Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
One annoying thing I often run into when listening to music while also browsing the web on my iPad is that some websites apparently have some kind of implementation of their media player that, even if nothing is actually playing, "takes over" the iPad's audio system and stops my music. I've tried a variety of ad blockers and settings adjustments, but have not found a way to stop this behavior. It does not occur on my Mac, because, of course, the Mac can deal with multiple audio streams.

In a news article a few weeks ago, I saw it mentioned that iPadOS was rumored to be adding this capability... does anyone know if that's actually the case?

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
One annoying thing I often run into when listening to music while also browsing the web on my iPad is that some websites apparently have some kind of implementation of their media player that, even if nothing is actually playing, "takes over" the iPad's audio system and stops my music. I've tried a variety of ad blockers and settings adjustments, but have not found a way to stop this behavior. It does not occur on my Mac, because, of course, the Mac can deal with multiple audio streams.

In a news article a few weeks ago, I saw it mentioned that iPadOS was rumored to be adding this capability... does anyone know if that's actually the case?
I can test this out for you on the first developer beta. One thing to note though is that if it’s absent in the first developer beta, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it won’t be implemented in a later beta, or possibly even a future public release of 17 within the next year. Sometimes Apple adds things like this mid-cycle, so it could pop up later. I’ve not heard anything official on it, though I’ve discovered several smaller system enhancements that weren’t mentioned in the keynote or even the preview page for iPadOS 17, so this might be something they’re working on. Obviously I can’t make any guarantees either way.

Reactions: macphoto861

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
I’m using iPadOS 17 beta ATM and there’s no change to that.

I’ve been reporting it as a feedback for the last 4 years and so far the responde is “There is support for multiple audio outs, but it depends on the app and its audio configuration.”.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’ve not heard anything official on it, though I’ve discovered several smaller system enhancements that weren’t mentioned in the keynote or even the preview page for iPadOS 17, so this might be something they’re working on. Obviously I can’t make any guarantees either way.
Because it hasn't been announced. And I highly doubt it makes it in this beta cycle... they might make some tweaks to Stage Manager. But adding a feature where apps can stream simultaneously is something they would have mentioned in the preview page of iPadOS 17 or in the keynote beforehand.

I’m using iPadOS 17 beta ATM and there’s no change to that.

I’ve been reporting it as a feedback for the last 4 years and so far the responde is “There is support for multiple audio outs, but it depends on the app and its audio configuration.”.
I think soon we will have that feature... given users can have multiple apps onscreen with Stage Manager, it's one of those aspects where its evidently missing. It was rumored to be announced for iPadOS 17, but it didn't make the list.

And I'd imagine having a feature where users can manage volumes of multiple apps would be somewhere in the Control Center (which was rumored to be redesigned).

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
And I'd imagine having a feature where users can manage volumes of multiple apps would be somewhere in the Control Center (which was rumored to be redesigned).

That’s exactly what I always thought. There’s no away to implement that in the current setup because that would be a mess - audio streams playing everywhere and no way to quickly control it.

We need a redesign on multiple levels or it may be restricted to stage manager. IDK.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That’s exactly what I always thought. There’s no away to implement that in the current setup because that would be a mess - audio streams playing everywhere and no way to quickly control it.

We need a redesign on multiple levels or it may be restricted to stage manager. IDK.
Yeah, the rumors claimed that feature was going to be restricted to Stage Manager, which I was highly excited about it.

And kudos to Apple for giving users better freedom of placing windows and resizing them, but I think that was something that could be added within iPadOS 16. Apple had a whole year to make changes or tweaks to Stage Manager and users only received that.

But I can't really criticize them too much when iPadOS 16 was such a huge leap for the iPad platform. And they finally gave us Final Cut Pro and Logic.

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
Yeah, the rumors claimed that feature was going to be restricted to Stage Manager, which I was highly excited about it.

