Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
lha72 said:
If it's broke, send it back. Should have done that when it arrived and didn't work, rather than lugging it to the store, then whine over a scratch on the handle, and the note "in english" and the subsequent conversations "in english". Not too many years ago people actually ordered from catalogs, and when items arrived but were broken, or the wrong size, they sent them back and got replacements in 6-8 weeks, no whining.

Hey, everyone stop bashing this guy! After his G5 came DOA and having the shipping components all get lost, I don't think he wants you telling him what he should have done, because in hindsight, sure he could have sent it in. But guess what, hindsight is 20/20. So let this guy be! Give him suggestions that aren't "sue apple cauez that suks and u reallys should get a nu g5, but ure an idito for not doing that 1st" or anything close to that. Give him moral support if you need to, but PLEASE STOP BASHING THIS GUY! THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
MisterMe said:
Admit it or not, you gambled. You lost. Learn from this experience. My guess is that at 7,481 CAD, your G5 is the most expensive thing that you ever bought. You have to treat your money like its your money. You expect other people to take care of you. Well, as difficult as this is for you to conceive, most people cannot care less about you or your money. You see that jimsowden followed the DOA procedures and received satisfaction.

In closing let me tell you this: when you need help, you need to be nice to every one that you encounter along the way. Alternatively, you can talk with them in a manner that shows them you know the game. However, this won't work if you don't actually know the game. In and of itself, it was not a mistake for you to take your computer to the Apple dealer. However, you cannot walk in showing the attitude you showed in your first two posts in this thread. My experience is that if you deal with service people as an adult, you will get excellent service. If you don't, well you are still waiting for a working computer.

seelab... the only valid point is from MisterMe (rather narrowly focused name, now that I think of it) is that you have to be careful. However, how much more careful you could have been in this situation is really debatable. Assuming you've recited everything as it occurred - and there is little reason to doubt otherwise, there seems little else that could have likely been done.

I share the other comments that have been posted: criticisms like the ones from MisterMe and jkaz are both unhelpful, presumptuous, and demeaning. MisterMe falls down on several fronts in terms of logically arguing his point:
- As one other member pointed out, it is hardly a gamble when the company itself offers you two choices and even indicates the DOA option is suspect.
- There is no guarantee whatsoever that you would received superior service from a DOA replacement rather than a local repair. In fact, the advantage to local service is usually that you have immediate access to the persons involved: personal interaction can go a long way in smoothing out problems. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help here.
- There was no indication that you "did not talk nicely" or mistreated Apple representatives or 3rd party in any way, and therefore one should not presume that you are at fault in this regard. Clearly, you were expressing frustration that any person in your situation would likely feel. I assume that while you were angry, you would not have necessarily stood in the store "screaming and shouting".
- To use MisterMe's and jkaz's somewhat flawed arguments, opting for the faster and more personal local service would be LESS of a gamble as you were warned by Apple reps that DOA replacement could be lengthy and prolonged.
- MisterMe uses "jimsowden followed the DOA procedures" and succeeded as proof that you pursued the poorer option. This is faulty logic in that what is presented is only anecdotal in nature: basically, it happened to this one person. There is no statistical basis for furthering this argument to justify that jimsowden's solution would have worked for you.
- It is true that no business (or person for that matter) should operate without a contingency. However, under REASONABLE circumstances (and this would likely be the standards used in any civil court proceeding), assuming that your problem (a personal computer problem in the 21st century) could be fixed with due cause within 2 months is not unreasonable. Although statistically unreliable and incomplete, the statements of many members on this forum clearly suggests what you experienced was NOT the norm.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am also a fellow Canadian in Ontario who last summer, tried to order a 17" PB and failed miserably after waiting almost 5 weeks. After multiple shipping delays, I discovered that Apple Canada has placed the wrong internal order. I cancelled my order immediately. Furthermore, I have not had favourable experiences with Purolator. In one instance, a couriered document that only would have required 3 hours by car to reach its destination did not arrive for 5 days. Given that I was couriering a research proposal that was time sensitive, such mishandling is unacceptable.

