blacks. I'm sure that'll save a ton of battery life.

If there is already a rom like this, please let me know. Extending battery life really interests me and I'm an Android-newb.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Recent developments have been interesting on the battery topic. At the beginning, I kept reading about complaints on iPhone's battery. I'm surprised to be reading so much praise on this recently.

Anyway, to the reason why I decided to post. I was wondering about the moto x battery life. Since it is AMOLED display, would there be less battery drain if the menus were mostly in deep blacks (screen off)? It'd be interesting to see someone develop a rom to optimize AMOLED displays so that menus were just black and white with there being more blacks. I'm sure that'll save a ton of battery life.

If there is already a rom like this, please let me know. Extending battery life really interests me and I'm an Android-newb.

I'm pretty sure iOS 7.0.3 or 4 must have addressed battery because it seems to be much better than it was on 7.0 and I keep location services on. Interesting idea about the all black menus though

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Yea, check out my screenshots below. I don't know whats going on lately, but its pretty sad when an iPhone battery is performing better than a phone with a giant 3000maH battery. This iPhone is brand new too only had 1 full charge the night I got it. Opened my running applications on the Note and I have crap running like Amazon and Samsung WatchOn which I didn't even open. Then stuff like SmartCard service, ELM Agent, Google Play services, Android.app key etc...I mean, its getting as bad as Windows with all this junk running. One of the main reasons I went Mac 7 year ago and never looked back. Apple just can't be beat for software optimization, light and clean and things only run when they are needed.
Still didn't beat my screenshot. ;)

And iPhone doesn't have active notifications. Or touchless control. Or about a third of the Moto X's features (of Android in general). It's a very simple, relatively primitive OS and I'm not surprised if it manages to get better battery. But you haven't proven that it gets a better battery life than mine so far, so keep trying. ;) Yours doesn't count (possibility of bias. Don't argue with me, it's a statistical law).

Edit: actually don't keep trying. Or do, I don't care. I'm really sick of arguing. Ok WilliamBateman, every single review site out there is wrong, all Moto X owners are wrong, and you and your (seemingly defective) Moto X are right and are totally representative of fact whereas we're all living in denial and all review sites are paid to say good things about the Moto X. Furthermore, your Note 3 and iPhone 5S are the two best phones on the planet.

Just for the love of God please spamming the thread with phones that have nothing to do with the thread whatsoever.

I didn't initially think they would take up much battery. But I am at 72% with almost 1.5 hours SOT. Thats pretty good in and of itself, better than my Nexus 5. But with my Nexus 5, "Screen" would undoubtedly be number 1 on the list. But for my Moto X, "Android OS" beats out screen. And because of that, I am starting to think it is because of Touchless Control and Active Display. Have you encountered anything like it or know what else might be causing it?
I think active notifications would still fall under screen but certainly the accelerometer/gyro monitoring is considered a part of Android OS, as is touch less control. If you turned them off you'll definitely get better standby time.

Last edited:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I think active notifications would still fall under screen but certainly the accelerometer/gyro monitoring is considered a part of Android OS, as is touch less control. If you turned them off you'll definitely get better standby time.

I'm definitely starting to think something is going on here. Deep sleep time is less than the lowest clock speed. I'd imagine that could be part of the reason idle power is so bad. Is there any way to figure out what exactly is causing it?
mavahahy.jpg

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I'm definitely starting to think something is going on here. Deep sleep time is less than the lowest clock speed. I'd imagine that could be part of the reason idle power is so bad. Is there any way to figure out what exactly is causing it? Image

I guess it's the price to pay for Active Notifications and Touchless Control. Maybe try the test again with them off? Should theoretically stop the two co-processors from working. Also maybe turn off the camera flick gesture as it probably uses a coprocessor.

Also, maybe try using that one app (battery info plus or something?) It gives you super detailed info about where your charge is going.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Still didn't beat my screenshot. ;)

And iPhone doesn't have active notifications. Or touchless control. Or about a third of the Moto X's features (of Android in general). It's a very simple, relatively primitive OS and I'm not surprised if it manages to get better battery.

Its cool, not trying to beat you. Your usage doesn't mean much to me and my usage :) iPhone doesn't have "active notifications" but seeing as how every notification turns your whole screen on and shows the notification in color, it should drain more battery than the Moto X's way of doing things where it only lights certain pixels. Im on pace for 3 days off the charger and 6 hours usage, I'll take that all day every day. Im tempted to not charge it and just see how far I get.

Attachments

• iphoto.PNG
    iphoto.PNG
    74.9 KB · Views: 88

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Its cool, not trying to beat you. Your usage doesn't mean much to me and my usage :) iPhone doesn't have "active notifications" but seeing as how every notification turns your whole screen on and shows the notification in color, it should drain more battery than the Moto X's way of doing things where it only lights certain pixels. Im on pace for 3 days off the charger and 6 hours usage, I'll take that all day every day. Im tempted to not charge it and just see how far I get.

Congrats.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I guess it's the price to pay for Active Notifications and Touchless Control. Maybe try the test again with them off? Should theoretically stop the two co-processors from working. Also maybe turn off the camera flick gesture as it probably uses a coprocessor.

