Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewOldStock

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2023
Any more News on this>anyone? Working or not working?
Stage Manager yes or no?
Sure would be nice. I emailed 2 other software companies a while back they said they had no answers.
Hate this type of lock down.

Funny someone mentioned windows 95 yup multi-streams way back when.

:mad::mad::mad:

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Any more News on this>anyone? Working or not working?
Stage Manager yes or no?
Sure would be nice. I emailed 2 other software companies a while back they said they had no answers.
Hate this type of lock down.

Funny someone mentioned windows 95 yup multi-streams way back when.

:mad::mad::mad:
I’m seriously curious, why does multiple audio streams playing at once matter? Wouldn’t it become a confusing mess of audio? To me, it seems like it would be like a situation where you have two people talking at once, can’t understand or focus on what either of them are saying. But maybe I’m misunderstanding the usecase?

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I’m seriously curious, why does multiple audio streams playing at once matter? Wouldn’t it become a confusing mess of audio? To me, it seems like it would be like a situation where you have two people talking at once, can’t understand or focus on what either of them are saying. But maybe I’m misunderstanding the usecase?
Just speaking for myself, I don't want/need to actually hear multiple streams at once. The problem I have is that, let's say I'm listening to music via the Music app while also reading news in Safari... some websites have video players on their pages that, even though they are not actively playing content, for some reason seize control of the iPad's audio output, which stops the Music app's playback. I've tried various means to stop this from happening (changing settings, using ad blockers, etc.), but have not had any luck.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Just speaking for myself, I don't want/need to actually hear multiple streams at once. The problem I have is that, let's say I'm listening to music via the Music app while also reading news in Safari... some websites have video players on their pages that, even though they are not actively playing content, for some reason seize control of the iPad's audio output, which stops the Music app's playback. I've tried various means to stop this from happening (changing settings, using ad blockers, etc.), but have not had any luck.
Ok, that makes sense. 👍🏻. I don’t really use music on my iPad, most of the time I play music on my phone. So I guess, I didn’t really realize that was a thing. But that makes sense. Hopefully it’s eventually added as an option. 👍🏻

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Ok, that makes sense. 👍🏻. I don’t really use music on my iPad, most of the time I play music on my phone. So I guess, I didn’t really realize that was a thing. But that makes sense. Hopefully it’s eventually added as an option. 👍🏻
Yeah, that's actually what I do most of the time now too (to avoid this issue)... music on the iPhone while I read on the iPad. But it would be nice to be able to do both with just the iPad, without having the annoyance of the music being stopped periodically.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Yeah, that's actually what I do most of the time now too (to avoid this issue)... music on the iPhone while I read on the iPad. But it would be nice to be able to do both with just the iPad, without having the annoyance of the music being stopped periodically.
Ya, that makes sense. 👍🏻. I hope they add it at some point. 👍🏻.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I want the iPad to handle multiple audio streams, too, but I can see that it could cause some issues. If you're in Stage Manager, sure, knock yourself out with multiple audio streams - music playing in one window and, maybe a game or web browser in another also playing. But allowing multiple audio streams while switching between fullscreen apps means you could lose track of which apps are playing audio and have to go searching for them to kill one.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I want the iPad to handle multiple audio streams, too, but I can see that it could cause some issues. If you're in Stage Manager, sure, knock yourself out with multiple audio streams - music playing in one window and, maybe a game or web browser in another also playing. But allowing multiple audio streams while switching between fullscreen apps means you could lose track of which apps are playing audio and have to go searching for them to kill one.
I would be happy just to have a way to reliably BLOCK Safari from taking over the audio system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.