The previous suggestion that you try contacting your credit card company is a good one. I'm not sure what they can do; however, I have spoken to credit card companies on other matters. Essentially, if the product delivered is not the item promised (tricky in your situation) or not delivered at all, perhaps you have some recourse.

And lastly, I felt I had to write such a lengthy post because I am both surprised and outraged at the callous replies you received and even more so, the presumptuous and borderline demeaning tones taken by MisterMe and jkaz. Let's assume that you did do something wrong... such persons are still in no personal or authoritative position relative to you to respond in such a tone. Criticize perhaps; demean - no.

I have posted on many other (heaven forbid) Windows forums, and I have yet to see the level of poor taste that a few MacForum members have sunk to.

Bonne chance.

i_am_a_cow

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2001
A sad story about my grandma and bad service.

I was pretty upset tonight (maybe not as much as I would be if I were you) because a story about my trying to help my grandma and grandpa looks like it's starting to unfold.

So I signed up for this "PeoplePC" ISP for my grandma, because Juno wasn't treating her very well. When I called the company, they told me that I could use windows software, as opposed to their browser and email client like juno. They didn't tell me that grandma had to use their dialer. Windows dialer software didn't work right away because they "encrypted" the user and password. So I found out how to get the "encrypted" username and password and made my grandma a DUN connection. The dialer that came with PeoplePC sucks. It tries to disconnect when you close the window, but since it is web-based, the dialog box that comes up gets cut off so you can't see the buttons (I have big text enabled so my grandma and grandpa can see a little better, since my grandma was complaining about that). Now, they cut her off so that she has to use this dialer that doesn't work. It's hard for her to use the computer any way, and I just can't imagine how it is going to be for her to try and figure out how to install and use this terrible dialer. My grandma said she was very sad, and that makes me sad. Plus, when I tried to call the support number, it was busy. I'm pretty upset.

I wish I could go help her, but she lives in Indiana, and I live in Minnesota.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
jsw said:
Just ignore those who repond to these types of things by telling you what you should have done months ago - or, rather, what they think you should have done - or why what you did was "stupid".

The people who offer suggestions on what you could do now are generally much more helpful, even if you don't always agree with them.

I'm happy that Apple finally called back, and appalled that it took so long to get something started. I hope it all works out for you now. Best of luck!

I am with this guy. all this tread as start to prove to me is why I think the apple zealots are the worse of the zealots. This are the idoits who think apple can do no wrong and when ever something goes wrong god forbid it be apple that screwed up so it must be the person. I bet if it went where you went DOA and it did not work they would be saying you screwed up and should of taken it to a local authorized shop. Face there is a reason I think apple Zealots are the lowest of the low (I dont like any zealot but I hate the apple ones the most) Well zealot boys thx for proving my point yet again

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
i don't even think it's that they are zealots...

their replies and attacks on character where immature, useless, and arrogant. and as for jkaz, that was possibly the most useless and idiotic reply i have ever seen on this forum. it was like you just wanted to say something for the sake of it and it had to be demeaning. how do you pronounce jkas?

seelab, good luck. i agree with the others in that you need to keep with it, and hopefully this replacement will go smoothly and you will have a working computer soon.

this forum is intended as a constructive medium for fellow mac users. when someone has a problem (especially a legitimate one) we should all be attempting to help them, not make trivial and childish remarks that do nothing to solve their problem or increase the value of this community.

technocoy

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Mechcozmo said:
Hey, everyone stop bashing this guy! After his G5 came DOA and having the shipping components all get lost, I don't think he wants you telling him what he should have done, because in hindsight, sure he could have sent it in. But guess what, hindsight is 20/20. So let this guy be! Give him suggestions that aren't "sue apple cauez that suks and u reallys should get a nu g5, but ure an idito for not doing that 1st" or anything close to that. Give him moral support if you need to, but PLEASE STOP BASHING THIS GUY! THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Thank you Mechcozmo. You're a good person. People need to quit bashing on him. If I were him, I probably would have done the same thing, cause you don't know how long it will take apple before they finally would send you another G5. You guys know you probably would have done the same thing if you were eager about using your PMG5 too. I think what he's doing is good.

