Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The problem really is that most of the innovation is now occurring on iOS rather than OS X, with OS X mostly just getting ported iOS features.

Now, I don't have a big problem with this, as iOS, being a mobile platform, is where innovation really shines as it needs to marry all the best new features with strong performance.

Where I see Apple falling down is that they're not doing enough to make these ported iOS features desktop friendly. In particular many of the features are over-simplified, which might be fine on a more limited platform, but on good laptops and desktops it's resulting in features that are prettier than they are function.

Aside from all this, the Finder still could use a major rethink; aside from adding tabs to the current Finder, I can't help but think that Apple's innovation could be applied to creating a new method of browsing the file-system that's more streamlined, or at least less buggy and inconsistent. Considering it's such a commonly used part of the OS, it really does get overlooked; I'd pay for an OS update for nothing but a Finder upgrade, if it was good enough.

No there is just as much innovation coming from OS X. Apple doesn't highlight these features because often they are seemingly small and insignificant but they form underlaying tools that make software or the performance better.

Everything you mentioned here is the window dressing stuff. It's the features that Apple tells consumers about. When talking about innovation you have to take a holistic view. Innovation from a consumer standpoint is different than innovation from a development standpoint. Consumers need to see UI innovation like Mission Control and Full Screen. Developers need to see UX improvements like the API behind Share Sheets or a better way to access filesystem data.

%80 of the time here on MR the person screaming about innovation is in the consumer camp. If something doesn't beep and flash at them they are bored. Hang around in developer circles and you get a different perspective about the worthiness of an OS X upgrade. Lion was bad from my recollection and I'm waiting for more fleshed out Dev Betas before we really understand how ML has progressed from a development standpoint.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
(Not that) interesting review of an early developer preview.

It's naive to assume everything Apple has in mind is just thrown in it.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Everything you mentioned here is the window dressing stuff. It's the features that Apple tells consumers about.
Sure, but it's the parts of the operating system that people have to actually use. If Apple can't be bothered making Mission Control, the Finder, etc. more usable, then it doesn't really matter how good the developer APIs are, since it's the consumers you have to convince.

If the consumers don't see a reason to upgrade, then the developers (of which I am one) have to keep focusing on the OS versions that the people are actually using.

When it comes down to it, while Apple has done great things with new APIs in the past, an API is just common code; while OS support for a feature is nice, it's just as possible for third parties to develop the platforms that other developers need for central/standardised image-processing, thread management etc. Putting these things into the OS so developers are much more likely to use them, trying a different take on them, these are all well and good but when it comes down to it, I believe an OS should be about making it easier for users to do what they need to do; yes, part of that is making sure developers are on board and using new standards etc., but it also means improving and streamlining all the user facing features as well.

Unfortunately in Lion, while a number of the user facing features are good, they've been largely ported from iOS with not enough attention paid to how OS X use is different, which means that many of Lion's features simply aren't good enough. Likewise, Mountain Lion is showing a worrying trend towards more of the same. I don't dislike the idea of more features being in common with iOS, but iOS and OS X are used on fundamentally different devices, so when these things are ported across they need more innovative engineering to make them work, and to be honest I don't see that happening right now.

It's all well and good when the developers have better iCloud integration, Notification Centre and what-have-you, but if the user is being driven insane by Mission Control's gimpy behaviour when switching between all those shiny new apps, it kind of mires the whole experience, and experience is a big part of what Apple's always been about.

Fortunately, having given the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 a whirl I can safely say that Mountain Lion can't possibly be any worse than the god-awful Metro interface is on a desktop machine; sure, you can still use a Windows desktop, but since Metro and Windows 8 are pretty much one and the same, then there's not really any point in upgrading from Windows 7. It is however an ideal example of what Apple should definitely not be doing :)