Also, maybe try using that one app (battery info plus or something?) It gives you super detailed info about where your charge is going.

I have tried a couple battery usage apps. The problem is that ever since 4.4, those apps now require root access to give you most information.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I have tried a couple battery usage apps. The problem is that ever since 4.4, those apps now require root access to give you most information.

Shucks. I'm rooted so I guess I'll test it soon. But its almost undoubtedly the active notifications and touchless control.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Interesting, because I'm on WiFi 80% of the time. So you've had both the Nexus and iPhone? How does the battery life compare in your opinion?

I never struggle with battery life on any phone (aside from the nexus 4 with wakelocks). I get better battery on the n5 than I did with the iphone. I think the SOT is comparable, but I actually have a lot less idle drain on the n5. Since I am a light to moderate user that is actually most important to me.

Having the exact same usage patters I usually would end the day on the iphone 5 with around 25%-30% battery and with the n5 it is always over 40%.

If I was to leave both the iphone and n5 on a desk and not touch them, I could get days of standby time. Honestly, battery is not a problem with either phone unless you are a heavy user. People who know they are heavy users probably make arrangements to be around chargers though.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I never struggle with battery life on any phone (aside from the nexus 4 with wakelocks). I get better battery on the n5 than I did with the iphone. I think the SOT is comparable, but I actually have a lot less idle drain on the n5. Since I am a light to moderate user that is actually most important to me.

Having the exact same usage patters I usually would end the day on the iphone 5 with around 25%-30% battery and with the n5 it is always over 40%

Good to know. I might pick one up but I keep reading horror stories about the battery life. I don't know if Android users have higher standards, but nobody claims the battery life is anywhere near good, it's just sometimes average and decent, other times terrible and a blight on what's otherwise a good phone. It seems very inconsistent, likely due to Google Services. Do you have Google Now enabled? What do you have turned off and which iPhone did you have?

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Good to know. I might pick one up but I keep reading horror stories about the battery life. I don't know if Android users have higher standards, but nobody claims the battery life is anywhere near good, it's just sometimes average and decent, other times terrible and a blight on what's otherwise a good phone. It seems very inconsistent, likely due to Google Services. Do you have Google Now enabled? What do you have turned off and which iPhone did you have?

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread.

I have all features enabled and leave them on 24/7 (Google now, location services, WiFi, Bluetooth). You name it and I have it on. I had the iPhone 5.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I have all features enabled and leave them on 24/7 (Google now, location services, WiFi, Bluetooth). You name it and I have it on. I had the iPhone 5.

Awesome. Does the battery life seem inconsistent to you, like some days being substantially worse or better than the last?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Awesome. Does the battery life seem inconsistent to you, like some days being substantially worse or better than the last?

I know some have mentioned that, but I have had very consistent battery life. Not one day has it been bad and I got it at lunch.

I have ART enabled

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I know some have mentioned that, but I have had very consistent battery life. Not one day has it been bad and I got it at lunch.

I have ART enabled

It seems like some people are having issues with Google Play Services, taking even more power than the screen. Yours looks normal, even though everything is enabled. Hm. I nearly always get a day out of my iPhone and was skeptical that this could last me as long. But I might just have to buy one and see for myself...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It seems like some people are having issues with Google Play Services, taking even more power than the screen. Yours looks normal, even though everything is enabled. Hm. I nearly always get a day out of my iPhone and was skeptical that this could last me as long. But I might just have to buy one and see for myself...

I would suggest trying it out. If you decided not to keep it you could easily sell it and break even. That way you could avoid having to do a return.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Shucks. I'm rooted so I guess I'll test it soon. But its almost undoubtedly the active notifications and touchless control.

Hopefully I will find out today. I disabled both of those in addition to the shake to open camera feature.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Hopefully I will find out today. I disabled both of those in addition to the shake to open camera feature.

One of my issues with Android phones is this problem that randomly affects people. My question to manufacturers is why give us all these features if we have to turn them off to get through the day?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
One of my issues with Android phones is this problem that randomly affects people. My question to manufacturers is why give us all these features if we have to turn them off to get through the day?

Sometimes its better to have features with the option to turn them off compared to not having features at all. Let the user decide if they need it instead of telling users no, they can't have it.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

Totally agree. I'd rather have better battery life than features I will never use. Sure, you can argue "let the user decide." But if the user doesn't know, they are just going to get bad battery life because of useless features. Then they walk away with a bad impression of the product. And this is one of the intangible things you won't find on a specs sheet that I think Apple does a good job with. And I think people on MacRumors have a nasty habit of forgetting that we are in the minority when it comes to tinkering with our phones. Most people just want to have it working at maximum potential right out of the box. People don't want to have to optimize their phone themselves. That is something the manufacturer should do. And this is something Apple does much better than any other Android phone on the market. And I am saying that having not owned and used an iPhone in over a year. I switched over the day the Nexus 4 came out.

Now that I said something positive about Apple in the alternatives section, queue the disagreement posts.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Sometimes its better to have features with the option to turn them off compared to not having features at all. Let the user decide if they need it instead of telling users no, they can't have it.

No doubt that is better. However, I wish they would give us the battery to last a day with features enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.