Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Well, here I am. I have switched from PCs to Macs then to PCs again, then to Macs, and now I am on PCs. And also on Android phones, very much out of Apple's ecosystem.

I currently have a 9th gen Core i7-9700K with 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD + 512 GB SSD + 4 TB HDD, NVIDIA 2070 RTX, which I bought in 2019, with a 32-inch 4K monitor. As my secondary desktop, I have an HP mini PC with a 7th gen Core i5, 8 GB RAM, and a 256 GB SSD, coupled with a 27-inch 2560x1440 monitor. As my main laptop computer, I have an LG Gram 17 with an 11th gen Core i7, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD, and, as my secondary laptop, an LG Gram 14 with an 8th gen Core i5, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD. I also keep an old 13-inch MacBook Pro with TouchBar.

Now, I am thinking about what my next generation of computers will look like. My current computers are fine, and they suit me well, but I still cannot stop thinking of the next step. My main desktop computer is the one I use the most. Sometimes I feel I get too hot when I am near it; it is no wonder as it has a desktop Core i7 and a dedicated video card. And too many wires...

In an ideal world, I would have an all-in-one, small and without many wires, and with little heat dissipated. But the all-in-one PCs are just bad computers. Here in Brazil, we have the Dell Inspiron AIO, which is OK, but a far cry from what I have now. And there is the iMac, which looks very fine, but it has only a 24-inch screen and a limited-size SSD. If I upgrade it too much, the price will go up so much and without too much benefit from what I have now. Yes, there is the Mac Studio, but it comes with additional wires and a higher price tag.

I could buy a Dell XPS desktop, which looks nicer than my custom PC, and a 57-inch Samsung G9 monitor to go with it and have an ultimate setup. Or I could go with an iMac, more limited but more elegant. Or I could wait for the next-gen computers to check how they will look like.

Suggestions?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Well, here I am. I have switched from PCs to Macs then to PCs again, then to Macs, and now I am on PCs. And also on Android phones, very much out of Apple's ecosystem.

I currently have a 9th gen Core i7-9700K with 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD + 512 GB SSD + 4 TB HDD, NVIDIA 2070 RTX, which I bought in 2019, with a 32-inch 4K monitor. As my secondary desktop, I have an HP mini PC with a 7th gen Core i5, 8 GB RAM, and a 256 GB SSD, coupled with a 27-inch 2560x1440 monitor. As my main laptop computer, I have an LG Gram 17 with an 11th gen Core i7, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD, and, as my secondary laptop, an LG Gram 14 with an 8th gen Core i5, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD. I also keep an old 13-inch MacBook Pro with TouchBar.

Now, I am thinking about what my next generation of computers will look like. My current computers are fine, and they suit me well, but I still cannot stop thinking of the next step. My main desktop computer is the one I use the most. Sometimes I feel I get too hot when I am near it; it is no wonder as it has a desktop Core i7 and a dedicated video card. And too many wires...

In an ideal world, I would have an all-in-one, small and without many wires, and with little heat dissipated. But the all-in-one PCs are just bad computers. Here in Brazil, we have the Dell Inspiron AIO, which is OK, but a far cry from what I have now. And there is the iMac, which looks very fine, but it has only a 24-inch screen and a limited-size SSD. If I upgrade it too much, the price will go up so much and without too much benefit from what I have now. Yes, there is the Mac Studio, but it comes with additional wires and a higher price tag.

I could buy a Dell XPS desktop, which looks nicer than my custom PC, and a 57-inch Samsung G9 monitor to go with it and have an ultimate setup. Or I could go with an iMac, more limited but more elegant. Or I could wait for the next-gen computers to check how they will look like.

Suggestions?
whats your use case for this next pc? Gaming? I currently own an legion 7i desktop with an i7-13700k with an rtx 4080 and can throw anything at it with ease.

Reactions: Basic75

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
whats your use case for this next pc? Gaming? I currently own an legion 7i desktop with an i7-13700k with an rtx 4080 and can throw anything at it with ease.
Well, my RTX 2070 is more than enough for all the games that I play. I prefer 2D retro games, and I have extensively played TMNT: Shredder's Revenge. I am not much into 3D gaming. I suppose any video card would do. My main issue is that my CPU is big, makes noise, is hot, and consumes energy. I do not want to replace it with more of the same. I would prefer a small computer running quietly and cold, without too many cables and wires. A PC version of a larger-screen iMac would be really fine...

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Currently the AMD chips run cooler than intel, especially if youre looking into a low power version like their U or hs series.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're in the wrong thread: Flip Flopping between macOS and Windows :p

Now, I am thinking about what my next generation of computers
Food for thought on next gen. Much of your existing components will not work, i.e., DDR4 vs. DDR5, so keep that in mind.

In an ideal world, I would have an all-in-one
Personally I think prebuilt AIOs are a mistake, unless you go with maybe some sort of ITX build that doesn't include a monitor. Many of them seem to cut corners on using mobile components, i.e., you're just getting a big laptop at this point.

I could buy a Dell XPS desktop, which looks nicer than my custom PC
First, I think you'll be better off building one yourself. I think going with the likes of HP, Dell, etc you're going with a company that is more interested in pushing out computers as a commodity,

Also from what I've seen, I'd stay away from Dell, they really embraced the idea of using proprietary components in their desktop computers.

While these videos are from 2021, and not about the XPS line, these two (there's others) show that Dell is full on making ewaste where you you will not be able to upgrade much. Also consider the bloat that is included. I've had good look with Dell laptops, but the more I see reviews, tear downs and other Yts. The more I think you can do better.

While expensive, consider StarForge - they had a rocky start but seem to be making some really good PCs. Origin PC also makes some really good high end prebuilt PCs. If you have a Microcenter near you, consider buying a built for you computer.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
To be fair, the videos are on the G5, which truly was the Walmart level gaming system. They skimped on everything! They have been discontinued for some time however. The XPS would make a decent machine, not made for gaming but will do a fair job. But yes, Dell does use some proprietary parts making upgrading of storage, video and Ram the only upgrade path. Can't swap motherboards or power supplies.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Well, I am on a m2 pro mac mini, upgraded the ram to 32 and have 6 gb of external ssd's and the mentioned 57" Samsung G9.
Yes, there are some wires but nothing scary and the setup works like charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.