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
Apple hasn't lost its innovation. It's gradually creating a desktop+mobile OS whereas Microsft just jumped to the desktop+mobile OS. Windows 8 is great IMO, but I believe that Microsoft's approach to this OS is bad. They're forcing something so new and revolutionary on people, to the point where they won't know what to do with it or how to use it, even if they've used Windows their whole life. OS X is eventually going to merge into a mobile+desktop OS like Windows 8, except its moving towards that gradually, one update at a time, so its users aren't overwhelmed or worse, confused.
Apple hasn't lost its innovation. It just understands consumers more and realizes that if it were to force an entirely new OS on its users, like Microsoft is doing with Windows 8, it won't be accepted well, like Vista.
People who pay attention to technology, like everyone on these forums (I'm assuming), will know how to use Windows 8 because we pay attention to how-to videos, reviews, etc. But to the average consumer, Windows 8 will be confusing and hard to handle (at first, of course). Windows 8 is innovation, but its too much too soon. Apple is innovating in waves so as not to overwhelm their users.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Apple hasn't lost its innovation. It's gradually creating a desktop+mobile OS whereas Microsft just jumped to the desktop+mobile OS. Windows 8 is great IMO, but I believe that Microsoft's approach to this OS is bad. They're forcing something so new and revolutionary on people, to the point where they won't know what to do with it or how to use it, even if they've used Windows their whole life. OS X is eventually going to merge into a mobile+desktop OS like Windows 8, except its moving towards that gradually, one update at a time, so its users aren't overwhelmed or worse, confused.
Apple hasn't lost its innovation. It just understands consumers more and realizes that if it were to force an entirely new OS on its users, like Microsoft is doing with Windows 8, it won't be accepted well, like Vista.
People who pay attention to technology, like everyone on these forums (I'm assuming), will know how to use Windows 8 because we pay attention to how-to videos, reviews, etc. But to the average consumer, Windows 8 will be confusing and hard to handle (at first, of course). Windows 8 is innovation, but its too much too soon. Apple is innovating in waves so as not to overwhelm their users.

I completely agree, look how many complaints there are about the small changes made from Snow Leopard to Lion. If Apple were to be "Innovative" and completely change the UI, all hell would break loose.

Anthony La

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Unfortunately in Lion, while a number of the user facing features are good, they've been largely ported from iOS with not enough attention paid to how OS X use is different, which means that many of Lion's features simply aren't good enough. Likewise, Mountain Lion is showing a worrying trend towards more of the same. I don't dislike the idea of more features being in common with iOS, but iOS and OS X are used on fundamentally different devices, so when these things are ported across they need more innovative engineering to make them work, and to be honest I don't see that happening right now.

While I'm not denying that the experience is slightly marred by features from that need to be fleshed out, I'd say with some of the Mountain Lion features, they're not flat out porting them to the point they don't make sense. Take Reminders for instance - it allows for multiple windows with different lists open. And, with Notes, we can have multiple notes open at once, and there's rich text functionality to boot.

The fact we have a Reminders and Notes app, and that the other apps like Address Book have been renamed, seems more like Apple trying to be consistent with iOS, but that the apps still take some advantage of what the desktop offers shows that Apple's still putting some effort in to make sure the traditional desktop paradigm still seems relevant to them.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
While I'm not denying that the experience is slightly marred by features from that need to be fleshed out, I'd say with some of the Mountain Lion features, they're not flat out porting them to the point they don't make sense. Take Reminders for instance - it allows for multiple windows with different lists open. And, with Notes, we can have multiple notes open at once, and there's rich text functionality to boot.

The fact we have a Reminders and Notes app, and that the other apps like Address Book have been renamed, seems more like Apple trying to be consistent with iOS, but that the apps still take some advantage of what the desktop offers shows that Apple's still putting some effort in to make sure the traditional desktop paradigm still seems relevant to them.

That's really what it's about. Notes "is" different in OS X versus iOS. I find that the people whining about "Innovation" are often the ones that don't understand really that the word is subjective and what is innovation to one person is trivial to another.

OS X is not becoming iOS and vice versa. The ideal integration between the two will be at the API level and also document level but each will have it's own differences that make sense for the platform.