And kudos to Apple for giving users better freedom of placing windows and resizing them, but I think that was something that could be added within iPadOS 16. Apple had a whole year to make changes or tweaks to Stage Manager and users only received that.

But I can't really criticize them too much when iPadOS 16 was such a huge leap for the iPad platform. And they finally gave us Final Cut Pro and Logic.

Yup; and I have this feeling that almost all resources in the past 12 months went to finish the first version of visionOS.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Thanks for the responses, though I'm disappointed to hear that this feature still hasn't been implemented. I keep thinking, SURELY some people at Apple use their iPads in this way too (listening to music while reading stuff on the web) and also encounter this problem, and would implement a fix (either multiple audio streams, or some kind of way to definitively mute Safari so that it doesn't take over the audio system unless the user specifically unmutes it).

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
Thanks for the responses, though I'm disappointed to hear that this feature still hasn't been implemented. I keep thinking, SURELY some people at Apple use their iPads in this way too (listening to music while reading stuff on the web) and also encounter this problem, and would implement a fix (either multiple audio streams, or some kind of way to definitively mute Safari so that it doesn't take over the audio system unless the user specifically unmutes it).

I’m sure of that. Great things are still coming to the iPad.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
It does seem to depend on the app. For example, I can play FTL on my iPad while listening to music/podcast/YouTube and you can hear both at the same time and neither will interrupt the other.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It does seem to depend on the app. For example, I can play FTL on my iPad while listening to music/podcast/YouTube and you can hear both at the same time and neither will interrupt the other.
Interesting. So, when controlling volume… you have to go into settings for the FTL game?

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Interesting. So, when controlling volume… you have to go into settings for the FTL game?

Yeah. For ages I put up with FTL being just a bit too loud compared to the podcast/YouTube/etc I was listening to. And then I realised of course, it's a PC game port, and sure enough it has its own volume control.

But of course software that a) plays audio without disrupting other audio and b) has its own volume settings are rare on the iPad.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Because it hasn't been announced. And I highly doubt it makes it in this beta cycle... they might make some tweaks to Stage Manager. But adding a feature where apps can stream simultaneously is something they would have mentioned in the preview page of iPadOS 17 or in the keynote beforehand.

I think soon we will have that feature... given users can have multiple apps onscreen with Stage Manager, it's one of those aspects where its evidently missing. It was rumored to be announced for iPadOS 17, but it didn't make the list.

With how Apple basically unified the macOS menu bar and iOS/iPadOS status bar along with control center, I suspect that the Now Playing in iPad’s control center will function like Now Playing on Mac, where all apps that output music will be listed.

Computers have been doing fine without it, macOS only recently added a way to manage all that with macOS Big Sur.

One thing Apple can do to indicate that an app is playing audio is what they already do in Safari for Mac, which is showing a sound glyph for each tab, so they can do that same for apps in the app switcher.

Likewise, implement the same Now Playing they do in macOS (which shows all apps that is outputting media).

Currently, apps can already overlap unless it’s outputting media.

Frustratingly, many apps unintentionally take this over and it becomes annoying.

You can’t even have multiple audio playing when you have multiple windows in stage manager. Truly baffling.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I wouldn’t necessarily assume that it won’t come in iPadOS 17, because there have been several nice refinements and new features that don’t get any mention in the Preview Page or the Keynote. I’m thinking we’re going to have to wait and see on this one. I wouldn’t get my hopes up or anything necessarily, but I also wouldn’t dismiss the possibility based off the preview page or keynote. Both seem to have skipped over or only very briefly mentioned very big improvements such as external webcam support. Not to mention the changes to the Shortcuts app. It really seems like the preview page was written hastily and didn’t get as much attention and detail as it normally would, and the keynote was obviously rushed in order to spend lots of time on the Vision Pro. Just my 2 cents, this year I wouldn’t necessarily count on all major or semi-major improvements being included in the preview page or keynote.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I wouldn’t necessarily assume that it won’t come in iPadOS 17, because there have been several nice refinements and new features that don’t get any mention in the Preview Page or the Keynote. I’m thinking we’re going to have to wait and see on this one.
Yeah, but something as huge as streaming multiple apps simultaneously will be something that's added to to the Preview Page or stated during the Keynote.

