Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
2010 MBP i7 with 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Snow Leopard.

The update was pretty much flawless for me. So impressed with how smooth it went. I made the switch because some photography softwares I want/use required the new OS (Aperture, and a frame App I wanted to purchase). I made good use of the message app last night as well, typing away to people and picking up the conversations later on my iPad.

Overall the only two hiccups I encountered were:
1. Magicprefs no longer was working properly, however this didn't bother me because the new OS seems to have sped up the max pointer speed of the Magic Mouse, and I was happy with how everything felt/gestures with the factory settings and don't think I need Magicprefs any more.

2. When using my LED Cinema display connected to the Macbook, normally I will open the lid of the macbook when it starts to get hot, but if I don't click anything on the keyboard it will stay dark and the Cinema display remains that only monitor/primary monitor. With Mountain Lion, as soon as you open the macbook lid it automatically went to a two display setup and I could not figure out how to change it back to the way it was (I never use the small Macbook display when using the Cinema display). Overall I may just start utilizing this two display approach but it's the only quirk I've run into thus far.

Mac'em X

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2003
Japan
The sadly declining quality of trollship

Apple is going downhill fast. Who the hell uses all this iCrap software?Kindergartners? It's useless junk.

Ah, I miss the old days when trolls were at least mildly annoying. They just don't try any more. :(

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
My Bootcamp partition with windows no longer boots within Parallel. During windows loading it says

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information"

I have Parallel 7.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
But it still works as in Lion. When I open and edit an existing document, the document will be auto saved when I close it, without any further notice. When I quit an application with open documents, it still saves them for me and reopens them when I open the app the next time. The only difference in Mountain Lion is that you can change this behaviour in System Preferences. You can disable the resume function and auto save if you want to, but they are not enabled by default.

I have become used to this anyway and actually quite like it. I close apps all the time instead of closing the individual documents, just to quickly get back to my work. The same goes for auto save, which ensures that all my edits are saved, even when I don’t think about it.
Where can you change it in System Preferences. The Resume feature used to be under "General" in Lion, but now it's gone. And also, I don't believe you could change the Autosave feature in Lion. But if you can now, that's cool, I just don't see it in System Preferences. :confused:

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Downloaded ML went to work, came home, and it took eh...50 minutes or so to install, not bad nothing horrible. I did notice the first boot-up was sort of slow, so I rebooted and everything is buttery.

I still need to dig into the OS and find all the little things, but for the most part the dictation ALONE is worth the 20 bucks, theres a lot of little things that you would end up paying third party for that would cost more then 20 bucks.

I know I might get flack, but so far it feels like a bundle pack more then a OS upgrade, I was kinda dissapointed that facebook integration wasn't in there right away. This new habit of Apple's that 'We will put out something, but it will be fully functional later' is pretty weaksauce in my opinion. You could have just put it out with ios6 and have everything work at the same time, but overall good install, plenty of good features and a bunch of hidden ones I must seek out!

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
You don't need it. In fact, nobody used the RSS feature on Safari or Mail, and thank god Apple god rid of another junk features that 99.99% of the users don't use.

If you need it, there's an app for that, called Reeder. Check it out.

If you and both Apple feel that by making an operating system less functionally as good then good grief.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
DL slow, but finally there. (Expected with millions to dl )

Install process logical and easy to follow.

Going from SL directly to ML.

No desire to have Lion.

BAD:
No mention on screen or any place that after the restart you will have to wait quite a while.

Beach ball spinning as if the install is hanging.

Resisted my urge not to wait , forcequit or restart and googled things to find out that it can be 15 min to 1 hour to have everything working.

Indeed took an hour.

Quicken 2007 got the X out sign , as in not working under ML.
Not a problem. Been on iBank for a while.

Supergripe:

They destroyed the PREVIEW app.

Previously it was possible to just drag a photo to it to reduce the file size.
Move the slider for quality to the left until it showed say 425 kb or whatever size was good for e-mailing.

Save, done. Fast and easy.

Now you have to duplicate the picture and in that window the slider no longer shows the file size you reduce things to. BAD!!

The old SL preview had a save as command, which brought up a pull down menu of filters.

Gone in this one.

Invaluable for me to avoid printing b/w stuff in color printers.

Depending on the document my Lexmark X544 generates black out of 3 colors. What a waste.

No issue with MS Office 2008, as promised by Microsoft.

Coming from SL , have to get used to different scrolling. (I know can be reversed)

Hope that airplay works with this older MBP (2008). Upgraded mostly because of that feature. Didn't try it out yet.

But, if another post is true and it only works with newer gen MBP's etc. Apple
should have said so. Small print , asterisk or whatever.

Mail
Not sure yet if I like the ios type mail treatment.

I happen to use my mbxs like filing cabinets. (I know not recommended) and the old view was better.

Need to tinker and read up on preferences adjustments.