Really ...I hate to say this because often it doesn't make that much sense but I believe Mountain Lion is the feature-set that Apple wanted to deliver with Lion and just ran out of resources.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Apple hasn't lost its innovation. It's gradually creating a desktop+mobile OS whereas Microsft just jumped to the desktop+mobile OS.[...]
OS X is eventually going to merge into a mobile+desktop OS like Windows 8

Do you mind explaining what you mean by "desktop+mobile OS". Because OS X already works great on (mobile) laptops like the Air. What it doesn't work on is touch devices. So, I suspect what you really mean is that Microsoft are creating an OS that combines the UIs for touch with the one for keyboard&mouse input. And I don't see how it is possible to create one interface for that without compromising the user experience?!

AnandTech said:
while the Metro UI (and UI changes in general) seems like it would work great on a tablet, I’m ready to go on record as saying I think it sucks for traditional desktop and laptop users. Without a touch interface, Metro feels weird at best and downright awful at worst.

Last edited:

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
Do you mind explaining what you mean by "desktop+mobile OS". Because OS X already works great on (mobile) laptops like the Air. What it doesn't work on is touch devices. So, I suspect what you really mean is that Microsoft are creating an OS that combines the UIs for touch with the one for keyboard&mouse input. And I don't see how it is possible to create one interface for that without compromising the user experience?!

Yes the Air is the most mobile laptop available and OS X runs great on it, but by desktop+mobile OS I meant an OS that works with laptops/desktops AND tablets/smartphones/etc. (it's rumored there's a Windows 8 phone coming but I doubt it). Like I said before, both Microsoft and Apple are going to reach this OS, Apple is just getting there more gradually.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Gatekeep sounds good. But if Adobe and Nik aren't on board with this for my Lightroom and Photoshop and Nik software combo, I might have to switch to Windows. Hopefully, they'll have a proper "ID" and one day go to the app store (which I doubt because it'll make the cost of already expensive software even more so since Apple wants a 30% cut).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Gatekeep sounds good. But if Adobe and Nik aren't on board with this for my Lightroom and Photoshop and Nik software combo, I might have to switch to Windows. Hopefully, they'll have a proper "ID" and one day go to the app store (which I doubt because it'll make the cost of already expensive software even more so since Apple wants a 30% cut).

Gatekeeper is designed to that developers don't have to go to the Mac App Store yet the authenticity of their apps can be verified from signed code. Your workflow with Adobe and Nik will not change regardless.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I suspect that Adobe will do their utmost to avoid going to the Mac App Store, at least not with their flagship paid apps, as 30% of their ludicrous costs is rather a lot to give up! They'll add slimmed down stuff like their iPad apps and such, but that's mostly to drive sales of the real thing I think.

Still, it isn't exactly hard for them to just sign their apps to play nice with Gatekeeper. Plus, if they don't then you can just switch Gatekeeper off temporarily, install, then switch it back on. Or, if you feel confident in the apps you choose to run, you can just leave it off, it's no big deal really.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Newsflash: cranky change-fearing journo reviews pre-beta OS to harvest page hits from rabid mac-fans !

Personally i like Lion. Yes, it needs more than 2gb RAM. RAM is 150 bucks for 16gb, or 8gb for peanuts.

the gestures, versions, and ability to restore a hosed OS with no media are steps in the right direction, imho.

For what it's worth, i PREFER mission control to expose`/spaces. My dashboard is finally useful with a 3 finger swipe.

I'm actually using launchpad more than the dock or spotlight to launch apps now, a simple pinch gesture, i don't need to navigate to the spotlight search or my dock. And i was as anti-launchpad as anyone when it first came out. I removed it from my dock, but the gesture actually saves me time.

Full screen with multiple monitors: i agree, it sucks - but if its that bad, don't use it, like OS X has been since 2001 in previous versions. However, on a laptop, it is awesome. Full screen + 3 finger swipe between apps = win.

I will concede, if i wasn't such a big trackpad user, Lion wouldn't be anywhere near as compelling (other than versions).... but I am, and I love it.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Option-click to run bypassing gatekeeper one time only is too hard for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.