I could see it being released as part of a iPadOS 17.x feature.... but as it stands now I don't think that feature is coming during this beta cycle.

Just my 2 cents, this year I wouldn’t necessarily count on all major improvements being included in the preview page or keynote.
I have to disagree.

Refinements and certain features might be left off the preview page or keynote... but major improvements is something Apple will heavily market. They are known for their marketing genius and if there's a major improvement added to their OS it's going to be front and center.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I have to disagree.

Refinements and certain features might be left off the preview page or keynote... but major improvements is something Apple will heavily market. They are known for their marketing genius and if there's a major improvement added to their OS it's going to be front and center.
That’s fine, but to clarify, I said “major or semi-major” in my post, I don’t know why the quote only says “major”. I did go back through after I posted and edited a few things for clarity, so maybe that’s why? Anyways, I consider the changes in the Shortcuts app to be “major” changes, but they weren’t mentioned at all in the preview page or keynote. Same with the new options for external drives in the Files app, they weren’t mentioned in the preview page or keynote, not even in a blanket statement such as “various feature additions and improvements in the Files app”. They also didn’t make any mention whatsoever of multiple timers, but that’s included with iOS and iPadOS 17. Like I said, I think most of their marketing team probably focused on the Vision Pro, at the expense of the marketing for some of the existing platforms. That’s just my opinion, you don’t have to agree with me or anything, I just think the preview page is very poorly done compared to the usual quality of preview pages from other versions of iPadOS and iOS. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: 4087258

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Anyways, I consider the changes in the Shortcuts app to be “major” changes, but they weren’t mentioned at all in the preview page or keynote. Same with the new options for external drives in the Files app, they weren’t mentioned in the preview page or keynote, not even in a blanket statement such as “various feature additions and improvements in the Files app”. They also didn’t make any mention whatsoever of multiple timers, but that’s included with iOS and iPadOS 17. Like I said, I think most of their marketing team probably focused on the Vision Pro, at the expense of the marketing for some of the existing platforms. That’s just my opinion, you don’t have to agree with me or anything, I just think the preview page is very poorly done compared to the usual quality of preview pages from other versions of iPadOS and iOS. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I guess we see things differently and that's okay. I like the Shortcuts app... but I don't think its as popular as users make it out to be. Most of my friends and family don't use it.

And I peeped your thread about the new Files app... didn't know about it. But I wouldn't consider that to be something that warrant a shout out from the preview page or keynote.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I guess we see things differently and that's okay. I like the Shortcuts app... but I don't think its as popular as users make it out to be. Most of my friends and family don't use it.

And I peeped your thread about the new Files app... didn't know about it. But I wouldn't consider that to be something that warrant a shout out from the preview page or keynote.
That’s ok, I think your position is probably the wiser one, because we can count on anything they do publish in the preview page being included in iOS and iPadOS this year, while anything else is basically just conjecture. 👍🏻 I guess I tend to enjoy some of the smaller improvements and view some of these improvements as bigger than some others do. I think it all depends on perspective and what features are more useful for some people. I hope we get multiple audio streams eventually though, here’s for hoping it comes in a future update. 👍🏻

Reactions: Ludatyk

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Can you give some examples? I'm able to play audio from several different apps in iPadOS 17 but *only* if I'm using Stage Manager (this actually worked in iPadOS 16 too).

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
Is not working for me. What sites have you tested with?

It was youtube and D+.
But your comment made me test again and it’s not working this time.

Maybe a bug? We should analyze the patterns.
Thanks for the comment!

Reactions: Smici
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.