Pet peeve . Trackpad uses batteries too fast. Need rechargeables option or usb hook up. (I know wireless is elegant, but I'd rather put a cable and forgo batteries)

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Super snappy, but…

After a few hours giving Mountain Lion a spin, I'm extremely happy to report that the general sluggishness that afflicted my CS5 Design Standard apps is now gone! Acrobat Pro launches instantly, Photoshop nearly instantly, and both Illustrator and InDesign launch in a respectable >10 s., while all of them quit instantly (I used to have to force quit Illustrator and/or InDesign more often than not). So, overall, and considering my iMac has been turning into just a work tool ever since I bought an iPad, these were the best spent €15 in my whole life as an Apple user. :cool:

However, I managed to find an interface inconsistency already: click-through doesn't work in the new fat/draggable scrollbars in Safari – they fail to appear on hover – when you are focusing either from another Safari window or from another app, which forces you to click them twice, once for switching focus and make the fat version appear and yet another time to actually perform the drag operation. I also found a serious bug, in Speech: when selecting a Portuguese voice (in this case, Joana) in Lion, Software Update would, then, download the appropriate module from Apple's servers; now, under Mountain Lion, when an unavailable voice is selected, a message appears informing the user that the download will start automatically… except it never does. Did Apple just forget to reroute all the use cases for Software Update to the App Store, as promised? I'm beginning to wonder whether my EPSON printer and scanner will be automatically updated as before… :mad:

Actually, scratch that… In the end I did manage to download that. The problem was, I still had Software Update, which lives on as a non-selectable (either via the Dock or Cmd+Tab) zombie leftover from Lion, running but hanging there and blocking any further downloads with but an OK button, after having finished downloading some Java update that CS5 required. Bad interface design, bad! If I only knew that… Software Update, in these cases and under this new model, should just behave like the OS X installer and quit by itself after 30 seconds. :mad:

Last edited:

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I would at least upgrade RAM to 4GB. 2GB should only be used with Tiger or Leopard. Mountain Lion is superior to Lion hands down. There is simply no debating that.

If you can't upgrade your RAM then i suggest downgrading to Snow Leopard for a better experience.

$20 is that difficult to cough up and justify to you for an OS upgrade? *shakes head*

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro. So far, just as fast as Lion.

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
So far so good here. Everything went smoothly and pretty much everything I use has been compatible. I didn't really expect any problems honestly...

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Hope that airplay works with this older MBP (2008). Upgraded mostly because of that feature. Didn't try it out yet.

Prepare to be disappointed. Only for Early 2011 and newer models. There are a couple threads about it. Apparently it is a physical hardware limitation.

agmaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
There are more new OS's coming out the rear end than there are good stuff going in the mouth. Everything is eared towards the gear headz with all those devices, every device has to have the same thing all at the same time = sooooo control freaky yeah?? I don't know anyone who gets much done at all these days with all that stuff in all those gearz?!

I just want simple, i don't want any of the bells n whistles, faces book, reminders, email pop up stuff, I can multi-task just fine without the computer's OS helping me. Stability and speed and take up as little resources as possible please n thanks.

That is exactly the reason why I am still using SL. If only I could get the few good features new to ML without all the extra icing on the cake, aka junk related to syncing to an iOS device.

Loudobby

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
WiFi issues Mountain Lion on Mac book air

I was a little over enthusiastic today.
I downloaded Mountain Lion on my own as well as my wife's 13" MAC book air.
Clear mistake.

Result: no connection anymore to internet. ****!

When connected via LAN cable its ok. I downloaded a SW patch which took ages to be installed. After power up and down it worked.
Then tried agin WiFi: not successful.

IPhone and Ipad remains working well on the wireless networks.

Its very frustrating and my wife is about to kill me.......

Help Help!

Lou,
Holland

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
Mountain Lion

Looks great so far. Think I'll wait until I get my new iMac

----------

I was a little over enthusiastic today.
I downloaded Mountain Lion on my own as well as my wife's 13" MAC book air.
Clear mistake.

Result: no connection anymore to internet. ****!

When connected via LAN cable its ok. I downloaded a SW patch which took ages to be installed. After power up and down it worked.
Then tried agin WiFi: not successful.

IPhone and Ipad remains working well on the wireless networks.

Its very frustrating and my wife is about to kill me.......

Help Help!

Lou,
Holland
What errors are you getting?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Interesting! I assumed that Apple would happily give out a redemption code for anyone that requested it.

That would make the most sense. Dare I say it, at this point with ML at $19, they should make Lion free.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Prepare to be disappointed. Only for Early 2011 and newer models. There are a couple threads about it. Apparently it is a physical hardware limitation.

Thank you, bummer:-(

Would have been too easy.

I am ready to buy another MBP anyway, but I am waiting for a current gen Refurb.

Probably mentioned someplace in Apple's fine print that nobody reads!

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
What no airplay!!!!

