Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Whatever "curation" Apple does - it doesn't seem to include actually running and using the app once.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Does anyone know if the native Gmail app supports/will support sending from multiple from addresses and replying automatically from the address that an e-mail was sent to? I have several e-mail addresses linked to my Gmail account and would love to have these features in a native Gmail app.
Nope, not even a hint of an option to do that. That was the main reason I tried this. An app that is a wrapper for the web yet cannot even do what you can do in a web browser is rather disappointing.

And Google's answer for iOS Mail to do that is not much better: you can have iOS Mail use a different address for replies but it has to be your default send-as address as setup in gmail (using a browser to set it up).

I don't know why gmail via exchange (or IMAP for that matter) can't follow your request to "Reply from the same address the message was sent to." If that worked in iOS Mail it would be "good enough" for me. (Best would be being able to choose before sending any email message.)

Michael

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Whatever "curation" Apple does - it doesn't seem to include actually running and using the app once.

Why do you think that (it's not true, anyway). The app runs, and it doesn't crash (at least not pervasively). It has a problem connecting to the push notification service, but that might not be enough to reject an app outright.

MightyMac007

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Again, how did this get through Apple's supposed strict approval process???

Unless it was only to embarrass Google.

Actually Google has already taken the blame for the issue and I'm sure they will fix it. I assure you neither company would take blame for something unless they were actually to blame.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Nope, not even a hint of an option to do that. That was the main reason I tried this. An app that is a wrapper for the web yet cannot even do what you can do in a web browser is rather disappointing.

And Google's answer for iOS Mail to do that is not much better: you can have iOS Mail use a different address for replies but it has to be your default send-as address as setup in gmail (using a browser to set it up).

I don't know why gmail via exchange (or IMAP for that matter) can't follow your request to "Reply from the same address the message was sent to." If that worked in iOS Mail it would be "good enough" for me. (Best would be being able to choose before sending any email message.)

Michael

Thanks for the heads up. Color me disappointed! All I really want from Gmail on iOS is the ability to select a pre-populated list of from addresses that I've already configured via Gmail's website and have the interface be smart enough to give me the option to either a.) send all mail (regardless of which address it was sent to) as my default from address OR b.) send mail from the address that it was sent to.

This is as easy to configure as a radio button in the full blown Gmail website. I don't know why that same experience can't translate to mobile platforms other than Android. The Gmail app for Android respects the preferences you've set in the preferences on Gmail's website, so the iOS app should be able to do the same.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep dreaming. Hopefully, Google will keep developing the Gmail app for iOS; but if this first attempt is any indication of their enthusiasm for the platform, it doesn't look promising.

cshsia

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
New York, NY
Just shows how people don't test their code enough, even people with resources of Google. People simply don't like to check their own work, you gotta get outside users to look at it.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Just shows how people don't test their code enough, even people with resources of Google. People simply don't like to check their own work, you gotta get outside users to look at it.

The notification bug can easily be something that went wrong when switching from development push servers to production push servers and you wouldn't see the bug until it is in the App Store.

Same thing happened to one of my apps, was working fine in development (push notifications) and then once in the App Store it stopped.

P.S. Not really on topic but, 5 more posts and I can get an avatar!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
All the complaints about Gmail via exchange archiving and not deleting. Do what I do..... create a folder/label on Gmail named "IOS Trash". Instead of hitting the trash icon, do a move to IOS Trash. Then at your leisure just clear out that folder. Simple!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Looks like it got pulled. I'm getting the message, "This item is temporarily unavailable." Hopefully, Google is uploading a fix.

This is where the Apple App store approval process sucks. On Android a bug like this would be fix with in one day with a quick update. On Apple the update takes 1-2 weeks to get threw the "Approval process"

Testing is very limited when you can only run it on so many devices with out going threw the App store a lot of bugs just can not be caught

Far from it. It doesn't even allow zooming.

+1

Why did someone downvote this? The statement is 100% true. Gmail on Android is perfect. I was really hoping Google would just copy the exact Gmail design from Android and put it on this app. What a shame...

