Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Hey guys, Im posting this here before I go to the Apple Store, see what you guys think. For two days now the screen have been displaying a weird intermittent white block on the left lower side every time that I have open 2 or more apps and do a three fingers swipe up to mission control and then back to one of the apps which are not running full screen. The only way it goes away it's to do the same thing again. What in the hell will this be? I attached a picture for you guys to see. Any feedback is appreciated. It is the latest model 27 inch Retina with the R390 card. IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Interestingly, it only happens when one of the apps open is iTunes."

That sounds like a "software glitch".

Probably not related to a hardware defect or failure.

Reactions: vkd

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
"Interestingly, it only happens when one of the apps open is iTunes."

That sounds like a "software glitch".

Probably not related to a hardware defect or failure.

Do you mean like related to iTunes? I think I'm going to take it to the Apple Store because I haven't found a way to fix this.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Do you mean like related to iTunes? I think I'm going to take it to the Apple Store because I haven't found a way to fix this.

Test to find out if it ONLY specifically happens with iTunes. If so, problem solved. Quit iTunes and use VLC Player ;)

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
If you don't have video diagnostics software on your machine, I'd definitely take it to the Apple store, show them the issue and allow them to run full video diagnostics. Trying to replicate this issue by simply running other apps could be tedious, unproductive and, even if reproduced, inconclusive. Having the hardware checked will give you peace of mind. Also, running Apple's hardware test is a good way to start the search.

btw: please post back and let the MR community know the results. iMacs run hot, so video failures are old news; part of Apple's form over function marketing.

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
Sounds like a driver issue. if you had an Nvidia card, you could just try to update it, but im pretty sure iMacs only have AMD cards. perhaps try to reinstall OSX?

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
Sounds like a driver issue
Maybe but you'd need more information than a casual screen shot and general appraisal thereof; Running the software testing tools ( TechToolPro is one - no affliation here ) and doing hardware checks first seems more prudent and would provide solid information that casual observation does not.
perhaps try to reinstall OSX
Presumably that simply re-installs the same software driver already on the machine, so it has the potential to be unproductive.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
If you don't have video diagnostics software on your machine, I'd definitely take it to the Apple store, show them the issue and allow them to run full video diagnostics. Trying to replicate this issue by simply running other apps could be tedious, unproductive and, even if reproduced, inconclusive. Having the hardware checked will give you peace of mind. Also, running Apple's hardware test is a good way to start the search.

btw: please post back and let the MR community know the results. iMacs run hot, so video failures are old news; part of Apple's form over function marketing.

Sure thing. I just returned from my nearest Apple Store, where I showed them the issue as I recorded it on my phone before taking the computer there since I'm working right now, I have an appointment later today where I'll be taking the computer in to see what's going on.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
OK guys, so I just came back from the Apple Store. Without the computer. The issue was still present, so we ran some diagnostics, and the weird thing is that everything was fine, no problems were found. So, we wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of the OS, alright, the Genius Bar guy was pretty certain that everything was fixed, so I made sure by repeating the steps that caused the issue, and yes it was still there. What the hell, it's a clean install and the issue persists with iTunes open as one of the apps. Something is corrupted? We'll see in 3 to 5 days when they get a technician there. And now I don't have a computer. Thankfully I'm still inside the warranty period.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Previous problems used to be with graphics drivers when the system gets updated (without a fresh install).
However this may be something that the new version of iTunes fixes.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Agreed. I have the 390, and haven't had ANY issues at all with my graphics card. Doubt this to be a software issue, almost certain this to be an irregular graphics card issue.

Indeed, once the issue wasn't fixed there when we did the erasing and then clean install of the OS, then it's a hardware problem, I believe. Nonetheless I am still intrigued with the iTunes role in this. It only happened when one of the apps open was iTunes. I was so angry, since this is the first time I've had a problem with any Mac I've ever owned.

DonnerJack

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
Indeed, once the issue wasn't fixed there when we did the erasing and then clean install of the OS, then it's a hardware problem, I believe. Nonetheless I am still intrigued with the iTunes role in this. It only happened when one of the apps open was iTunes. I was so angry, since this is the first time I've had a problem with any Mac I've ever owned.
don't take it the wrong way, but it's a complex product. Complex systems fail. Statistics are just that - there is a percentage of hardware failure, but as you stated, this is your first Mac with a hardware problem. I can't even keep track of the number of computer parts or measurement equipment that died on me along the years. Don't get angry over a computer, it's not worth it, and it happens.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Ok guys, back with an update. Not good, I came back from the Apple store, they called me to pick it up. They say nothing was wrong with the computer on the hardware side. OK that is out of the question, but, its the software I'm sure of it. I tested it at the store, iTunes and any other app, nothing, everything was good. Went home and entered my Apple ID and the latest update to iTunes, which I didn't do and should have done at the store, and everything went to **** again.It is definitely related to fu**** iTunes. I don't know what to do. I'm gonna have to take it in again.

