Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PeerGynt

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
Just noticed that in Apple Music 1.3.0.138 Ventura i can no longer invoke filter in Recently added field.

I dont know about you guys, but i no longer can use this app. Apple worsen it with every update.

Does someone know how to properly roll music library back to iTunes? Two things that cannot be easily transfered is play counts and date added. This looks like a job for some script which will take this info from .xml file, then change date on mac and add lets say an album. Then use iTunes api (if it even exist) to apply play counts like iSyncr to android do. Sadly i dont have enough knowledge to make one.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
So, I just tried this again after restarting my MacBook and now it's working properly... Not sure what's going on there...
So this is happening on a regular basis - crossfade stops working via AirPods playback intermittently - the only remedy is to restart the Mac.

This bug must make the Music App consider any external (output) sound source as AirPlay and kills crossfade at some point as this does not happen initially.

Why crossfade, a very basic feature, still doesn't work via AirPlay all these years later is ridiculous, but now, there is this issue. I can't believe that I have to restart my Mac just to get this feature functioning - time and time again.

Is this happening to anyone else?

bhagemann

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
I can't be sure because the Music app on my iMac (2021 silicon) is the only thing that I use with airplay to push to an airport express that is connected to home stereo.. BUT this is happening here too. I run Music, have the imac internal speakers AND the airplay (to stereo) selected to have music at both. However sometimes I can get one or the other to work but not both at once, a typical issue is that the volume on iMac can't be adjusted but airplay speakers can... OR the speakers don't respond (airplay has the error symbol). Restarting Music doesn't help, rebooting the iMac fixes it till it happens again. So... I assume it is a system level issue with Ventura, it didn't happen till I installed a late beta in the summer and continues now.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Yes, crossfade never worked via AirPlay (not sure why, Sonos has had this basic function for years). But the issue at hand here is that for some reason, the Music app in Ventura is disabling crossfade with the use of AirPods as if the sound output to the AirPods is somehow getting confused as AirPlay, killing the crossfade functionality. At least that is my assumption.

And while I am here, I just need to vent about the fact that the app does not remember where you left off when exiting. Each time you launch Music it's as if it was just installed - all previously opened playlist folders are closed and you have no idea where you left off while editing playlists. I know this is a well known issue, it's just truly mind boggling how this is still a thing.

Also, I really wish they'd bring back the little spectrum analyzer in the 'now playing' window, and for the love of god, make the song playback time (and time remaining) persist without having to mouse-over!

And star ratings, I find them useful, but for some reason Apple thinks that always showing all 5 stars (as outlined unfilled stars) is somehow useful and not at all visibly messy versus just showing the shaded in stars as they're selected.

I honestly do not understand Apple these days. Less is definitely not more when it comes to ease of use and basic functionality. At the very least, offer a robust set of options for those of us who Apple must consider to be 'power users'. These are very simple things that should already be baked in (or fixed by now).

Everyone complained about iTunes being bloated and lacking functionality (or having awkward functionality), but the Music app does not have a light and airy feel compared to iTunes despite it looking and feeling more basic, and all while having less functionality than iTunes ever had (and lacking quality of life features/options). We literally gained nothing going from iTunes to Music.

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Some sync issues for older iPods fixed by installing ItunesAccess
iTunesAccess.pkg can not be installed on Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura because it tries to write in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks, location that is on the system volume/read-only.
Seeing as we are stuck with 1.0.5.14 for Catalina and 1.1.x for Big Sur, your best solution is probably to just install iTunes again. Yes, this still works in Ventura! (But sadly not for Apple Silicon)
Retroactive 2.0 should work on Apple Silicon https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive/releases
Just for playing media files and Internet radio, iTunes can be easily installed on Apple Silicon with any macOS.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-apple-silicon.2354390/

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Just noticed that in Apple Music 1.3.0.138 Ventura i can no longer invoke filter in Recently added field.

I dont know about you guys, but i no longer can use this app. Apple worsen it with every update.

Does someone know how to properly roll music library back to iTunes? Two things that cannot be easily transfered is play counts and date added. This looks like a job for some script which will take this info from .xml file, then change date on mac and add lets say an album. Then use iTunes api (if it even exist) to apply play counts like iSyncr to android do. Sadly i dont have enough knowledge to make one.
If you use iCloud music you can install it with retroactive and redownload everything, definitely not ideal. I have also been playing around with Dopplers 7 day trial. It can import your local files into its library although I found it to be pretty barebones for a 30$ app.

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2022
I think that Music app should be given a priority in the next Mac OS release. And it should be completely rewritten from the ground up to make it user friendly, smooth and consistent.

If you scroll through all the comments here, everyone is just asking for basic functionally. People just want an enjoyable app to listen to their music.

Basically, like something shown here

Reactions: Lvivske and tomtad

eLDeus

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013

Recover Apple Music collection from .itl library​

I have a backup with my old system High Sierra and iTunes Library which had the content from Apple Music and that doesn't sync with Apple Music for the unknown reason. An Apple guy assumed that the reason could be that I didn't pay for several months, but I believe it's not true.

Any suggestions on how can I recover my collection? I can't believe Apple removes Apple Music content from Apple accounts if the subscription is not being paid in a few months.

UPDATE:

I could able to open my backed-up iTunes library with all my Apple Music collection using Retrospective app suggested by bogdanw but it seems Apple rejects syncing it, showing the error message below, though I'm able to browse Apple Music content through the Browse tab. And the Genius isn't turned on, so there is no option like mentioned in the error.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 19.38.35.png

Am I right that in my case all that is possible is to use that backed-up library as a list of my artists, albums, and playlists to add all I need from that to the new Music library that syncs normally? It will be long and hard work, but better than nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Klschmann

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2020
Washington, DC
I noticed a weird bug after updating from to Ventura from Monterey where play counts do not increment up for the last song on an album or playlist if played via anything other than the Mac's speakers. The last song also does not get added to my Recently Played smart playlist either, so it's like it's being skipped even though the song was played.