Answer you question it is simple. It does not bash android and pointing out than a Android basher was wrong.

It speaks volumes on why Apple fans are though so little of because they can not accept the fact that something else works and people do like things that do not have a shinny Apple logo on it.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Oh well, I guess I'll keep dreaming. Hopefully, Google will keep developing the Gmail app for iOS; but if this first attempt is any indication of their enthusiasm for the platform, it doesn't look promising.
Google's enthusiasm for the iOS platform is decidedly mixed.

I've tried most of Google's iOS apps and they typically debut in a condition that might be described as half-baked. A lot of them don't seem to progress much farther; the ones that do usually go many months before there's any improvement.

The Google Search and Google Earth apps seem to be actively maintained. They also just published an update to the Google+ app. The Google Voice app is usable although sadly it does not work as a dialer for non-iPhone devices.

That said, Gmail is the popular free Google service (beyond Search), so one can be hopefully that they will put more than a modicum of effort into maintaining and improving this iOS app.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Thanks for the heads up. Color me disappointed! All I really want from Gmail on iOS is the ability to select a pre-populated list of from addresses that I've already configured via Gmail's website and have the interface be smart enough to give me the option to either a.) send all mail (regardless of which address it was sent to) as my default from address OR b.) send mail from the address that it was sent to.

This is as easy to configure as a radio button in the full blown Gmail website. I don't know why that same experience can't translate to mobile platforms other than Android. The Gmail app for Android respects the preferences you've set in the preferences on Gmail's website, so the iOS app should be able to do the same.

Don't discount using gmail in mobile safari. Heck, the app this thread is about would have been OK if it was exactly how gmail works in mobile safari, but with push notifications.

I could have sworn the last time I tried the mobile version of Gmail it didn't allow "reply as" and I had to switch to desktop version to do that--not fun in mobile safari.

But I just tried it now and it worked great--it even recognizes "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" setting.

I'm almost thinking of using it and just using gmail exchange for push notifications (just the sound).

Michael

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This is where the Apple App store approval process sucks. On Android a bug like this would be fix with in one day with a quick update. On Apple the update takes 1-2 weeks to get threw the "Approval process"

That's not true. Regular updates are approved within 5 days or so these days. Critical bug fixes can be released the next day.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

I guess you don't know much about the App Store approval process, if an update is flagged as a critical update (like this one should) it can be approved within a couple of hours, not weeks. Even normal updates are usually 3-5 days.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That's not true. Regular updates are approved within 5 days or so these days. Critical bug fixes can be released the next day.

still a fairly long time span to get threw. Compare that to android where they could get 3-4 updates out in a day to try to fix a bug. It would have much quicker turn around time. Even at 1 day update that means it is a least one day between updates to track down a bug. That would mean say 2-3 days to solve a problem that could of been solved on Android in a single day.

A good example of these quick updates being helpful was on an App call BeWeather for Android where they were having trouble tracking down a bug with the widget freezing. They had a show time span that the updates were being released at around 2 per day while they solved it. Yes they solved it but it took them a little time. It was a rather hard one to track down as it was not really repeatable, and pretty much complete random so it is pretty easy how it made it out of testing. Large sample sizing made it a heck of a lot easier to track down.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Don't discount using gmail in mobile safari. Heck, the app this thread is about would have been OK if it was exactly how gmail works in mobile safari, but with push notifications.

I could have sworn the last time I tried the mobile version of Gmail it didn't allow "reply as" and I had to switch to desktop version to do that--not fun in mobile safari.

But I just tried it now and it worked great--it even recognizes "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" setting.

I'm almost thinking of using it and just using gmail exchange for push notifications (just the sound).

Michael

Very, very interesting! Thanks for giving me the idea to also try it in Safari again. The ONLY thing I can see that it's still missing in Safari is the ability to select a From address when composing a new message; but, as you said, it appears that it is at least now respecting the "send mail from the address it was sent to" preference. Awesome find!