WHAT NO AIRPLAY!!!!

I'm waiting til it settles... plus the only thing I really wanted was Airplay and I've just found out from an extremely pissed friend that you can't have it on a Mac that's older than summer 2011

So Apple are now writing off devices that are older than 1-2 years old like they do with the iOS devices... whereas the complete Microsoft Windows 8 demo will run on an old tatty 2008 Compaq machine!!

Be careful Apple, there is a saying that goes 'you're getting too big for your boots'

majortrout

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Where can I find honest reviews - warts and all?

I always search out reviews before I purchase any software. However, it's next to impossible to find "bad" reviews or reviews with negative commentary on poor features.

I purchased and downloaded OS X (Mountain Lion) having found very little "negative" reviews.

Upon downloading and using Mountain Lion, I personally found my experiences:

1. Took 4 hours to download and install (even with a high speed ISP).

2. Not all software works, GIMP (A great and free image-editing software)
does not work. Apple did say to download:

XQuartz-2.7.2.dmg 2.7.2 2012-06-01 For OS X 10.6 or later (including Mountain Lion)

However, GIMP still does not work.

My Photoshop CS5 doesn't work either. I had to download a Java upgrade. Why, I don't know, but that worked! Also,the download was also slow, even though the data downloaded was very small!

3. Delete Cache (From Safari) does not work anymore. You have to go to Safari>>Preferences>>Remove all Website Data

4. No more choices of Search Engines. Google is the default one, and to change to Yahoo or BIng, you have to do enter the change in a manual setting.

I don't own a cell phone , IPad, Ipod or any other Apple device.

I thought the new OS X would be better for my IMac - Am I wrong?

Finally, to review - are they any "honest honest" review sites out there for any item, product, hardware or software?

Thanks
Majortrout

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I always search out reviews before I purchase any software. However, it's next to impossible to find "bad" reviews or reviews with negative commentary on poor features.

I purchased and downloaded OS X (Mountain Lion) having found very little "negative" reviews.

Upon downloading and using Mountain Lion, I personally found my experiences:

1. Took 4 hours to download and install (even with a high speed ISP).

2. Not all software works, GIMP (A great and free image-editing software)
does not work. Apple did say to download:

XQuartz-2.7.2.dmg 2.7.2 2012-06-01 For OS X 10.6 or later (including Mountain Lion)

However, GIMP still does not work.

3. Delete Cache (From Safari) does not work anymore. You have to go to Safari>>Preferences>>Remove all Website Data

4. No more choices of Search Engines. Google is the default one, and to change to Yahoo or BIng, you have to do enter the change in a manual setting.

I don't own a cell phone , IPad, Ipod or any other Apple device.

I thought the new OS X would be better for my IMac - Am I wrong?

Finally, to review - are they any "honest honest" review sites out there for any item, product, hardware or software?

Thanks
Majortrout

Just keep reading through here. Everybody has a different tolerance for what works for them.

MAIL
-----
They put the icons for attachment etc. all the way to the right for new messages.

So, now when typing a new message you have to move the curser all the way to the right etc. wastes time.

Yes, I can do shift command A, but moving the curser should be right next to send, maybe with a little space,like in the previous mail.

Don't know if there is a setting, no time to play with it.

Time to look at Thunderbird and I MailHub

And, PREVIEW is bad , see my other post.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I'm happy with this update. it seems this is the same Apple did with Leopard and Snow leopard. It's the same OS more stable and fixed. I remember when I was using leopard I was like Snow Leopard is the same *****! I was so disappointed... then I realized it was a superior improvement and it was great to and better to use. now I bet it will be the same with ML, you don't see it clearly but then you will be like: "THANKS GOD FOR THIS UPDATE!"

----------

WHAT NO AIRPLAY!!!!

I'm waiting til it settles... plus the only thing I really wanted was Airplay and I've just found out from an extremely pissed friend that you can't have it on a Mac that's older than summer 2011

So Apple are now writing off devices that are older than 1-2 years old like they do with the iOS devices... whereas the complete Microsoft Windows 8 demo will run on an old tatty 2008 Compaq machine!!

Be careful Apple, there is a saying that goes 'you're getting too big for your boots'

technology... it sucks. BUY NEW HARDWARE DUDE!

Stonefly

Contributor
Dec 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
Just keep reading through here. Everybody has a different tolerance for what works for them.

MAIL
-----
They put the icons for attachment etc. all the way to the right for new messages.

So, now when typing a new message you have to move the curser all the way to the right etc. wastes time.

Yes, I can do shift command A, but moving the curser should be right next to send, maybe with a little space,like in the previous mail.

Don't know if there is a setting, no time to play with it.

Time to look at Thunderbird and I MailHub

And, PREVIEW is bad , see my other post.

Just right click up top on the grey bar and click customize toolbar. You can add, remove or move them around. Just move the paperclip to the left where you want it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.