Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Is thispossible?

I bought a Rokinon 14mm for my Canon 6D and for my surprise my lens came in calibrated. The focus was spot on. If set to Infinity it was really infinity and I know many people complain that their version is way off.

I took this lens on a road trip and after this guy tripped on my tripod which caused my camera and lens to fall hard I noticed after that my pictures were blurry. I was in the hotel room looking at my pictures and noticed and before and after.. did some test right there and yes.. the infinity is no longer infinity focus, now its about 1.5 feet or something..

How is it possible? What happened inside the lens for this to happen? Should I be concerned now.. should I do anything?

Glad the camera is OK..

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The lens alignment may be off. Lenses as I'm sure you're aware have a lot of components and its possible that something is now out of spec from the fall. Take it back to the manufacturer for repair.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
The lens alignment may be off. Lenses as I'm sure you're aware have a lot of components and its possible that something is now out of spec from the fall. Take it back to the manufacturer for repair.

I don't think Rokinon have repair center in the US... anyway, the lens still works but I need to remember where the infinity is at now.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Glad the camera is OK..

Thanks

?? How do you know the camera is OK ?? Did you try taking a variety of pictures with a different lens to confirm that the focus issue isn't with the body's reflex mirror or AF focusing system.?

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
?? How do you know the camera is OK ?? Did you try taking a variety of pictures with a different lens to confirm that the focus issue isn't with the body's reflex mirror or AF focusing system.?

Yes.. I did.. all is ok with the camera.. the lens is the problem..

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds like something fundamental has moved inside, a lens element or part of the focus mechanism. infinity now focussing at 1.5ft is a huge issue and I wouldn't think anything you can live with. But as you are asking if you "should do anything" I'm puzzled...if you are happy with the images then nothing needs doing, if not it needs to go for service.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Sounds like something fundamental has moved inside, a lens element or part of the focus mechanism. infinity now focussing at 1.5ft is a huge issue and I wouldn't think anything you can live with. But as you are asking if you "should do anything" I'm puzzled...if you are happy with the images then nothing needs doing, if not it needs to go for service.

Well the images are still really sharp as long as I focus at at 1.5 if I want to get infinity focus. Close up arealso very sharp and is seems like those didn't change.. that's whats weird..

Anyway.. I'm not sure if something is loose and focus will change again.. many of those lenses they dont come calibrated anyway.. My Rokinon 8mm fish eye the infinity is also nowhere near the infinity mark and I never dropped. LoL

Maybe after my trip I will take to someplace to fix it..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My only concern would be how will the lens be on an ongoing basis. If something is knocked loose then you may see over time the lens degrade. Its impossible to say, but something is damaged internally and the degradation may not stop at infinity.

Reactions: alexxk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.