Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I couldn't successfully restore. Said my iPhone 5 was in eligible for the requested build after downloading stock iOS 6 in iTunes.

Weird.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
mine says unlocked too.. tempted to cut one of my prepaid tmobile sims to nano size and try it out

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I couldn't successfully restore. Said my iPhone 5 was in eligible for the requested build after downloading stock iOS 6 in iTunes.

Weird.

Try a different computer. If you've ever used tiny umbrella that changes the host file you have to go in and change it. I've had this problem before

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
oooo it is tinyumbrella.

thanks !

Still, now I'm afraid to restore and get it re-locked :D

How can dev.mk show every phone as unlocked? This might be the case with 5, but a 4 I have laying around that is locked shows locked.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Whoa...I just checked my old 4S, which is locked, and Dev.mk shows LOCKED! Maybe there is something to this!

----------

My wife's old 4 also shows locked!

AllenW

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
Austin, TX
Mine says unlocked as well, restored and iTunes did not display a message stating it is unlocked...Wish I had another nano sim...

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I checked at dev.mk with a 4 that I unlocked today using instructions from AT&T, and it showed unlocked. My 4S shows locked, which it should be. Both show correct warranty information

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I checked at dev.mk with a 4 that I unlocked today using instructions from AT&T, and it showed unlocked. My 4S shows locked, which it should be. Both show correct warranty information

However, if you look elsewhere on the site, you'll see that Apple has made some changes that have messed them up in the past. They may have good data on the 4S but not the 5.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
However, if you look elsewhere on the site, you'll see that Apple has made some changes that have messed them up in the past. They may have good data on the 4S but not the 5.

What evidence do you have to confirm this?

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
I got unlocked for my 5 and locked for my 4s on that website. iphoneox.com says unknown and locked respectively. I stopped by t-mobile on my way home and picked up a sim card (they gave it to me for free). They said I would need a $10 activation kit to try it but I didn't think that was worth it, and thought I would see what would happen without it.

I put the microsim in my 4s. It began walking me through activation steps until I got "SIM Not Valid" and instructions to only use a supported carrier's SIM.

I trimmed it down to nano size and popped it in the 5. I got the same message.

:(

It could just be because I didn't activate it for $10, so this isn't conclusive by any means, I was just experimenting.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It doesn't say anything about iPhone 5 data being unreliable in that link.

And this article dates from a little over a month ago.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Whoa...I just checked my old 4S, which is locked, and Dev.mk shows LOCKED! Maybe there is something to this!

----------

My wife's old 4 also shows locked!

My Sprint 4s shows un-locked on Dev.mk on iPhoneox.com shows unknown.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I put the microsim in my 4s. It began walking me through activation steps until I got "SIM Not Valid" and instructions to only use a supported carrier's SIM.

It could just be because I didn't activate it for $10, so this isn't conclusive by any means, I was just experimenting.

No, even if the SIM is not activated it should still not throw the "SIM not valid" message.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I got unlocked for my 5 and locked for my 4s on that website. iphoneox.com says unknown and locked respectively. I stopped by t-mobile on my way home and picked up a sim card (they gave it to me for free). They said I would need a $10 activation kit to try it but I didn't think that was worth it, and thought I would see what would happen without it.

SIM not valid means phone is locked. Activation of SIM is irrelevant. Makes sense your 4S would say that as it's confirmed locked.

Almost de-bunked, unless your converted micro-to-nano got botched in the process.

never used iphoneox.com either so cant comment on reliability. maybe they just don't have their hand in the iPhone 5 sugar bowl?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Right, but I still don't see how in any way that particular article confirms your suspicions of it being a mistake showing unlocked.

zeeyo987

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
ok so i have a sprint iphone 4s dev.mk says its unlocked and s-url.ro says it is locked, and it is ACTUALLY LOCKED im using a gevey right now to unlock. **** i hope it comes unlocked i have a sprint iphone 5 waiting for me at home. does anyone have a sprint iphone 5 that they tried to use with a different sim with any luck??

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
SIM not valid means phone is locked. Activation of SIM is irrelevant. Makes sense your 4S would say that as it's confirmed locked.

Almost de-bunked, unless your converted micro-to-nano got botched in the process.

I am pretty sure I got the conversion cutting right for what it's worth. I converted my 4s ATT micro to a nano which worked after the conversion in both the 4s and the 5. I used the exact same careful process with the T-Mobile SIM.

I also restored the phone in iTunes without getting the congrats message.

I think next I'll purchase a phone IMEI check on ebay and see what they say.

----------

Ok, the ebay IMEI checker auction has been pulled :(

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Ok for kicks I bought an iPhone 5 unlock which is over priced at the moment, but oh well. I'll report back when they process it and we'll see what happens.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Hey what do you know my Verizon iPhone 5 can use AT&T sims and get 4g HSPA+!

Straight out of the box, what do ya know.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hey what do you know my Verizon iPhone 5 can use AT&T sims and get 4g HSPA+!

Straight out of the box, what do ya know.

Yes, there's a front page article about that. Unfortunately, those of us who have a reason to stay with AT&T (such as grandfathered unlimited plans) don't have much choice. LTE is the big attraction. If I wanted to stick with HSPA+, I'd just keep the 4S.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011

I just made myself an adaptor of sorts converting it back to micro, and popped it in my iPad 3. It shows up as connected to T-Mobile just fine, it just doesn't give me data (obviously). I do NOT get any Invalid SIM messages on my factory unlocked iPad.

I think we can call this one as a faulty website, and the subsidized phones are in fact locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.