Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
Wait - flip it over and let me see how it's sitting in the tray after you cut it. I don't see how the SIM is causing any issues

I got it to work! Here are some pictures, I apologize for the poor quality.

First of all - Mine did not wiggle. - I HAD TO SLIGHTLY CUT THE OPPOSITE END OF THE CONTACTS. It cuts very easily with scissors. Be careful you do not cut too much or the sim will not sit in the tray!

Before:
photofl.jpg

After:
photdo.jpg

I realize the pictures look similar. But there is a gap between the contacts and that is enough to fix it! No dropped calls, calls go instantly and no bars lost in any grip!

Better quality pictures coming.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
haha didn't read through it all. skipped a few pages.

btw guys, DON'T tape your sim card... jeeze, do you wanna ruin it?

maybe apple needs to send out plastic sim trays?

Tape does nothing to a SIM card. SIM cards have gold contact points, and as we know, gold is a very inert metal and is known to not react with other elements. So a little of adhessive will not harm it.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
Are people really this desperate for a solution?

This can't be the primary problem. Maybe the OP had another problem which was fixed by taking the SIM out. But its not reasonable to think this is the primary reception problem people are having. SIM cards are not part of the RF reception path. Its a digital card which provides information to the phone about your account and the providers network. Not analog, no RF.

But, it does appear to be working for some people though. There very well may be other reception issues involved, but at least a few people now have better reception than they did before. It's something.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I am not 100% convinced. I do not have a call drop issue at all, but I so have the bars drop a little when I touch the lower left corner, but never looses signal. My sim is contacting the tray and it was also printed a little of (about the width of the tray side that is touching). I added a sliver of double sided tape. Immediately I had all 5 bars in my house when I would get only 3-4 right before. While I am posting, it dropped to 3-4 bars again. This might be part of the issue, but there might be something else going on.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
FWIW...........

I have done some further testing and am finding this to be the ticket. If I do the death grip in the lowest signal area of my house the bars will fall from 3 to 1 but it will not lose signal. This credits the theory that all phones have that type of reception issue to which I was not surprised.

Previously, I could make this drop signal even in the strongest signal area of my house. Better yet, I actually now have reliable 3G service. This is the first time with any phone in my house that I could achieve that.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
if you take out the sim tray, you will see on the under side of the tray where the gold contacts of the SIM CARD lay, the edges have some sort of insulation sprayed/glued on. It's enough to prevent the gold contacts from coming in contact with the metal tray itself.

Perhaps the goal here is to PREVENT THE GOLD CONTACTS FROM TOUCHING THE TRAY - not the other way around where you want it to touch the metal tray??

shawntkeating

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
NJ
Lol, i bet apple is fumbling around this thread as we speak. Hopefully we will get a new sim card this week that has plastic correctly surrounding the metal contact.

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I went to an AT&T store to inquire about the MyCell thing they have now and read on MR that it stopped the signal being lost (in a probably buried forum). He asked me to demonstrate it in the store and I couldn't for the life of me get it to drop at all but could an hour earlier at the Apple store (loving the BT keyboard for iPad). He had the issue too but not in his store.

Sort of thinking the existing 3G coverage has been shoddy at least in my neighborhood but next to a good signal it's not noticeable? Anyone else? MyCell seems interesting.

I have figured out with mine that if I am in an area with coverage that is 3 bars to 5 bars and I put my hand over the lower left it loses signal like everyone is reporting.

If I am in an area with a solid five bars, touching the lower left doesn't do anything.

I think that is why some see it and some dont.

Unfortunately I have it happen at home because my signal is 3-5 fluctuating all the time.

I will also note that the bumper did nothing to fix mine. It still did it in areas where the signal was not SUPER STRONG.

Sure wish we could still punch that code to get the actual DB signal number instead of the bars.

I just pulled my sim card out and the metal part on the sim in offset. The side with hardly any non metal area touches the sim tray.

Im waiting 20 to see what happens and if this doesn't work ill try insulating that side with some shrink tubing. and see what happens.

catmistake

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
Same here, and with the posted photos in this thread. Right now the sim to metal tray theory is as wild as any, since we cannot get any consistent proof that this makes any impact on the reception. There are far too many people reporting that the removal and replacement technique has made no impact or a negative impact on their reception to consider it a credible workaround, much less a fix.

o_O

Yes, so if we've learned anything, quickly jumping to conclusions based on personal experience and scattered and conflicting reports is the only way to get anything done.

I know I shouldn't post... I'm just a little excited.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Yeah but the ipad antena isn't on the outside is it? Or at least part of the frame that is touching the sim card tray.

Yeah, thats what i mean - that's why it doesn't affect the iPad's reception even though the sim touches the tray.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
You don't need to wait the 20 minutes. The OP's experience had a 20 minute delay so he included that info but time has nothing to do with this fix, it's a contact issue not a reset issue.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Great news if this is the fix. I don't have an iPhone 4 yet to try myself. Couple buddies at work have it, so I will see if it fixes theirs.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
For those that might believe the contact issue with the microSIM tray isn't a problem, consider this:

simpoints.jpg

Points 1 and 2 are microSIM contacts, only for that purpose; point 3 is the microSIM tray itself - and if there's some grounding or shorting going on between 1 and 3, or 2 and 3, or heaven forbid 1, 2, and 3 all at the same time or even sporadically, then again, "Houston, we have a problem."

While gripping the phone tighter decreases the resistance and increases the capacitance effect on signal attenuation (wicks away more energy off the antenna bands), it could have the secondary effect as I've already noted of causing that gap between points 1 and 2 and the microSIM tray itself, 3.

Does seem a bit odd that microSIMs don't have their contact points shielded on all 4 sides, doesn't it? Weird...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.