Play counts update for all other songs on a playlist or album so this is just an issue impacting the last song. I have replicated this numerous times and it happens with connected AirPods (Pro and Max) and HomePods (OG and Mini).

This is using locally saved media only, I cannot speak to what it does with Apple Music subs. This didn't happen at all with Monterey and is not happening on my iPhone or iPad.

Anyone else experiencing this?

TonyM42

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
Reading UK
For me, play counts has a mind of its own - Tunes I play on my MacBook Pro M1 register immediately as soon as the song/tune in question has finished; however when I play iTunes on my iPhone, usually in the car via a bluetooth link, only the first tune played that day shows in the MacBook PlayCount register - any subsequent tunes played show up the following day when iPhone and MacBook sync! It's been that way for a quite a few months now and Ive got used to it!!

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
For me, play counts has a mind of its own - Tunes I play on my MacBook Pro M1 register immediately as soon as the song/tune in question has finished; however when I play iTunes on my iPhone, usually in the car via a bluetooth link, only the first tune played that day shows in the MacBook PlayCount register - any subsequent tunes played show up the following day when iPhone and MacBook sync! It's been that way for a quite a few months now and Ive got used to it!!

Yeah, that bug exists since some years now. I doubt it will ever be fixed. :(

dd852

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
I noticed a weird bug after updating from to Ventura from Monterey where play counts do not increment up for the last song on an album or playlist if played via anything other than the Mac's speakers. The last song also does not get added to my Recently Played smart playlist either, so it's like it's being skipped even though the song was played.

Play counts update for all other songs on a playlist or album so this is just an issue impacting the last song. I have replicated this numerous times and it happens with connected AirPods (Pro and Max) and HomePods (OG and Mini).

This is using locally saved media only, I cannot speak to what it does with Apple Music subs. This didn't happen at all with Monterey and is not happening on my iPhone or iPad.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes - I have that bug and hate it! I've tried reporting it via the webform to apple, but I assume that's a fool's errand. As I never use the Mac speakers, I hadn't noticed that there was an exception! I've added a “silent” track and created a playlist for that, and now just routinely add it to the end of any playlist or album I want to play.

pjanoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
Does this annoy anyone else? It's on the recently added section of Music, been there for a while now, a useless empty space at the top of the library. It's so ugly I'm wondering if it's a bug on my computer or it's an intended "feature"?

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 22.28.34.png

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Anyone else have an impossible time with keeping the media folder on an external drive? This is nothing sudden, just a slow painful degradation that's finally become unusable with Ventura. Tracks get skipped, it will say it can't find a file even though it's right where it should be (but then hit cancel and it plays fine). Music would change the library location to the startup drive for no reason, then would throw errors when I tried to consolidate the library, etc. It got to where I could get about three tracks to play before Music just stopped playing anything until I quit and restarted.

Thought maybe it was a drive issue, but the disk checks out fine (sandisk SSD).

I went through a bunch of things trying to make it work but I finally ended up just removing all the downloads (12,500 of them) and running Music off the cloud. Works fine that way, but if I redownload any tracks, even just a few, the same problems return.

I'd try running Music with he default library location but I don't have room. This is on an iMac Pro. Frustrating.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Responding to my own post with what I think was the problem/solution. The drive in question had never been reformatted to APFS, and I was reading a different thread about people having issues with the MacOS Extended volumes. So, since I'd already deleted all the files, I reformatted the disk as APFS and downloaded around 100 files to test. So far, so good - no errors on downloading, every song plays reliably, and everything is fairly snappy.

So there you go, music apparently demands APFS volumes.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yay. All my 200+ playlists and folders duplicated for no reason and now I have to painfully (beachbally) go through and delete each duplicate individually again.

Klschmann

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2020
Washington, DC
Yes - I have that bug and hate it! I've tried reporting it via the webform to apple, but I assume that's a fool's errand. As I never use the Mac speakers, I hadn't noticed that there was an exception! I've added a “silent” track and created a playlist for that, and now just routinely add it to the end of any playlist or album I want to play.

This is a clever idea, thank you!

This has not been resolved with the most recent update so I'll use this workaround. Seems ridiculous to have to create a workaround for something like this that should just work (never had a problem like this prior to Ventura) but it is what it is I guess.

Where could I report this as well? I'm sure it'll be for nothing but it may give peace of mind if nothing else.

Haminski

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2022
After a restart of the app the sorting changes from "Album by Artist/Year" to "Album" in smart playlists.
I can see this bug mentioned in the OP, but has anyone else experienced this issue with the Songs view? It's so annoying to have to keep re-sorting it every time I open the app.

This is on a clean install of 13.2 on a brand new M2 Max MBP on Music version 1.3.3.2 - I thought it may be a bug with the version of Music, but I'm running the same version on my work MBP on the same version of macOS and the sort order is saved when restarting the Music app.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I can see this bug mentioned in the OP, but has anyone else experienced this issue with the Songs view? It's so annoying to have to keep re-sorting it every time I open the app.

This is on a clean install of 13.2 on a brand new M2 Max MBP on Music version 1.3.3.2 - I thought it may be a bug with the version of Music, but I'm running the same version on my work MBP on the same version of macOS and the sort order is saved when restarting the Music app.

Yes, I‘ve had this since Monterey.

The new Ventura Music that really, really annoys me, however is bottom scrollbar always appearing everytime I switch between playlists although all columns are easily contained in the window size. If you toggle playing next or lyrics (forcing the popover) it solves it, but then any navigation between lists and it reappears.

All. The. F’ing. Time

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.