I think I am now going to move the Mail icon off my dock and replace it with a link to Gmail via Safari. I'll leave the Exchange portion activated, though, just for the notifications, as you suggested. I'll try this for a few days and see how it works for me and I'll also give the Gmail app a try once it's fixed and re-released. Thanks for your advice!

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Answer you question it is simple. It does not bash android and pointing out than a Android basher was wrong.

It speaks volumes on why Apple fans are though so little of because they can not accept the fact that something else works and people do like things that do not have a shinny Apple logo on it.

huh? It's also "through" not "threw." Unless you want to throw something at it.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
still a fairly long time span to get threw. Compare that to android where they could get 3-4 updates out in a day to try to fix a bug. It would have much quicker turn around time. Even at 1 day update that means it is a least one day between updates to track down a bug. That would mean say 2-3 days to solve a problem that could of been solved on Android in a single day.

A good example of these quick updates being helpful was on an App call BeWeather for Android where they were having trouble tracking down a bug with the widget freezing. They had a show time span that the updates were being released at around 2 per day while they solved it. Yes they solved it but it took them a little time. It was a rather hard one to track down as it was not really repeatable, and pretty much complete random so it is pretty easy how it made it out of testing. Large sample sizing made it a heck of a lot easier to track down.

You are really stretching. Why would what you describe on Android be acceptable? This doesn't happen with any software that I have ever used. That's what beta testers are for.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You are really stretching. Why would what you describe on Android be acceptable? This doesn't happen with any software that I have ever used. That's what beta testers are for.

I point out quick updates help. Reason being is Beta tester did not catch the bug. It was effecting a very limited number of phones out there. They had around 100 people in the closed beta and then they put an open beta on the market.

But in take Apple's system. If you can get say 50 beta testers that would be doing really well but lets face it you can not get that many people in a beta test.
The bug I was talking about would easily make it past a small group of beta tester. It was when it hit the open. That or you release an update and has a bug you missed. Turn around and pop a quick new update (1-2 hours) to fix it. Compare to 1 day on Apple.

But iOS beta testers you get what 5-6? Talk about a huge group. Closed betas on Android have higher counts.

That right there is funny stuff! You practically made the case for Apple. Bravo! :)

How does that make a case. If something is going to take 2-3 updates to complete fix it no matter how you cut it how does that make the case for Apple. The sample size of internal testing is not large enough to get some small bugs. Put it out in the open and you have 1,000 of people so tracking it down. Apple 2-3 updates is a min of 2 extra days on the cycle.

Wondersnite

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Are people actually serious?

Apple releases an iOS update that drains battery life so badly your new $200 + contract iPhone 4S won't even last for a whole day, and it's all fine. But if Google submits a (free) app for a platform that's not even theirs and notifications don't work, everyone's starts bashing them and complaining about user experience.

Am I the only one to think some people here are just plain idiots?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I point out quick updates help. Reason being is Beta tester did not catch the bug. It was effecting a very limited number of phones out there. They had around 100 people in the closed beta and then they put an open beta on the market.

But in take Apple's system. If you can get say 50 beta testers that would be doing really well but lets face it you can not get that many people in a beta test.
The bug I was talking about would easily make it past a small group of beta tester. It was when it hit the open. That or you release an update and has a bug you missed. Turn around and pop a quick new update (1-2 hours) to fix it. Compare to 1 day on Apple.

But iOS beta testers you get what 5-6? Talk about a huge group. Closed betas on Android have higher counts.

Again, no respectable developers do this. You are arguing that it is more convenient on Android to use end users as beta testers. That is not acceptable. When has a developer of a desktop app ever released multiple versions to end users multiple days in a row to track down a bug?

Spending a couple hours looking into a problem and saying "Screw it. Let's see if this works." is not how good developers work.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Google+ isn't buggy at all. idk where everyones getting this "Google makes ****** apps" idea from, but G+ is REALLY good, especially compared to Facebook...

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
I blinked and missed it!

Interesting that Google is continuing with native iOS apps even while pushing Android. Guess they're just trying to cover all the bases. You can bet Apple wouldn't dream of doing the same - releasing any of their own apps on Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.