Seelab have you thought about maybe going out and buying a video card for your PM G5 at a retail store? Or even seeing if someone here on the forum has one you could buy from them? Just curious cause, maybe that one will get to you faster. - DHL, makes me so mad.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
seelab said:
Hi,
I gambled ? No, i didn't. I chose the better option at this time.
How could i know the technician would do a bad job at the store.
It took days and lots of phone calls before Applecare technicians talked about the DOA replacement option. The first solutions they gave me to this problem was "go to the nearest store". So, I did that.

Its not really a gamble when it's a seemingly simple procedure to fix. Replace a logic board or video card doesn't seem like something that would take 2 months to fix. Even if the repair were to take longer than expected, I would have guessed 1 extra week, possibly an extra 2 weeks if things really went to the crapper, not an extra 6-7 weeks.

jkaz is a jackass.

And any manager will tell you that the people who ask for something for free never usually get anything, especially if they're not nice, but people who ask nicely for some solution to rectify the problem (ie: your lost productivity over the past 2 months) will get something. :)

I applaud you for not talking any serious $h!t about apple in your post. Or anyone, for that matter. I think you handled it well.

Agreed. I would have gone mental and lost it completely. Or at least I would have trashed the companies involved, but you didn't.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
I am very disappointed with the way some of the posters here have treated seelab. We are a community here! We are supposed to help one another and offer our support, not blame him. Like anyone would knowingly bring this type of situation upon themselves. This could have happened to any one of us. I know that I would be extremely pissed off if I had spent that much money on a computer I couldn't even use!

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
MisterMe said:
Admit it or not, you gambled. You lost.

Yes, he gambled on one of the two options given to him by Apple, but no, he hasn't lost yet. Other than time lost without a working computer, and the extra aggravation and knowledge gained from this sorry episode.

seelab, remember that you are entitled to a working computer for your hard earned dollars.

My suggestion is to get in touch with the supervisor at Apple in charge of repairs and politely but firmly request a new working computer otherwise you'll cancel the sale because you never received a working model in the first place.

If he says that that's not possible because you took it to the Apple reseller etc. Reply that you only followed Apple's advice and that the Apple certified technicians at the store couldn't get it working - hence your request for a new replacement. Politely repeat that you work hard for your money and that you think that you deserve a working unit for such a large sum of money. If he refuses, cancel the sale and let your CC company deal with it and then ship the non-working unit back to them.

Edit - Most CC companies allow you up to 60 days to dispute a charge, so time is now of the essence if you choose to go that route

sunmade

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
Has your problem been solved yet?
I am waiting for my 2.5 G5 for the last 2 months, and I sure hope it works mint when here.

Keep your head up, your new machine is on its way...

I feel for you, congrats on keeping cool as far as possible!!
peace

seelab

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
I posted the same story on Apple discussions board (in PowerMac G5 - Usage) two days ago and i just received an email from Apple. They removed my post.

"Your post titled "MY POWERMAC G5 - 2 MONTHS IN HELL" has been removed from Apple Discussions. This area is intended to address technical issues. Posts that do not conform to the Apple Discussions Terms of Use are inappropriate."

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
seelab said:
I posted the same story on Apple discussions board (in PowerMac G5 - Usage) two days ago and i just received an email from Apple. They removed my post.

"Your post titled "MY POWERMAC G5 - 2 MONTHS IN HELL" has been removed from Apple Discussions. This area is intended to address technical issues. Posts that do not conform to the Apple Discussions Terms of Use are inappropriate."
Apparently, the fact that the Mac doesn't work at all isn't considered a technical issue. :rolleyes:

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I think they disaproved of the use of hell is my only guess. that or apple being it useal panzy self and does not like to admit they ships some computers that are broken and that they also have some crappy tech support like everyone else

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Nothings perfect. I mean my friend got a laptop from Dell shipped to him and it was DOA, sent it back, they sent him another one, it was DOA, finally they sent him a working one but it had the wrong specs. Instead of a P4 it had a Celeron, contacted them and they said that they would only refund part of his money for the specs and that. Well they only sent him a check for $150. He's not doing business with them anymore.

Companies will make mistakes. Apple should know this, but still, they have faithful people out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.