Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Hello,I hope it's fit to this thread ;
wondering- the Apple leather case made from a genuine/ real leather ?

Yes it is real leather but to people that are used to real leather it doesn't feel like leather because it has been worked and treated so much it barely feels like leather.

The leather in my neighbors BMW feels much better and that isn't even leather, it is plastic made to look like leather.

Yes I know they did what they did because they wanted to make the case thin but they also did it so that they could get away with dirt cheap leather to boost their profits.

I'm surprised they haven't come out with a 'genuine vegan leather' otherwise known as plastic.

Reactions: dk206

Kan206

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2015
Yes it is real leather but to people that are used to real leather it doesn't feel like leather because it has been worked and treated so much it barely feels like leather.

The leather in my neighbors BMW feels much better and that isn't even leather, it is plastic made to look like leather.

Yes I know they did what they did because they wanted to make the case thin but they also did it so that they could get away with dirt cheap leather to boost their profits.

I'm surprised they haven't come out with a 'genuine vegan leather' otherwise known as plastic.

Thanks for your comment,
I probably go with the silicone i'm vegetarian so its little disturb, also i saw it gets scratches very easily and become very dirty ( "Rose gray" that i saw on a friend's phone).

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Hey. I just noticed the midnight blue for the 6S + is brighter then the one for the 6S. Or it might just be me?

I bought my second leather case, in midnight blue and it looks a lot darker than the one earlier in this thread. More like a navy blue.

Edit: exchanged it for the saddle brown. I had this one when the 6S came out. Exchanged it for the black one. Now I have black and saddle brown. Now to wait for the saddle brown color to start wearing in.

Last edited:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Check out these stretch marks
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

Opened up two brand new cases at Best Buy (Yes, after I bought them). They both came with stretch marks, and the blue was not as dark as last year's model. It was a much lighter blue. Don't know if done purposely, or if they are going with a lighter shade.

Reactions: Spencerdl

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Opened up two brand new cases at Best Buy (Yes, after I bought them). They both came with stretch marks, and the blue was not as dark as last year's model. It was a much lighter blue. Don't know if done purposely, or if they are going with a lighter shade.

I kinda like the "stretch marks" because it makes each case unique and it looks more like real leather (which it is). Having said that my new midnight blue case does not have such noticeable marks. I can verify that this year's blue is lighter than last year's...I have the blue from last year and most of the time it actually looks black. I specifically bought the newer one because it actually looks blue. I can also confirm the leather texture is different and personally I prefer the newer version, last year's feels kind of rubbery and artificial compared to the newer ones. I now have both the midnight blue and saddle colors and love them both.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Check out these stretch marks View attachment 608358 View attachment 608359 View attachment 608360 View attachment 608361 View attachment 608362

Because the case is genuine leather, each one is unique - check out my pics in post #494 https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...r-space-gray-ip6-ip6s-updates.1916469/page-20

.....my case, although is the same colour (midnight blue), looks totally different to yours.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
a little over a month of use, haven't take it off and still feels nice and soft. didn't quite patina quickly like the saddle brown but the edges are showing a little use.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
There was a post where some girl treated her leather case with Kiwi leather protectant. And kept it looking new for a long time.

Anyone use any leather waterproofing sprays or waxes? Before and after pics?
[doublepost=1452140117][/doublepost]
I understand the open bottom, just saying I'm a bit nervous. I am very careful with my phone, almost ocd.

Is there a skin or wrap just for the sides?

I feel you. I felt the same way when I first got the case for the 6 Plus. I really wanted a case that covered the bottom.

But after a year of use, I have no damage on my phone. It's actually pretty tough for anything to end up scratching that part.

nakedjaxx

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
I'm pretty disappointed with the Apple Leather (Pink) case I purchased for $55 from Apple website when the iPhone6 first launched in Sept 2014. It's has already shown wear and torn. The edges are all rough up. NOT COOL APPLE!
KFqDV3B.jpg

bahndoos

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Which is strange considering saddle brown doesn't really suit the space grey phones, it looks much better on the white fronted phones.
Disagree. The rich tan colour of the saddle brown case goes very well with black.
[doublepost=1452786596][/doublepost]This guy is so excited about the patina on his saddle brown case he made a video of it. Looks pretty good I think.

frag2

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Is it true the soft touch leather backing [the inside that touches the phone] bleeds onto the antennae lines for the silver/gold/rose gold iphones?

I'm tempted to get the saddle brown but keep reading some phones getting the lines stained

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I've given some of this a decent read - but, only seen a few conflicting opinions.

Any of the more experienced people here know whether or not we should be conditioning the leather in any way?

Thanks. Was skeptical of these cases - but have been using one for a couple of weeks and love it.

Reactions: armixia

merc-tt

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2015
I've given some of this a decent read - but, only seen a few conflicting opinions.

Any of the more experienced people here know whether or not we should be conditioning the leather in any way?

Thanks. Was skeptical of these cases - but have been using one for a couple of weeks and love it.
Conditioning it will make it more soft and supple but will also darken the leather. So be aware of that.

Seanblueman

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2016
My iPhone 6s saddle brown 2weeks of use and I'm hurting this case

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 612
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.