Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Tape does nothing to a SIM card. SIM cards have gold contact points, and as we know, gold is a very inert metal and is known to not react with other elements. So a little of adhessive will not harm it.

still...

taping the tray would be less harmless. but whatever lol.

N1CKOLAS

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
ok, it worked for me. i never had a dropped call or had searching for signal but my bars would go down. i had done some speed tests before and when touched, it would go from 3 mbps to around 300-700 kbps or the test would just stop. now, no matter how i hold it, or for how long, i get a consistent 3 mbps.

in the same boat, never lost my signal completely, but the bars did go down for me as well. I just pulled out the SIM card and my card was actually a bit loose, not making contact with the tray. Just to be safe while I had the card out, I placed a small strip of tape on the area that could potentially touch. Put the card back in, and now virtually no signal loss.

This is an extremely quick experiment. Worst case you spend 2 minutes and it doesn't work. Amazing find.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
There has to be some kind of smartphone engineer on MR who can comment on the efficacy of this little mod???

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
As I said before, I'm in a "no drop zone" right now but am able to do it at my current work location. I just pulled my SIM and, like others, it is making contact with the tray. I managed to shave a tiny bit off the outer edge of the card so its not making contact. Will try tomorrow and report back.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
No luck here :(
Before: Reliably drop but slowly in my basement
Reseated sim and had immediate drop to no signal
Put electrical tape over contact point with return to the 'before' - remains with slow drop. Have reseated it multiple times but can't get it to hold at 4-5 bars.
E

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I found "non-conductive material is coated on the inside of the tray".

Interesting that no one noticed this. It could explain why not everyone can fix the issue. If it is not conducting there could still be some kind of interference. This is where Apple could give more answers. Let's hope they come forward. :apple:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
One thing I notice is that the "scrapes" on the sim card are awfully close to the side - is it possible one of the phone's contacts is directly touching the sim tray?

Sustainability

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I don't have an IP4 (yet) but this thread definitely interests me for obvious reasons.

One question. How does the sim card interact with the phone once it is inside the phone? By this I mean how is the card transmitting data? Is there a receiver that just touches the card itself?

I opened up my iPhone 3G and looked at the sim card and it is perfectly centered within the tray - which makes me wonder why they would design a tray that would hold a card so off-center?

I'm sure that bridging the antennas is still the biggest issue, but if the card is also contacting the antenna frame then it would make sense that all of the cellular information is being disrupted through this bridging.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
No luck here :(
Before: Reliably drop but slowly in my basement
Reseated sim and had immediate drop to no signal
Put electrical tape over contact point with return to the 'before' - remains with slow drop. Have reseated it multiple times but can't get it to hold at 4-5 bars.
E

put tape on the tray instead.

what kind of tape are you using?

RodChester

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
No luck for me. I took my SIM out for 20 minutes and applied some electrical tape along the edge like everyone else has and I still lose my bars when I bridge the antennas. Oh well. Hopefully Apple gets their fix out soon.

catmistake

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
You don't need to wait the 20 minutes. The OP's experience had a 20 minute delay so he included that info but time has nothing to do with this fix, it's a contact issue not a reset issue.

I just wanted consider speculation on that very issue! Can we please just speculate, a little? I mean, could others be allowed to continue speculating, even though you have it all figured?

SpyderDriver

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
I called a friend with a voltmeter. He tested his iPhone 4 sim tray and said that the tray is conductive but the inside edge with the coating is non-conductive. Just FYI.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I applied a thin strip of electrical tape on the sim where it touches the tray, powered it on, and no dice.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
i admit this could be psychological, but my bars seemes to drop almost INSTANTLY after my attempts .. LOL something seems to be going on, but it could just be the shrooms.......i am now waiting 16 more minutes.. and i put electrical tape on the side of the sim card to boot

will advise

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
I don't know how this works, but all I did was eject the microsim, take the sim out of the tray, look at it a little, put it back, wiggle around in the tray a little, reinserted tray and started the phone back up.

I'm now gripping the phone tight, wifi turned off, and the 3g signal is doing just fine - calls are fine too. Hope everyone else gets their phones fixed! This is definitely the root of the problem imo..

My iPhone4 now works as advertised. Relief, finally!

catmistake

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
There has to be some kind of smartphone engineer on MR who can comment on the efficacy of this little mod???

^^

I hope there's at least a few... and at least one qualified that disagrees. And they talk about it. It'd be better than the confirmation hearings.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
I can just see Steve Jobs now:

"See, I told you it wasn't a problem with the phone."

Response: "But the issue apparently has something to do with the microSIM."

SJ: "We don't make those, that's AT&T's problem."
R: "Yes but the issue comes not from the microSIM but the tray it sits in, which is something that Apple designed."
SJ: "Well, no, the microSIMs aren't working right in our trays, it's not our fault."
R: "But it sure appears that way."
SJ: "What, do you believe everything you see?"
R: "No."
SJ: "So, the fault lies with the microSIMs because they don't fit our perfect trays, not our problem."
R: "It's not quite that easy, you'--"
SJ: "No, I don't."

and that's about it.

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
Worked partially for me, in that instead of going to 'No Service' it just loses 2-3 bars.
Plus, when I avoid the corner, I'm now getting full bars which didn't happen before this manoeuvre.

(O2: payasgo microsim)

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
If this is about bridging and contact then why am I still able to make signal drop by covering the left side with a case on (Speck Candyshell), two phones. Is that bound to happen regardless?

I have full bars, cover the left side and it starts dropping, with case. Or is it not about the bridging with the finger anymore.

Is it possible that reseating the SIM makes it look for the best tower when re-inserted and it's just a switch in towers?

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
To a point I am, I am still trying to conceive a theory on why some people's phones seem to not work despite the SIM issues.

I think it has to do with the alignment of how the gold contacts are printed onto the sim. The one side of the sim's contacts are right on the edge of the board whereas the opposite side has a nice gap. Had the contacts been shifted just 1 mm from the close end there would not be a problem.

Some sims may have been printed with a little more fudge room and others not, this is simply a tolerance in manufacturing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.