Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Ran the IMEI in dev.mk (used it for IMEI-lock status checking in the past, the person who bought my 4S through Craigslist ran it to confirm, and I did it to confirm I got my dad's 4S unlocked as soon as AT&T said it's ready to go on their end over the phone... and it's been 100% accurate in my experience. I even just put in a family member's 4 that is for sure still locked, and it confirmed it) on my fully subsidized iPhone 5 and it is unlocked!

Not sure if Apple/AT&T will issue a carrier update, but I might decline it for fear that it will re-lock until the word is out. I also don't have another nano sim to physically confirm

What stirred my curiosity was the model number of my 32GB black: MD636LL

Also, when I pre-ordered on Apple site, it stated it was the GSM model with AT&T in parentheses. So I wondered if that would take the back burner (the carrier to the technology, a lot of times places sell phones marketed as 'GSM' inferring that they are unlocked).

Historically, for 4S, factory unlocked models are MDxxxLL/A whereas carrier locked are MCxxxLL/A.

Any one else? This is great :D

My dad's early upgrade iPhone 5 16GB black is stating the same (model MD634LL).

All I need now is jailbreak (hurry up chpwn and crew! I have faith considering Jailbreak con is next week and great things happen when they get together, i.e. the Amsterdam conference and as a result, Absinthe for 5.1.1

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
How do you check the status on their website?

My 16GB iPhone 5 ordered directly from AT&T is also an MDxxxLA/A model.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Dev.mk -> extras tab -> devmk imei checker.

it used to be on the front page.

On the phone (or you can read it off the back of the box where the UPC is):
Settings -> General -> About

scroll down.

I also wonder if Apple could take a batch of IMEI's and lock them without pushing a carrier update of some type to the phone itself. Maybe they've just been too slow to add them all. Still, seems like it should be locked from the start.

Though, I don't know that it can be remotely locked. I think you'd need that carrier update or do a sofware update/restore. But I'm no IMEI-sleezy lock procedure expert :)

Juicy111

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
I saw a news article on this.

In fact you can pop in an AT&T nano-sim in a verizon iphone 5 and you'll get hspa+ speeds.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

In fact you can pop in an AT&T nano-sim in a verizon iphone 5 and you'll get hspa+ speeds.

Yeah I saw that too. No surprise though as this was the case with Verizon iPad 3.

I wonder if the sub-LTE spectrum (faux G, 3G, EDGE) is GSM unlocked for ALL iphones 5?

Wouldnt that be fantastic?

the AT&T model LTE bands only works in NA anyways, so getting that aspect unlocked for overseas would be totally moot to me (unless I hopped up to Canada and wanted to do pre-paid LTE, assuming thats even available, but not by any means a *deal breaker* or cause of concern for my usage)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Ran the IMEI in dev.mk (used it for IMEI-lock status checking in the past, the person who bought my 4S through Craigslist ran it to confirm, and I did it to confirm I got my dad's 4S unlocked as soon as AT&T said it's ready to go on their end over the phone... and it's been 100% accurate in my experience. I even just put in a family member's 4 that is for sure still locked, and it confirmed it) on my fully subsidized iPhone 5 and it is unlocked!

I'm thinking it might just be bad data from dev.mk. My IMEI turns up the same. Too bad we don't have any other nano-SIMS to check it out, though.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

One difference, though, is that Verizon had to agree to unlock their phones when they got their license for the Band C LTE. Supposedly all their new LTE phones are unlocked. I haven't been able to verify this. Perhaps someone with a Droid RAZR or SIII can check this out, as well.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012

Not sure if Apple/AT&T will issue a carrier update, but I might decline it for fear that it will re-lock until the word is out. I also don't have another nano sim to physically confirm

Also, when I pre-ordered on Apple site, it stated it was the GSM model with AT&T in parentheses. So I wondered if that would take the back burner (the carrier to the technology, a lot of times places sell phones marketed as 'GSM' inferring that they are unlocked).

Historically, for 4S, factory unlocked models are MDxxxLL/A whereas carrier locked are MCxxxLL/A.

All I need now is jailbreak (hurry up chpwn and crew! I have faith considering Jailbreak con is next week and great things happen when they get together, i.e. the Amsterdam conference and as a result, Absinthe for 5.1.1

I checked with your checker and mine is same product model as yours and mine says unlocked. However, I don't believe this to be true. Sure way to tell is to take it to an Apple store and they can look that up. I had to do it with my unlocked 4S. I think I'm going to go check with them tonight. Very curious :confused:

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Yep, same here...

imei1.jpg

Need to get a hold of a TMobile micro SIM then cut it to nano size and try to see if it works. How crazy would that be?

Scoop24

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
New York
i just ran it IMEI # on my Sprint Iphone 5 it came back as Unlocked

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 8.33.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 8.33.10 PM.png
    18 KB · Views: 166

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I say this is a load of crap. My 32GB black shows unlocked as well, which does not make sense. Why would AT&T leave their phone unlocked? Mine is still in the box btw

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yes, I'm guessing Dev.MK just has bad data. We'll find out for sure when Nano-SIMs become available.

I don't think so though. I've never seen dev.mk hiccup in terms of accuracy up until iphone 5 launch.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
you have to fulfill the contract, unlocked or not

That never stopped them from locking it before. Heck, it's only in the last few months that they finally started unlocking iPhones at the end of their contracts.

JLee361

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Texas

Chpwn has already jailbroken the iPhone 5 on iOS 6 just a while ago and tweeted the pictures so it shouldn't take too long for a public release since they have a working vulnerability. Might be the fastest jailbreak in the iPhone's history.

Whobarra

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
California
looking forward to the jailbreak strictly for the unrestricted function I know they will find the exploit they always do... iOS 6 is nice though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.