Can you guys try this, mainly anyone with the latest iMac with the R390, I want to make sure that this is a isolated problem and not something related with the latest iTunes update that is fu**** things up. Open iTunes (not full screen) and Safari or any other app (not full screen either), bring up mission control, then there select the iTunes app (with the mouse or trackpad), bring up mission control again, and then select the other app that was open, look carefully if anything appears on the screen for a glimpse. This is what happens to me, btw this size of the apps it's when is more noticeable. Any help is appreciated.
IMG_0339.JPG

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Does the "stair stepping" effect on the left stay on the screen or is it just there for a moment or two and dissappears? If it's just there momentarily if could be a programming bug since it appears isolated to iTunes.

I take it you've done the usual:
run disk first aid
zap the pram
reset smc

If that doesn't fix it it would appear an itunes related issue. What happens when you try to run the iTunes visualizer? Same thing?

If the stair stepping effect stays on the screen try reducing the resolution on the screen as a test - does the "stairstepping" still appear? Does it not appear? Does it move?

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Does the "stair stepping" effect on the left stay on the screen or is it just there for a moment or two and dissappears? If it's just there momentarily if could be a programming bug since it appears isolated to iTunes.

I take it you've done the usual:
run disk first aid
zap the pram
reset smc

If that doesn't fix it it would appear an itunes related issue. What happens when you try to run the iTunes visualizer? Same thing?

If the stair stepping effect stays on the screen try reducing the resolution on the screen as a test - does the "stairstepping" still appear? Does it not appear? Does it move?

It just stays there in a intermittent matter, but stays and will only go away by pulling up mission control again and selecting the other app open again, if I select iTunes and then the other app the bug appears. Say: iTunes - Safari - bug appears, Safari - Safari - bug does not appears. Everything on the hardware side is fine. I haven't tried changing the resolution, I will try that when I get home from work. Also I noticed that that when I brought it back that the itunes app at the bottom does not have the corners rounded like all other apps it looks like "unfinished" for the lack of a better word.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Ok guys, back with an update. Not good, I came back from the Apple store, they called me to pick it up. They say nothing was wrong with the computer on the hardware side. OK that is out of the question, but, its the software I'm sure of it. I tested it at the store, iTunes and any other app, nothing, everything was good. Went home and entered my Apple ID and the latest update to iTunes, which I didn't do and should have done at the store, and everything went to **** again.It is definitely related to fu**** iTunes. I don't know what to do. I'm gonna have to take it in again.

Can you guys try this, mainly anyone with the latest iMac with the R390, I want to make sure that this is a isolated problem and not something related with the latest iTunes update that is fu**** things up. Open iTunes (not full screen) and Safari or any other app (not full screen either), bring up mission control, then there select the iTunes app (with the mouse or trackpad), bring up mission control again, and then select the other app that was open, look carefully if anything appears on the screen for a glimpse. This is what happens to me, btw this size of the apps it's when is more noticeable. Any help is appreciated. View attachment 635754

Anyone tried? Nothing?

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
Perhaps, but wouldn't we all those M390 owners also be reporting this issue?

Well, let me tell you guys. I found the problem while I was at the Apple Store yet again to solve the problem. I thought about it a lot, since it was clearly not a hardware problem, then it was definitely iTunes. And indeed it was. I checked a couple of iMacs, Macbook Pros, Airs etc. and they ALL have the fricking software bug., we all have it if you are running the latest version of iTunes 12.4.1. It was so funny seeing the face of the Genius guy when I showed him on 3 or 4 macs at the store, he was in shock. He took a video with me replicating the issue on a iMac and said that he was going to send it to the engineers at Apple. Hell, I should definitely get more than a thank you from them :)

This is how the bug happens: Open iTunes and any other app not in full screen neither, pull up Mission Control, select iTunes with the mouse, pull up Mission Control again, then select Safari (the app that I see makes the graphic bug look bigger) and you will see that it will appear something like this in this photo. If you position both apps like in the photo, that square will appear, if the apps are in other positions the glitch will appear in a different way. Let me know guys, remember it happens with the latest version of iTunes.
IMG_0339.JPG

Reactions: Goatllama

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
That explains it, I try to never use Safari on my iMac, so I have chrome running if I use iTunes.
I do use Safari just for facebook on my MBA, but do not use iTunes at all on my MBA while on facebook.

No wonder this bug was elusive, I just wouldn't replicate it normally at all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is how the bug happens: Open iTunes and any other app not in full screen neither, pull up Mission Control, select iTunes with the mouse, pull up Mission Control again, then select Safari (the app that I see makes the graphic bug look bigger) and you will see that it will appear something like this in this photo.
I've tried multiple times, and I'm still not able to get what you describe to work. I keep swapping between iTunes and Safari in Mission Control and nothing shows up. I'm not sure what to say, while I don't disagree with your assessment, this bug evidently is not affecting everyone.

My configuration is that I have the 2015 M395 5k iMac.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
I've tried multiple times, and I'm still not able to get what you describe to work. I keep swapping between iTunes and Safari in Mission Control and nothing shows up. I'm not sure what to say, while I don't disagree with your assessment, this bug evidently is not affecting everyone.

My configuration is that I have the 2015 M395 5k iMac.

Are you running the latest version of iTunes? 12.4.1. Every mac I tried at the Apple Store did it.Also try to put both apps the same way that I have them in the picture before doing the mission control thing, it stays bigger like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.