Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I used to race quality TAMIYA electric on-road RC Cars that has carbon fiber and Colored Anodized Aluminum parts to keep them light weight. From use i noticed the Aluminum parts will easily get nicks and scratches and the Anodizing did/will wear off on the areas most handled.

It's not made to be durable, it's made to be light weight.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Threw an iCarbons skin on back and sides since day one and forgot about it

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
I used to race quality TAMIYA electric on-road RC Cars that has carbon fiber and Colored Anodized Aluminum parts to keep them light weight. From use i noticed the Aluminum parts will easily get nicks and scratches and the Anodizing did/will wear off on the areas most handled.

It's not made to be durable, it's made to be light weight.

Your phone doesn't come in contact with stones and road surfaces while being driven at 35mph.

I raced RC10 buggys... the only scratches were the ones from stones and coming in contact with the ground. My spare chassis parts were very resistant to any scratches from simple handling and being packed and unpacked in the car.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Your phone doesn't come in contact with stones and road surfaces while being driven at 35mph.

I raced RC10 buggys... the only scratches were the ones from stones and coming in contact with the ground. My spare chassis parts were very resistant to any scratches from simple handling and being packed and unpacked in the car.

I too had many RC parts that were anodized. Never had the easy chipping and peeling. The anodizing is just horrid on these phones coupled with the low grade 6061 aluminum, no bueno.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008

haha, RC10's thats some classic hobby stuff right there. :)

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Because this "defective anodizing coating" has not been confirmed by apple and it is merely supposition and speculation on the part of the apple loyalists and apologists.

Are you trolling or being serious?!

If the anodized coating is peeling off really easily while others are dropping their phones and placing it with keys in their pockets and have no scuffs/nicks whatsoever then there's clearly a problem :rolleyes:

And besides why would apple of all companies admit a fault, have you forgotten what universe you're in?

Like seriously?! Really poor post

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
My Apple store just got in it's stock of replacement Verizon iPhone 5's. I took mine up last week and tried to have it replaced to find out they did not have any. The genius I spoke with put a note on my account confirming that I needed a replacement. Went in today and they swapped it out no questions asked. The first one they brought out was perfect out of the box so Im a happy camper for now. I ordered a Spigen ultra thin air case that is supposed to ship next Tuesday. I got the expedited shipping so I should see it by Friday. Until then Im keeping the phone in a microfiber Oakley sunglasses sleeve.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I have black anodized aluminum flash lights knocking around in a toolbox and they don't get scratched or nicked. It's all in the alloy and in the anodizing, apparently. If only I could make phone calls with my flashlights.

jigmeister

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
mines got three scuffs already.. its so frustrating.

Lost alot of respect for apple when they came out an said 'its aluminium...aluminium scratches'

Its just not pleasing for the loyal fan base who buy every apple product to hear that.. its almost like saying... you bought it ..deal with it

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Personally, I hope the iPhone 5S brings back the all-glass design. That proved to be very resilient (as long as it wasn't dropped) and I never had any marks, scratches, or nicks on my iPhone 4 or 4S. Both were naked the entire time.

Probably ain't happening, though. :(

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
yeah i have had the incase black slider since day one.. its really thin. and works so well ive lived and died by it since iphone 3g

I have the white phone and also picked up the incase slider but in white. I totally like this case and for once don't feel the need to be on a search for a month for the perfect case. I like that it is very light weight like the phone, fits like a glove and the color is a perfect match to the white of the phone. I think it will give just enough protection. Also, even though it is plastic, it has remained scratch less for the the week I've had it. For my last phone I had a white speck case that was also plastic but showed all scratched up the first day I had it.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Lost alot of respect for apple when they came out an said 'its aluminium...aluminium scratches'

Its just not pleasing for the loyal fan base who buy every apple product to hear that.. its almost like saying... you bought it ..deal with it

When are people going to realise that Apple don't care about our feelings. They want our money, we're £/$ to them, we help keep the share price high. They don't make a product thinking, "Let's make sure our loyal fan base are happy".

You bought it, they have your money, that's the only bottom line Apple, or any other company, care about.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I went to set my phone down next to my macbook pro and misjudged - tapping the side of the phone against the side of the macbook and it caused a gouge. Yes, I am keeping it naked but would never expect a small tap to cause such a nick!

Just curious. How did the MacBook Pro fare? Did it nick or gouge too. I ask because according to apple they both are made from the same anodized aluminum 6000 series.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Actually, Type III or "hard" anodizing does change the fundamental toughness of the underlying substrate, in this case aluminum. Type III is a more complicated and aggressive means of creating a thicker oxide layer that actually makes the part stronger. For example, aluminum handgun frames are hard-anodized to make the frame more resistant to the metal fatigue that a firearm is subject to.

Based on current anectodal evidence (everyone seems to be getting little nicks and scratches on the anodized iP5 parts, including me), I would guess that Apple did not spec in hard anodizing. The softer "decorative" anodizing might be acceptable in a lesser product, but Apple's flagship smartphone? A point or two off, big A. ;)

I doubt this is true. It's ( hard ) coating not expensive, especially when apple decided to use a sapphire window on the camera lens instead of plain glass.

The ip5 is meant to be the same as a MacBook Pro Aluminum.

andrewicloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
I have had my handset less than 24 hours and I have a "nic" on the top right hand corner which was not there and all I have done is hold it none stop because I was scared this may happen.

I am so sat it is so noticeable and really annoys me, I have already stated I was to forget about the scuff on the back plate between the glass.

I am sad, last thing I wanted is a trip to apple to moan.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I have the white phone and also picked up the incase slider but in white. I totally like this case and for once don't feel the need to be on a search for a month for the perfect case. I like that it is very light weight like the phone, fits like a glove and the color is a perfect match to the white of the phone. I think it will give just enough protection. Also, even though it is plastic, it has remained scratch less for the the week I've had it. For my last phone I had a white speck case that was also plastic but showed all scratched up the first day I had it.

Yeah the rubber strips inside help with it not scratching.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Incorrect. The phone has to be broken.

Ok let's think about this...you who are reading a policy, or me who has actually cashed in on AppleCare+ two times for cosmetic damage. Basically as long as it is not normal wear and tear and damage from a drop/mishandle, they will replace it. In other words, it does NOT have to be broken.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

I assume you are referring to the alleged email from an Apple executive. That wasn't an official statement from Apple and isn't even confirmed to have come from who it was proported to have come from.

The vast majority of people are having no issues with the anodizing, including myself. It's an issue with some phones, but not some widespread problem.

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
My Apple store just got in it's stock of replacement Verizon iPhone 5's. I took mine up last week and tried to have it replaced to find out they did not have any. The genius I spoke with put a note on my account confirming that I needed a replacement. Went in today and they swapped it out no questions asked. The first one they brought out was perfect out of the box so Im a happy camper for now. I ordered a Spigen ultra thin air case that is supposed to ship next Tuesday. I got the expedited shipping so I should see it by Friday. Until then Im keeping the phone in a microfiber Oakley sunglasses sleeve.

Mind if I ask you when you got your first iPhone?

I received mine on launch day and I went to the apple store yesterday and they told me that it had been two weeks and I could not swap mine out due to the fact that I should have came earlier... I am furious about this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.